[Question] is FTP speed bassed on your actual internet speed?

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, here at home, i got a 5mb/s, that would be around 600kbs for download, so i use FlashFXP since like it came out, and every time i transfer an item to X device, the speed seems to be linked somehow to the internet speed.

Is the FTP transfer speed based/linked to the network speed? if i create a AD HOC network between the 2 devices, would the FTP be faster?

I also remember using a crossover cable, and the speed was about 1mb, i tough that the ftp speed supposed to be WAY faster.

Essometer

Needs data
Trophies
Website
none.de
XP
Country
Germany
File you transfer over FTP in your local LAN network have nothing to do with your internet connection. The speed you get over ftp are dependent on the devices (CPU, Storage Medium Speed, connection speed)
and your LAN infrastructure like router and switches. The files in transmission never leave your local LAN, so your internet speed is of no concern. As for speed improvements, just experiment.
AD HOC could make a small difference, but only if your router or switch is a bottleneck in your network.

The FTP protocol can also be used to download or upload file to or from the internet, in which case your internet speed would matter.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to confirm, yes, it is limit by the speed of your internet, since it not a LAN FTP, since the IP i was pointing, was the external one on the device, for me, creating an Ad Hoc connection or using a CrossOver cable or a LAN connection, does the job.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...