Hacking [Tutorial] How to update your backups using SX OS with the least ban risk

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've been on 3.0.0, used homebrew. updated to 5.1.0 when i got my SX OS. i've been installing NSP, using homebrew and playing XCI. haven't got a ban yet from updates. i did not link a Nintendo account to this Switch though, eShop has never been access but wifi is always on. guess im lucky so far.

my son's switch is SuperBanned and we used layeredFS on that one really early on. i don't mind since he shouldn't be going online anyway ;)

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you used the XCI you could do it while going online in your stock firmware, head to the game, press PLUS and update the game. However this might lead to a ban.
The safer way would be to obtain the update for the game with something like CDNSP and install it either with SX OS's NSP installer or (more recommended) with Tinfoil.
Dont you think using CDNSP is far more risky?

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drban789 said:
Why don't you go into a second hand gaming store like CEX in the UK. Buy the Switch game you want to update in the official firmware then return the game back within 2 days or whatever the return policy is. You could run the original game aswell if it makes a difference until you return it.
Then you fuck the next poor sod who goes online with that cart .
Agreed...Don't Do this.Its a real dick move... If you gonna screw someone screw over ninty or no one..

As for the OP .

dude you must be smoking some Cr^ck,, you honestly think that this is safe/least ban..
And to reply to other members with a child like attitude for there opinion grow up..

the amount of information that they can read from your console is enough to get you banned/flagged for ban you may not be now but wait for the wave.
Even when your dump, or home brew crashes and errors out and stores your logs,just because your not sending error logs data doesn't mean it cant be read.
Ninty also checks Certs..

Drax has made some great points on this thread but too many to quote
And also provided us with Ban outcomes with this thread of information regarding bans
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

Do you think that all these responses are just garbage and or the others ?
Do not do this! The cart metadata is still saved by Horizon, and will be reported to Nintendo's servers = ban. SX OS is not the issue, the unique cart data is.

Before you connect to Nintendo's servers, you'll get an authorization for your certs. Doesn't matter how much you play legit or how quickly you close the internet connection. We're not sure how SX OS handles certs at this point, so I'd be wary to try this.

I don't think they can currently, the whole point is that it acts like a real cartridge. They could implement some anti-piracy checks that can tell the difference in future updates but I don't think they've had the chance yet.
That doesn't mean it's safe though, since everyone using the same ROM dump is effectively using the same "cartridge". But if it never sees the cartridge as inserted while you're online, it should theoretically be safer, since at least Nintendo won't see that you're online with the same cartridge inserted as thousands of other people simultaneously.

You know, there's an edit button. There's no need to quadruple post.

They know, i mean, the 3DS has a game log and that is send to Ninti.

I dont see a reason why it wont be the same on the Switch, we have a game log, we can see playtime and all that stuff.

At the end of the day, neither you nor me knows that, so dont go saying IT IS like that.

You are still loading a game with an invalid cert unless you dumped your own for that specific game. And you are connected to internet when you do it, and then you are requesting update data for that game.
Yeah, totally not going to get banned doing that.

You are loading the game before disabling internet, and you are connecting to online services for update download. It's not a guarantee ban, but you are very open to heading the system phone home with telemetry and tell nintendo you are inserting a game with no valid cert, especially if you are trying to get update data for it.
Doing anything with online connectivity after pirating with SX OS is a good way to get banned. Wouldn't surprise me if it is already logging the fact that the game has no cert.
I read and understood the instructions perfectly. You seem to not comprehend how easy it is for Nintendo to detect piracy this time around.

Your guide for least ban risk should of been,or would of been better..

Backup your switch clean state..(Virgin Nand no cfw/homebrew)
Don't go online period.
Download your games and updates via pc (download sites/cdn) /or backup carts...(Or ripped updates from another legit switch)..
Install them with your preferred method, tinfoil etc sx os installer...
Play and enjoy OFFLINE..
No data sent or read...(But stored)

Wants to go legit ?
Restore clean state. (Virgin nand) << Not 100% proven to be undetectable, but im 100% more sure about the steps above being least or even non detectable then yours.

Like many have said we are still not 100% sure or proven exactly how or what they detect,
But making a tutorial that can essentially get someone banned or flagged is not a great idea,
me personally dont think it should exist.
Them poor new comers and or nubs. getting banned cause they think a tutorial thats been posted had the least ban risk didnt work..

YOU GO ONLINE WITH
CFW/ RIPS /DUMP/HOME BREW/BACKUPS/MODDED SWITCH EXPECT A BAN OR BE PREPARED TO BE

And just so you know i have no beef incase this upsets you..

Last edited by Canna,
Reactions: silvershadow

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol, thought this tutorial was some new method. Instead its just an 18 year old showing his lack of understanding.

Either i fell for this sarcasm trap or people really need to educate themselves.

I could have sworn that this "method" has already proven to cause a ban a loooooong time ago.

@Canna's explanation above along with his quotes are the only things that make sense in this thread lol.
Even though that method is also not 100% proven, it actually makes sense as compared to the OP's.

Last edited by silvershadow,
Reactions: Canna

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree that this Method is not 100% safe.
In fest I don't think there is a single method that is 100% safe if you have in any way modded your switch console, even with just booking into hekate.

I will say, however, that I have been using a very similar method to this to update my games and am yet to be banned.

I fully expect to be banned eventually, but as it stands, I am not.

Drban789 said:
Why don't you go into a second hand gaming store like CEX in the UK. Buy the Switch game you want to update in the official firmware then return the game back within 2 days or whatever the return policy is. You could run the original game aswell if it makes a difference until you return it.

Agreed...Don't Do this.Its a real dick move... If you gonna screw someone screw over ninty or no one..

As for the OP .

dude you must be smoking some Cr^ck,, you honestly think that this is safe/least ban..
And to reply to other members with a child like attitude for there opinion grow up..

the amount of information that they can read from your console is enough to get you banned/flagged for ban you may not be now but wait for the wave.
Even when your dump, or home brew crashes and errors out and stores your logs,just because your not sending error logs data doesn't mean it cant be read.
Ninty also checks Certs..

Drax has made some great points on this thread but too many to quote
And also provided us with Ban outcomes with this thread of information regarding bans
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/

Do you think that all these responses are just garbage and or the others ?

Your guide for least ban risk should of been,or would of been better..

Backup your switch clean state..(Virgin Nand no cfw/homebrew)
Don't go online period.
Download your games and updates via pc (download sites/cdn) /or backup carts...(Or ripped updates from another legit switch)..
Install them with your preferred method, tinfoil etc sx os installer...
Play and enjoy OFFLINE..
No data sent or read...(But stored)

Wants to go legit ?
Restore clean state. (Virgin nand) << Not 100% proven to be undetectable, but im 100% more sure about the steps above being least or even non detectable then yours.

Like many have said we are still not 100% sure or proven exactly how or what they detect,
But making a tutorial that can essentially get someone banned or flagged is not a great idea,
me personally dont think it should exist.
Them poor new comers and or nubs. getting banned cause they think a tutorial thats been posted had the least ban risk didnt work..

YOU GO ONLINE WITH
CFW/ RIPS /DUMP/HOME BREW/BACKUPS/MODDED SWITCH EXPECT A BAN OR BE PREPARED TO BE

And just so you know i have no beef incase this upsets you..

Last edited by Wezaa,

mark.m.moran

Trophies
XP
Country
If you used the XCI you could do it while going online in your stock firmware, head to the game, press PLUS and update the game. However this might lead to a ban.
The safer way would be to obtain the update for the game with something like CDNSP and install it either with SX OS's NSP installer or (more recommended) with Tinfoil.

Hi Lordelan,
Thanks for outlining that for me ;-) I doubt I'll take the risk of updating the game using the stock firmware for fear of a ban. Where do I get CDNSP?

Thanks again,
Mark

maddenmike95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using op's method from the very beginning of the FREE CFW days for the switch and no BAN yet:) All my installs were nsp files or converted nsp files using the available XCI converters. If you are doing this method with nsp files than no need to boot to CFW first (unless auto RCM is on). Just boot up in OFW and update any game offically. I think that most people using this method don't give 2 shits about being banned anyways, I mean why even have a switch with cfw on it if you always play online in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5uh_m4VgTY4