Could I downgrade firmware?

allentec420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering about if I can downgrade my firmware. I found.
A site that has Firmware different types for Nintendo switch. I can like to go to 16.00.

Attachments

• 20240519_163859.jpg
    20240519_163859.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

allentec420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daybreak just installs firmware, it doesnt care if you're upgrading or downgrading.
I was wondering about if I can downgrade my firmware. I found.
A site that has Firmware different types for Nintendo switch. I can like to go to 16.00.
nintendo Firmware 18.001 Downgraded to 16.00.
Post automatically merged:

Daybreak just installs firmware, it doesnt care if you're upgrading or downgrading.
Could I mod that machine with 18.01? Nintendo firmware. It's version one unpatched.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is why would anyone want to downgrade to begin with? You just lose new game support. Lower Switch firmwares doesn't benefit the user anything. Oh new user. Yeah its more about if your switch "Model" is hackable - firmware doesn't matter its not the same rules as the PS4 exploit.

Reactions: nWo

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on how many fuse he got burnt, if he start at firmware 18.0.1 then he got 19 burnt fuse, if he go below firmware 16.0.0 he might not be able to boot.
you've been here long enough that there's really no excuse not to understand basic stuff like this

Nintendo official bootloader checks fuse counts, boot with hekate/fusee = fuses don't matter

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not how fuses work

Two things:
- you dont need to downgrade to mod
- you cant downgrade without mod anyway

Depends on how many fuise he got burnt, if he start at firmware 18.0.1 then he got 19 burnt fuse, if he downgrade to a much lower firmware then he might not be able to boot even with CFW.
Post automatically merged:

you've been here long enough that there's really no excuse not to understand basic stuff like this

Nintendo official bootloader checks fuse counts, boot with hekate/fusee = fuses don't matter

Not true, some people not able to boot when they downgrade too many firmware.

allentec420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is why would anyone want to downgrade to begin with? You just lose new game support. Lower Switch firmwares doesn't benefit the user anything. Oh new user. Yeah its more about if your switch "Model" is hackable - firmware doesn't matter its not the same rules as the PS4 exploit.
Thank you.By the way these are japanese models v1 Unpatched and untouched.

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I feel this thread is spiraling a bit.

Two things:
- you dont need to downgrade to mod
- you cant downgrade without mod anyway

This is absolutely correct, using CFW (custom firmware) requires an exploitable switch which is achieved through hardware not software (pegascape excluded but that's only useful on specific models on certain low firmware versions). CFW is required to run homebrew or mods on your switch. Early models of the switch manufactured before roughly May 2018 also referred to as "V1" have an unpatchable exploit and therefore are the easiest to boot into CFW. Models after that release are known as "V2" and are patched requiring a soldered modchip to get CFW. The switch Lites and OLED models fall under the modchip requirement.

Is your switch an older model? You can check if it's patched using this site https://ismyswitchpatched.com/

Yeah its more about if your switch "Model" is hackable - firmware doesn't matter its not the same rules as the PS4 exploit.

As explained this is also correct. As far as downgrading, it is completely possible to use CFW and a tool called "Daybreak" to install any firmware version you want to your switch, but it's usually never done except for research as CFW is updated to support the latest firmwares fairly quickly and downgrading offers no real benefit. Unlike playstation where jailbreaking is done via software exploits, switch is exploited using hardware so firmware version means nothing (again, pegascape excluded if you have a pegascape compatible switch you'd likely know).

Now let's quickly talk about fuses. Essentially your switch has efuses that burn when you run firmware updates preventing the system from booting if your installed firmware is too low and doesn't match the burnt fuse count.

This is correct as using Hekate doesn't burn or care about fuses. Hekate is a payload that is used essentially as a launcher for CFW and choosing sysNAND or emuNAND or running Linux/android etc, it's also a tool for partitioning the SD card and accessing it via USB, it has a lot of functions and if you don't know what sysNAND and emuNAND are I highly suggest you do a little more research and explore the quick start guides here on GBAtemp

some people not able to boot when they downgrade too many firmware.

I've read about this from a few reports but I have personally ran FW 1.0.0 on my switch emuNAND without issue so I can't confirm this, my stock FW is 3.0.1 so it's not a drastic downgrade. That said mileage may vary so keep that in mind if you do downgrade.

Anyways I hope this post helped in clearing up some of the comments and replies here as it was kinda confusing. I only hope I could spread a little knowledge and education. If you are new or just want to learn more of the basics I suggest checking out the noob thread for switch hacking. Good luck out there!

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/

Also side note and quick edit. I may be wrong here but personally I've never seen a firmware update as an NSP, it's typically a folder of multiple .nca files. I would double check and verify your source before installing anything

Last edited by eskinner3742,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I may be wrong here but personally I've never seen a firmware update as an NSP, it's typically a folder of multiple .nca files. I would double check and verify your source before installing anything
You're definitely right! This nsp update file is very suspicious. OP should look for another source for his firmware update, which is easy to find. It should be a zip or rar file containing all these .nca files.

Reactions: eskinner3742

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, https://www.instagram.com/p/C7o-pHoMfRo/?igsh=NGJ1c2t1bHBpeXJy +1