Trying to figure out how to perform a system format without losing all my installed cia game data.

Jay_Utopia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m having an issue with supposed “extended memory” games not booting up. Basically, bigger games (specifically Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon in my case) aren’t booting up, as every time I try to load the game, the screen goes black after the 3DS logo, and after a few moments it just returns me to the Home Screen. After a bit of digging, I’ve determined that the issue has something to do with the region changing.

My 3DS was originally a Japanese mode, and given that I’m not Japanese, I asked a friend for help. He directed me to his friend, who hacked the console for me, and region changed it, along with giving me some basic navigation instructions for Homebrew and the FBI app. Since then, I’ve managed to download a few cia games and play them without issue. However, I can’t load either Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, and this friend of a friend is no longer in contact, so I’m left without a solid means to fix the issue.

From several guides, I’ve vaguely managed to understand that performing a system format should fix the issue, but I don’t know how to do that comfortably, and even if I did, I couldn’t find any guides that seemed to be explicitly showing how to ensure that save data for games installed through HShop cia files wasn’t lost. I just need to know how I can perform the task without losing hours of progress on my various games.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Region changing break extended memory, so in your case you need to do a system format, before proceeding backup your game saves. You can always reinstall games.

Jay_Utopia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Region changing break extended memory, so in your case you need to do a system format, before proceeding backup your game saves. You can always reinstall games.
I wouldn’t mind just redownloading the cia games, but I don’t want to lose the hours upon hours of progress I’ve already accumulated on them. Would I lose all my progress if I do the format or are you saying I could recover my save data after?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The System Format is no longer required to fix extended memory games, apparently.
https://3ds.hacks.guide/region-changing#section-vi---fixing-locale-related-issues

I don’t want to lose the hours upon hours of progress I’ve already accumulated on them.
If your save data is valuable, then you should regularly be backing it up with Checkpoint and storing the backups somewhere other than your 3DS.

As per the other post, you can always restore a Checkpoint backup after reinstalling a game.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What @Kwyjor said.
A backup a day keeps corruption away, after all.
Make sure all data you want to save is backed up and stored on a separate device just to be sure.
Then wipe your system, reinstall the games if the wipe uninstalled them, and load your saves using Checkpoint or some other software.

mrhector

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just region swapped a new 3ds ll recently and was getting an error message when loading up those games. Might be different but for me I installed the games offline and need to go into FBI and use the import seed option to fix it. Yours sounds a bit different since it's a black screen and not an error message but could give it a try, save you a bunch of work.

Jay_Utopia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The System Format is no longer required to fix extended memory games, apparently.

If your save data is valuable, then you should regularly be backing it up with Checkpoint and storing the backups somewhere other than your 3DS.

As per the other post, you can always restore a Checkpoint backup after reinstalling a game.
Couldn't complete step 4 (due to the "CTRTransfer Image .bin" just not existing), and did everything else to a tee, and was ultimately unsuccessful. I have made checkpoint backups and move them to my laptop, but avoiding the hassle I'm sure would come with redownloading literally everything would be far preferred. Could the lack of the CTRTransfer Image .bin be what's preventing this method from working?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Jay_Utopia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your other thread suggests that your unit isn't region-changed at all, in which case there may be some other reason why Pokemon USUM isn't working that would not be remedied by a System Format.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-change-system-default-language-using-lumalocaleswitcher.647725/

Do you have other "extended memory mode" games that don't work? Smash Bros, perhaps?
(Sorry for the late response lol)

I don't think I have used any other extended memory games. Just in case, though, I'll write a quick list of the cias I have installed (All of which I've successfully played at some point)

- Pokemon X
- Pokemon Y
- Pokemon Omega Ruby
- Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
- Pokemon Sun
- Pokemon Moon
- Pokemon Red, Yellow, and Crystal Virtual Consoles
- Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
- The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time 3D
- Fire Emblem: Awakening

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A bit of Googling suggests that Sun/Moon are also extended memory mode games. Is this a "New" unit (with ZL/ZR buttons) or an "old" unit"? The launching of extended memory mode games is distinctive on an "old" unit.

Jay_Utopia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No ZL/ZR buttons to be found, it's 100% an old unit. I booted up Sun just to be sure, and it works perfectly fine, yet every time I try to boot up Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, it just sends me right back to the home screen. Now I'm just wondering if there might be some sort of issue with the cias themselves, rather than the console as a whole. Should I redownload fresh ones, get rid of the ones installed on the console, and try again?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I booted up Sun just to be sure, and it works perfectly fine
You see, if you press the Home button after starting up Sun and then try to use the web browser, it will stop you. And when you close Sun from the Home menu, the system will reboot. That is what makes it an "extended memory mode game". (It's harder to tell on "New" units.)

Should I redownload fresh ones, get rid of the ones installed on the console, and try again?
Maybe you should ask for support from whoever is apparently providing faulty downloads. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Lol not me trying to get people to make an uncensor patch for imagine makeup artist