PS1/2 YPBPR To composite or composite video?

elfefefef

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I recently buyed a ps2 with composite cables, i connected it to a kioto crt and it looked ok, but looks like component is better, but my tv doesn't have YPBPR input, so, is better to use a component cable converted to composite or simply composite?
remember, is a crt, so the 4:3 to 16:9 and stretch-smoothing of modern tv's doesn't exist or it isnt a problemo.

sorry for my "not that good" english

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Y, the green component cable, is actually the full black and white picture, so if you plug that into composite input it will result in a high quality greyscale picture...

The problem comes when you want to combine color information back in: the color difference signals (Pb and Pr) are encoded with respect to Y using a color encoding system (PAL, NTSC) and then combined with Y itself to make composite, and each of these steps somewhat reduces quality. There may be a moderate improvement if you do it yourself with high quality electronics and assembly but it's probably not worth it

Some TVs do have internal points in which you could add component or RGB inputs (the 2 ones I have actually can do the whole RF > IF > composite > s-video > component > RGB conversion chain) but without a schematic (or at least datasheets of the chroma decoder IC), knowledge around high voltage parts, and a little general analog electronics knowledge it's mostly a thought exercise - the hardest part for me would be actually putting decent sockets (and holes for them) in the case :D

What connectors does it have, anyway?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does it have OSD (like, when you press the volume buttons, does it show a volume bar over the picture)?

Then read these 2 links, especially the first, they explain very well what you can do to get a RGB input (most likely no component, but they are equally good as far as picture quality) and the risks:
http://www.retrogames.cl/foro/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7984
http://www.retrogames.cl/foro/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9897

Even if you're not willing to do it yourself, it would probably be easy work for a good repairman that actually knows how a TV of the mid 1990s works :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: You need better couch potatoes la +1