Quick! Android vs. iPad..

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I glazed over seeing who and what exactly it would be for. Either device has online bridge apps and some titles are cross-platform. Do some googling of games you think your dad would play and then decide by that. Not having GC doesn't mean that the online play will suck.

Reactions: zeello

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Of the Android pros you'd like to consider are native support for any wired/wireless keyboards, mouse, or almost anythung out of the box and abilitu to add an external memory card.
Connecting a mouse will instantly show a coursor on the screen with full functionality of its components, same goes for keyboard, and capacity could reach up to 128GB (depending on which device you end up buying).

The Nexus 10 is best for software support but its hardware is arguably outdated (doesn't affect much).
Samsung devices are best for hardware and the software is a little less than that of the Nexus line (they take much less time to release updates in general compared to others).
Asus is the favorite of many for its design but its generally slower to release updates.

Considering its for your father, I'd recommend an N10 for best out-of-the-box experience with upmost software support... but it has no external memory support which is somewhat a bummer for non price-concerned individuals like you.

Reactions: zeello

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keyboard support is great, I thought. But on second thought that is not enough. Because if you use keyboard (or mouse for that matter) then you need something to prop the screen up.

Asus Transformer seems appealing because I assume it is designed for that purpose, or simply any tablet with a keyboard dock offered as an accessory. Being able to simply plug in a PC keyboard is not good enough.

Either device has online bridge apps and some titles are cross-platform. Do some googling of games you think your dad would play and then decide by that. Not having GC doesn't mean that the online play will suck.
I should search google play for any such games and try them out on my tablet. For science!!

EDIT: This whole time I assumed Nexus 10 was made by Asus. Apparently it isn't. That kinda defeats the point of me defaulting with Nexus 10 as opposed to other android tablets. Nexus 10 still looks nice but I should look at all of Asus's tablet offerings.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as I think screen size is so important, why not a 12 inch tablet! aww yeah!

But an article suggests this is too big to hold comfortably.. this true?

GamerSince83

West Coast Pimpin'
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on weight also might feel heavy when holding up too long but bigger is always better.....that's what she said :tpi:

I have always liked Android more as it's more open sourced u can install straight off anywhere not like IOS where u almost always need ITunes and whut not.......

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: This whole time I assumed Nexus 10 was made by Asus. Apparently it isn't. That kinda defeats the point of me defaulting with Nexus 10 as opposed to other android tablets. Nexus 10 still looks nice but I should look at all of Asus's tablet offerings.
I'm not seeing a connection here. Why is Asus the main reason you were thinking of getting a Nexus 10?

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd go with the iPad, especially if it's for your dad.
Much easier to use and software-wise it's unbreakable, by which I mean you can't mess up the software unintentionally.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not seeing a connection here. Why is Asus the main reason you were thinking of getting a Nexus 10?
Because I have a Nexus 7 2012 and I am very impressed with its quality.

By the way, mom got an iPad... so I don't need advice anymore. But we can keep discussing tablets if we want! The mods don't have to know... :P

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Because I have a Nexus 7 2012 and I am very impressed with its quality.
Huh... The Nexus 7 2012 was a collaborative effort between Asus and Google. I never knew that.

A lot of people like having achievements, leaderboards etc. Game Center combines all that in a pretty interface.
Thank you. I do realize how I made that sound, but I really had no clue what Game Center was for, and I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if it were me, I'd go with Android, however, I feel like if I were to have gotten my dad an iPhone instead of an LG G2, things would have been much easier for him.

Hydrazine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS NEXUS

AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP AOSP

Praise Duarte#HOLO

Courtesy of /r/AndroidCircleJerk

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
If you want to consider getting a Windows tablet, keep in mind you're gonna pay some serious savings for a proper, non-ARM, device.
ARM Windows devices are exactly as good as Microsoft Office would go and nothing more.
Android is in every meaning of the word the most distributed, mobile, open and customizable OS you could get.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
As a huge Nexus fan whose last four Smartphones were Nexus devices and the one before these a G1: Don't. Get. A. Nexus 10!

It's two years old soon, Google will stop publishing updates (if they haven't already) and you'll regret it as soon as Android 4.5/5 gets released. It only has a slow Dual Core Processor and to add insult to injury it's a Samsung Exynos. Samsung is consistently bad with publishing drivers for their Exynos devices, third party support (-> Custom ROMs!) lives from drivers, so it's highly likely that third party ROMs for the N10 won't be on par with other Nexus devices. Also there's a rumor that says that Google will release a new N10 together with a N8 in June, but I have now idea if that's true.

Personally I had to get a new tablet recently because it got sponsored from work and I chose the Xperia Z2 Tablet. It has the Snapdragon 801 which is being widely used, Sony recently publishes drivers for everything they release and the Bootloader can be unlocked easily.

Friends don't let friends buy a Nexus 10!

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen on my Nexus 7 flickers occasionally. I think I might go ahead and buy a replacement seeing as the screen will eventually give way at this rate. Something with a pen, most likely Samsung Galaxy Note, but maybe Asus Vivotab Note.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guillotine