Microsoft finalizes acquisition of Bethesda, says some upcoming games will be exclusive to Xbox/PC

BethesdaAndXbox_HERO.jpg

Back in September, Microsoft announced that it would be buying ZeniMax Media and all of its encompassing studios, which included Bethesda, id Software, Arkane, and many more. It's taken quite a while, but the acquisition has finally been approved, with the EU allowing the transaction yesterday. Today, Microsoft shared the news of the buyout being fully completed, and some of their plans for the future. They claim that they'll be letting Bethesda continue to make games as they have been for years, with Microsoft helping them reach more players than ever before. Another major detail is that they plan to have some future games release exclusively for Microsoft platforms--PC and Xbox. As it stands for now, Bethesda's upcoming games GhostWire Tokyo and Deathloop are going to be timed exclusives for the PlayStation 5, as the agreements were made prior to Microsoft buying the company. In the future, though, you might need a gaming PC or Xbox to play some Bethesda games.

This is the next step in building an industry-leading first party studios team, a commitment we have to our Xbox community. With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players.

:arrow: Source

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was going to buy a new gaming notebook this year according to my original plan (from 2019). Laugh with me: HA HA.

Glad my 1060 can still run a lot of games, even though I am missing out a bit on the highest end.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Vanilla Skyrim was best on Xbox One.
(in before meme about how much better mods make it)
I actually wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I never even touched mods on the Xbox One, and have yet to really mess with my PC copy. But strictly comparing vanilla Skyrim on the 360 and the One, it's night and day.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well, hopefully TES6 development was already far enough along that Microsoft doesn't get a chance to fuck it up, since this seems like it could be the last TES game worth buying. I can already see Microsoft planning to turn TES into a live service "platform" where "creators" can publish mods with ridiculous over-engineered social features that add nothing to the game and just exist to validate Microsoft's over-paid engineers' existence and the exec's acquisition spending.

Also, if that shit is a Microsoft Store exclusive, they're not getting a penny from me. I'll pirate it, and play the game from start to finish through Wine or Proton on Linux, even if the game is terrible and I hate it. Hell, maybe I'll even seed.

Fuck you, Microsoft.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh well, hopefully TES6 development was already far enough along that Microsoft doesn't get a chance to fuck it up, since this seems like it could be the last TES game worth buying. I can already see Microsoft planning to turn TES into a live service "platform" where "creators" can publish mods with ridiculous over-engineered social features that add nothing to the game and just exist to validate Microsoft's over-paid engineers' existence and the exec's acquisition spending.

Also, if that shit is a Microsoft Store exclusive, they're not getting a penny from me. I'll pirate it, and play the game from start to finish through Wine or Proton on Linux, even if the game is terrible and I hate it. Hell, maybe I'll even seed.

Fuck you, Microsoft.
Not sure where you are coming from, they havent been pushing live service games other than Sea of Thieves.. its all about gamepass. The Microsoft store stuff can be annoying though, its the only way to use gamepass on pc... having said that they have been putting their games on steam. Phil Harrison is over with Google, go bash him.

Last edited by kevin corms,

The Frenchman

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Microsoft is buidling the Xbox Brand via its Gamepass, exclusives are not the focus here. Microsoft's been moving towards being some sort of a big publisher for almost 10 years now.

It's not too hard to see what will happen when you see Microsoft publishing many titles on switch and also on PS. When we see Sony now releasing some titles like MLB The Show on Xbox and some of its bit first party titles on PC too...

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Microsoft is buidling the Xbox Brand via its Gamepass, exclusives are not the focus here. Microsoft's been moving towards being some sort of a big publisher for almost 10 years now.

It's not too hard to see what will happen when you see Microsoft publishing many titles on switch and also on PS. When we see Sony now releasing some titles like MLB The Show on Xbox and some of its bit first party titles on PC too...

Do they really care if people play on pc or console? They make money either way and its still their platform. They dont even make money from hardware sales of xbox, its all about the software and service charges.

Last edited by kevin corms,
D

Deleted User

I always wanted to get into their games but never really could. The only two games I've ever beaten by Bethesda were Evil Within 1 and 2 and those were made by Mikami who created Resident Evil, so not really even their games they just published it. Not that I think their games are bad I just never could get into them.

D

Deleted User

Do they really care if people play on pc or console? They make money either way and its still their platform. They dont even make money from hardware sales of xbox, its all about the software and service charges.

Yeah they figured out just to market Xbox as a cheap PC that only plays games for people who don't want a gaming PC. They even said they don't care if you buy Series X.

Reactions: andyhappypants

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I'm not very optimistic...

I can't choose the best Rare game before they were acquired by Microsoft, soooo many amazing titles.

But I can choose the best Rare game after, that is Rare Replay, so that's my opinion...

Reactions: andyhappypants

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/BLU5KaF2FPY?si=sD6FQEFcZzbPXWuj