Transferring DLC from sysNAND to emuNAND (by recreating emuNAND)?

fekerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought DLC for a game on my sysNAND and was planning on transferring it to my emuNAND (in a roundabout sort of way) when I realized I don't fully know how to go about that properly. My original plan was to backup all my saves with JKSV + copy all the files off my SD card, delete my current emuNAND (by reformatting the SD card I guess? I'm honestly not super clear on how to do that either), then put back the copied files (minus the emuMMC folder) and create a new emuNAND partition with that DLC installed. I could have sworn I've done this before for something else, but I have no record of it which isn't like me. So I think that means I haven't lol.
Is this method okay to do? Will it mess anything up? Or is there a better method I'm not aware of? I know there are easier ways involving piracy, or what will look like piracy to Nintendo at least, but I've had my Switch for 3 years now, unbanned, and I would really like to keep it that way. I personally don't mess with piracy stuff on the Switch at all.

My other question is, if I do make a new emuNAND, would it be good to copy over the files from the old emuMMC folder, or is that pointless? I can't think of anything I'd be losing on my current emuNAND that I wouldn't also have on my sysNAND or that can't be backed up (I was initially worried about losing play time records but then I found NX Activity Log, and I haven't tested it myself but I'm assuming it works?) but please let me know if I'm forgetting something. I will say there are a few games I have on my emuNAND that aren't on my sysNAND, all physical copies, so I'm guessing after I do all this, I just put those games in and restore the saves and that won't be a problem?

Thank you for reading, hopefully someone can help me!

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Why do you want to recreate the EmuNAND eliminating the existent one?

If you create a new EmuNAND using the actual SysNAND you will have a exact copy of the actual SysNAND so you don't need transfer anything.

Do you know you can create several EmuNAND at the same time?

fekerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you want to recreate the EmuNAND eliminating the existent one?

If you create a new EmuNAND using the actual SysNAND you will have a exact copy of the actual SysNAND so you don't need transfer anything.

Do you know you can create several EmuNAND at the same time?
Well, the existing one would be of no use to me if it doesn't have everything I need on it. Plus, it would be taking extra space on the SD card that I might need. But I actually didn't know you could have more than one, thank you for letting me know!

But yeah, that's what I meant by transferring in a "roundabout sort of way"—I'm not actually transferring anything, because to my knowledge you can't transfer games from sysNAND to emuNAND without Nintendo picking it up as piracy. Technically I am just replacing. Sorry for poor wording :-P

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Are you also going online with emummc?
If not (you use DNSmitm to block Nintendo servers) you could make a new emummc (copy of sysmmc) and then use nxdumptool to dump the dlc from the new emummc. Then use dbi in your original emummc to install the dlc. When everything is done you can delete the new emummc again. That way you don't compromise sysmmc at all.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Please tell us more about what you really want to accomplish, if you already have a SysNAND with everything, and you want a copy to use it in their current state and keep using it on regular way, why do you want a EmuNAND. additional if you have two "exact" copies of the NAND and both connect to Big N serverser your console will get banned.

Or if you want a copy of your current SysNAND BUT that copy will sail the 7 seas and will never be connected to N servers again, that is another history.

Reactions: Blythe93

fekerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you also going online with emummc?
If not (you use DNSmitm to block Nintendo servers) you could make a new emummc (copy of sysmmc) and then use nxdumptool to dump the dlc from the new emummc. Then use dbi in your original emummc to install the dlc. When everything is done you can delete the new emummc again. That way you don't compromise sysmmc at all.
I don't know about DNSmitm, but I don't connect to Nintendo servers with emuMMC—I have my DNS set up based on this post—but I do go online sometimes to get updates and such (I use another Switch and do the whole "match version with local users" thing). But that's a great idea and it probably would work if I wasn't so afraid of being banned. Obviously it's not piracy if I bought it, but I don't think Nintendo will see it that way if they somehow find me. I'm just trying to be as safe as possible.

fekerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please tell us more about what you really want to accomplish, if you already have a SysNAND with everything, and you want a copy to use it in their current state and keep using it on regular way, why do you want a EmuNAND. additional if you have two "exact" copies of the NAND and both connect to Big N serverser your console will get banned.

Or if you want a copy of your current SysNAND BUT that copy will sail the 7 seas and will never be connected to N servers again, that is another history.
Okay, so basically, I just need a way to use the DLC in emuNAND without chancing Nintendo picking it up as piracy (so literally transferring it is probably out of the question) AND without losing everything I have on my current emuNAND. Just to be clear, I keep sysNAND clean, and emuNAND is where I use Homebrew. My emuNAND is NOT connected to Nintendo servers, I pretty much only connect to the internet on it to get updates via the "match version with local users" method which I use my other, non-hacked Switch for. If I do end up deleting my current emuNAND and replace it with a copy of sysNAND, I would change the DNS settings again. That thing is not connecting to Nintendo servers if I have anything to say about it.;)

I've been using my current emuNAND for about 3 years and pretty much never get on sysNAND at all. All my saves, screenshots, playtime records, etc. are on emuNAND. The only way I could think of to use the DLC in emuNAND without losing anything is to backup everything, delete my current emuNAND, make a new one that would have the DLC installed (because it's just a copy of sysNAND), restore all my saves + playtime, and go on my merry way. That way, with everything restored, it would be like nothing really changed and it would be pretty much an exact replica of my old emuNAND, just with the DLC installed. Plus no extra risk of getting banned by Nintendo.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Again, so sorry I wasn't clearer in my first post!!
Post automatically merged:

As long as you block Nintendo servers with DNS settings in emummc it is safe
Sorry, do you mean it's safe to do my method? I've been responding to people so I'm all confused lol.
(Edit: I don't know why this post was merged??)

Last edited by fekerin,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Sorry, do you mean it's safe to do my method? I've been responding to people so I'm all confused lol.
Both yours and mine. But I think my method is easier because you don't have to backup saves and games.

No matter how you do it the important thing is to block Nintendo servers with DNS. If you don't you risk a ban regardless what method you choose

Reactions: Blythe93

fekerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both yours and mine. But I think my method is easier because you don't have to backup saves and games.

No matter how you do it the important thing is to block Nintendo servers with DNS. If you don't you risk a ban regardless what method you choose
Yeah, your method is definitely easier, I'll give you that lol. What do you mean backup games though? Do I need to do something special for that or do you just mean saves?
Also, is it enough to just backup the contents of my SD card or do I also need to find whatever hidden files there are and backup those too? I just don't know what happens when you reformat the SD card in regards to CFW.

Would it be worth it to (temporarily) change the DNS settings on the sysNAND to block Nintendo servers before I make a new emuNAND so there's no chance I connect to the internet on the emuNAND? Or is that unnecessary?

Last edited by fekerin,

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
What I normally do is to remove all wifi networks in SysMMC before making EmuMMC and then add it back after. Just to be safe.

About the backup. What I mean is if you want replace your current EmuMMC with a new one as you suggested then you need to backup (or dump) the games from current EmuMMC so you can reinstall them. Unless of course you have them installed in SysMMC as well or you already have then as NSPs og XCIs.

If you have an extra SD card lying around the easiest would be to create the temporary EmuMMC on the other card, dump the DLC to NSP, switch back to the original SD card and install the NSP to EmuMMC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto