Hacking Discussion Playing backups on lower firmwares

ravensfan8448

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I currently have a 1.0.0 switch sitting on my desk waiting for xecuter OS, but I'm afraid the wait to play the games I want will be quite a while based on two things I have seen in the FAQ.

• Q: If a game runs natively on an OFW x.yy and above, can SX OS run the game even if the console has a lower firmware?
    A:
    Currently no. We have added that request to our list of features to look into.
  • Q: Does SX OS support Emunand?
    A:
    Currently it doesn't. This is a feature we can add in the future, but it is low in the priority list because of the small interest to the general public. But because Xecuter SX is also used by advanced users, we will add Emunand support at some point.
Given the above, It sounds like it could be quite some time before I can play the games I'd really like to play on the switch. As far as I am aware, Emunand (emulating NAND on the sd card) would be the best way to play higher firmware games as you could just update the emulated NAND rather than update the system NAND. If emunand is low priority, I wonder if team xecuter has any other plans that may occur sooner that would facilitate higher firmware requirements for backup play.

Just for a reference, here is a link to a stickied post that lists all the switch games and their required firmware:
  • Games required Firmware version

• From that list, it looks like I'll just be playing Mario Kart for awhile. I already have Zelda BOTW with all DLC through CEMU, so playing without the DLC would be less than ideal. There are a few other games for 2.3 or lower that I'd probably play for some time, but the vast majority will require higher firmware.

I'm curious how many other people are out there on lower switch versions, and if this FAQ is tempting any lower firmware switch owners to update?

Reactions: weatMod
D

Deleted-442439

Atmosphere + backuploader is your best bet for lower FW.

The SX products seem to be targeted at a more casual audience and expect you to use the dongle and thus Fusee Gelee for CFW.

Atmosphere will have enunand and will have a backup loader soon, so once Jamais Vu is implemented you will have a easy way to boot into CFW without a dongle / PC

ravensfan8448

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere + backuploader is your best bet for lower FW.

The SX products seem to be targeted at a more casual audience and expect you to use the dongle and thus Fusee Gelee for CFW.

Atmosphere will have enunand and will have a backup loader soon, so once Jamais Vu is implemented you will have a easy way to boot into CFW without a dongle / PC
Yea atmosphere development and the RCM exploit discovery were the primary reasons behind my purchase of a switch about a month ago (luckily it was a 1.0.0). After hearing about the xecuter release though I went ahead and purchased an OS license just to try it out. I haven't heard much about atmosphere since then except a loose 06/15 release date, and everyone saying that it will be vastly superior to xecuter OS in the longterm due to its open nature. I'm curious to see how long xecuter will remain ahead once both CFW are released and available to everyone.

I was unaware that atmosphere already has emunand though, that's awesome.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As has already been suggested, you should wait until Atmosphere with emuNAND support is released, or you should wait for TX to support emuNAND. I don't recommend updating a system on 1.0.0, as it might get an untethered coldboot exploit in the future, and an untethered warmboot exploit is right around the corner.

Dan-the-Rebirth

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I ordered a TX pro for the dongle and early access to backups and homebrew. I think I can stay on my fw till a emunand solution comes out. There are enough games out there that don't require 5.x

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are wanting to play backups, why not just update to current firmware? Xecuter has already confirmed backups on current firmware. Why stay on lower firmwares? Homebrew also works. I been playing the crap out of some SNES games on my 5.1.0 Switch.

Masacci0

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
06/15 is not even a real date, there isn't a real extimated date or period for atmosphere release. They said before the end of summer, but they also said it could be an indicative period for a first, buggy, iteration of atmosphere not meant for public(plebs like us)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew