"USB device not initialized" - usb Loader gx

LowlyWorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, usb loader gx is not able to read the games of my HDD.
  • Everything was working up until a couple weeks ago. I was able to play games from my HDD.
  • Now, whenever I enter USB loader, the message “Waiting for HDD…” with a 20 seconds countdown shows up. When the countdown finishes, the loader pops up with the message "USB device not initialized." Then, only the wii menu channels show (like Mii channel, weather channel, etc.).
  • My HDD is FAT32 and in Port 0, with a Y cable going to an additional power source.
  • I have gone through various troubleshooting guides, with no luck.
    • I reset cIOS settings and redownloaded USB loader.
    • I've tried the "plug in HDD during usb loader loading screen", no luck.
    • I have tried other hard drives (FAT32), nope.
    • I am able to open and play the games on my PC with dolphin.
  • sysCheck is attached.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• sysCheck.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 31

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you check if WiiXplorer and Nintendont can detect and browse the USB HDD?

If neither WiiXplorer or Nintendont can access the drive then port 0 might of gone bad.

LowlyWorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If neither WiiXplorer or Nintendont can access the drive then port 0 might of gone bad.

Thank you for the quick response. I will check if either of those apps can browse the HDD and report back.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How much storage space does your SD card have? I get this error when I am using a 64 gigabyte card.
With SD card mode? That can happen when you've got another partition before your FAT32 partition.

If you're using Windows and you don't have much on your SD card then I'd recommend the full format, which can easily be done with diskpart.

Code:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X (change X to the disk number for your SD card)
clean
create partition primary
assign
format fs=fat32 unit=32k quick
exit

is the “check wii games” box checked (4th icon at the top in USB loader gx settings)??
That won't do anything because the drive isn't being initialised.

I suggested testing the USB drive with other homebrew because @LowlyWorm said that they've already tried other storage drives. So if it's not working with WiiXplorer and Nintendont then the issue might be with USB port 0.

LowlyWorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I checked Nintenfont and WiiXplorer - neither recognize any HDDs. So it sounds like the port is a goner :(

I'm thinking my best solution outside of a new Wii (I'm not going to even think about replacing the usb drive) is to use an SD card for everything. I already keep all of my Homebrew apps on there, and confirmed that I can play games on it through WiiFlow or USB Loader GX.

Unfortunately, my SD card is only 2GB. So, anyone have a commonly-recommended SD card with decent storage (500GB+)?

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I checked Nintenfont and WiiXplorer - neither recognize any HDDs. So it sounds like the port is a goner :(
In your original post you said that you tried other hard drives. Do you mean other portable hard drives and USB flash drives or are you putting different hard drives into the same hard drive enclosure?

It is possible to make the loader work with USB port 1, but compatibility is worse because you need to use an older buggier version of the d2x cIOS and the loader requires some manual configuration edits.

Unfortunately, my SD card is only 2GB. So, anyone have a commonly-recommended SD card with decent storage (500GB+)?
I picked up a 256GB Amazon Basics microSDXC card during black friday last year for £16/$20 and mines still working. So you might want to consider the 512GB version? Although if you want to go with a known brand that'll have a better warranty then anything from SanDisk or Samsung should be good.

Be careful where you order from, since there's a lot of fake SD cards out there. And if you see 2 or more products that are around the same price then you should purchase whichever one comes with a full size adapter and is the fastest (e.g. class 10, U3, A2, V30).

Reactions: jeannotte

LowlyWorm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your original post you said that you tried other hard drives. Do you mean other portable hard drives and USB flash drives or are you putting different hard drives into the same hard drive enclosure?

It is possible to make the loader work with USB port 1, but compatibility is worse because you need to use an older buggier version of the d2x cIOS and the loader requires some manual configuration edits.

I picked up a 256GB Amazon Basics microSDXC card during black friday last year for £16/$20 and mines still working. So you might want to consider the 512GB version? Although if you want to go with a known brand that'll have a better warranty then anything from SanDisk or Samsung should be good.

Be careful where you order from, since there's a lot of fake SD cards out there. And if you see 2 or more products that are around the same price then you should purchase whichever one comes with a full size adapter and is the fastest (e.g. class 10, U3, A2, V30).
I actually had a 128GB micro SD with an adaptor. Got it formatted to FAT32 and uploaded everything. We are in business - great timing to have SD functionality for USB Loader. Thanks for all your help!

Trophies
XP
With SD card mode? That can happen when you've got another partition before your FAT32 partition.

If you're using Windows and you don't have much on your SD card then I'd recommend the full format, which can easily be done with diskpart.

Code:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X (change X to the disk number for your SD card)
clean
create partition primary
assign
format fs=fat32 unit=32k quick
exit

That won't do anything because the drive isn't being initialised.

I suggested testing the USB drive with other homebrew because @LowlyWorm said that they've already tried other storage drives. So if it's not working with WiiXplorer and Nintendont then the issue might be with USB port 0.
I actually don't have another partition before it, I formatted it with Linux before loading it. I might retry just in case...

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to format your USB and this time set it as primary partition during the formatting process because otherwise the loader will not detect it. I don't understand why it is required to have a primary partition so that the device can be recognized, I don't see the point if you are going to use a 4GB USB for example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played