PS1/2 Yakuza NTSC screen ghosting effect on PAL PS2

wrsg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game looks like this http://i.imgur.com/yLp1B.jpg

Is there any way I can get this back to normal?

The game is the NTSC version ESR patched, then patched with ntsc2pal to run on my PAL PS2 + FMCB

Many other games work fine.

wrsg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're in the US... You probably own an NTSC compatible TV and don't need to patch the graphics mode, screen offset, or anything of that sort.

Patching for PAL PS2 system compatibility however I don't know about.

My TV is already NTSC compatible but my PS2 is a PAL model. I have played other NTSC-supported games on it and they work fine, it's just Yakuza for some reason.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
All PS2 hardware supports NTSC and PAL video output. Only reason most NTSC PS2 owners never see PAL video, is no NTSC game releases ask the console to use it.

Try keeping the game set to its factory NTSC. Then it should output regular NTSC the normal way like a NTSC model PS2.

Reactions: 1 person

wrsg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All PS2 hardware supports NTSC and PAL video output. Only reason most NTSC PS2 owners never see PAL video, is no NTSC game releases ask the console to use it.

Try keeping the game set to its factory NTSC. Then it should output regular NTSC the normal way like a NTSC model PS2.

I would have done this all along except I thought the PS2 was region-locked like most home consoles. Remember I'm trying to play a NTSC game on a PAL PS2 and patching the game with ntsc2pal before burning.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It is still region locked. That doesn't change.

But graphics format has nothing to do with region code on PS2. For PS2, NTSC or PAL display is determined based on what game is being played.
For example... A PS2 50hz PAL game not patched to force otherwise, will still use its original PAL video when played on the NTSC PS2 system. Which is annoying because older American TVs won't display PAL.*

In your case, you're running an NTSC game. You want the game to remain NTSC so the TV properly knows how to show it.

*60hz mode of PAL PS2 games uses NTSC color by default. So older PAL TV owners may their fact own problem, a black and white picture.

I'll give you a helpful chart. This is assuming neither patched games or modified hardware. Color is what PS2 systems handle differently than the original PS1 did. As you'll notice.

PS1 NTSC model + NTSC game = NTSC color 60hz
PS1 NTSC model + PAL game = NTSC color 50hz

PS1 PAL model + NTSC game = PAL color 60hz
PS1 PAL model + PAL game = PAL color 50hz

Any PS2, playing an NTSC game = NTSC color 60hz
Any PS2, playing a 50hz PAL game = PAL color 50hz
Any PS2, playing a 60hz PAL game = NTSC color 60hz

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users