Homebrew [Release] PrBoom+ 3DS Port (GPU-accelerated)

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
prboom-plus-logo.png

PrBoom+ 3DS Port

Hi all. After much arduous work, I'm thrilled to finally share a brand new port of PrBoom+ to the 3DS!

This is more or less a straight port of PrBoom+ 2.6.66, with some extra added enhancements exclusive to the system.
Just about everything you'd expect desktop PrBoom+ to do, this port should also be able to do.
The only things it can't do are a few unsupported renderer features (which have been stripped out anyway) and networking features.
In addition, all video modes apart from 8-bit are supported. By default, the GPU-accelerated OpenGL mode is enabled, though the other software-rendering modes are also available should you wish to fall back on them (so far, all modes produce roughly similar performance, with OpenGL being moderately faster)

1.png2.png3.png
7.png8.png6.png

Features:
  • PrBoom+ 2.6.66
  • Features both GPU-accelerated OpenGL mode, and software-renderer modes
  • Great performance on New 3DS, decent-ish performance on Old 3DS
  • Good quality stereoscopic 3D (OpenGL mode only)
  • Interchangeable touchscreen mouse and keyboard
  • (with touchscreen mouse, you can drag to look around, tap the screen to fire, and double-tap and hold to keep firing - ideal for Old 3DS)

Setup:
Refer to the GitHub repository's README for information on installation, game/mod setup and configuration.

Download:
:download: Latest release
:arrow: Source code

FBI QR code (for remote install):
prboom-plus-3ds-qr.png

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keyboard is Present.

For running Doom, not Doom 2, how do I do this? I tried putting in Loading doom.wad on auto, but it seemed to just want to run Doom 2 with Corrupted Graphics.

Last edited by Smoker1,
Reactions: Voxel

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Keyboard is Present.

For running Doom, not Doom 2, how do I do this? I tried putting in Loading doom.wad on auto, but it seemed to just want to run Doom 2 with Corrupted Graphics.
Yeah it's weird like that when more than 1 IWAD is in the prboom-plus folder, it even happens on the desktop version too.
I just put doom.wad somewhere else for the time being, and I'll work on a solution for it in the future.

Thanks for your work! I hope you don't me asking if you're planning to implement some sort of (easier) PWAD selection mechanism?
Hopefully I will, yeah :) An easy launcher like some other prboom console ports have would be great!

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just tested it out and it works perfectly fine and very smooth on the N3DS XL, i just didn't understand about the song, how do i add it?
Oh, if the music's already working then you don't have to do anything. I was just making a note that the music isn't using the original instruments, in case anyone was wondering about it. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist :P)

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully I will, yeah :) An easy launcher like some other prboom console ports have would be great!
A simple solution, at least for the 3dsx version, is just to accept pwad path as argv, then we can make xml shortcuts and launch them directly from the HB Launcher.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but is the 800x240 resolution mode supported with the 3D parallax layer disabled?

Reactions: Tarmfot and Voxel

Mr_Start

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh, if the music's already working then you don't have to do anything. I was just making a note that the music isn't using the original instruments, in case anyone was wondering about it. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist :P)
In that case, no music is coming out of my game, only sound effects

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In that case, no music is coming out of my game, only sound effects
Did you download PrBoom-Plus-3DS.zip and extract everything to the SD root?

A simple solution, at least for the 3dsx version, is just to accept pwad path as argv, then we can make xml shortcuts and launch them directly from the HB Launcher.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but is the 800x240 resolution mode supported with the 3D parallax layer disabled?
Oh wow, I never knew about xml shortcuts for HB Launcher until now. Thanks for mentioning that, that sounds hella useful already :lol:
And if the shortcuts allow you to specify arguments that get passed to argv, then it should already work in theory.

As for that 800x240 mode, I could take a look into that at some point, sure.

EDIT: Yep, I managed to make shortcuts for both Doom 1 & 2 which work perfectly!

If you wanna do them yourself as well, here's an example:
Code:
<shortcut>
    <executable>/3ds/PrBoom-Plus.3dsx</executable>
    <arg>-iwad IWADs/doom.wad -file boiled.wad</arg>
    <name>DOOM (PrBoom+)</name>
    <description>DOOM registered</description>
    <author>Voxel9, PrBoom+ contributors</author>
</shortcut>

Last edited by Voxel,
Reactions: Tarmfot

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes i did
Post automatically merged:

the "etc" folder goes too on the sd card root?
It does, yes. /etc/timidity.cfg is needed to specify the MIDI instruments.

After whipping up an XML shortcut thingy, where should one place it?
I just put mine in the /3ds/ folder, but it might detect them in /3ds/PrBoom-Plus as well, though I didn't try that yet.

Reactions: Tarmfot

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks Voxel. Working great on O3DS. I tested Doom Ultimate and Doom2 (via shortcut) and they both work fine. Nice to play doom with 3D :)

• Love
Reactions: Voxel

TheMasuke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the CIA version of PrBoom+ and it just closes out each time I try to run it from my HOME Screen. Not understanding what I did wrong here, since I extracted everything from the ZIP file to /3ds/ and there's only one wad file (as shown in one of the two pictures). I'd appreciate the help!

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 78
  • help2.jpg
    help2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 72

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Surprised I didn't see this earlier, this is awesome! Sample-based midi playback and hardware rendering were the two things I wanted most from any Doom port for the 3DS. Congrats on the release!

Edit: Could you be able to add support for ZL/ZR? They don't seem to work

Last edited by Wavy,

Voxel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I downloaded the CIA version of PrBoom+ and it just closes out each time I try to run it from my HOME Screen. Not understanding what I did wrong here, since I extracted everything from the ZIP file to /3ds/ and there's only one wad file (as shown in one of the two pictures). I'd appreciate the help!
/etc/ folder goes at the root of the SD card. Everything else is set up fine.
It kicks you back to the home menu because you haven't put a game WAD in the PrBoom-Plus folder as well :P

Surprised I didn't see this earlier, this is awesome! Sample-based midi playback and hardware rendering were the two things I wanted most from any Doom port for the 3DS. Congrats on the release!

Edit: Could you be able to add support for ZL/ZR? They don't seem to work
Thanks a lot for the kind words! And sure thing, that was kinda foolish of me to forget, haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll be getting in the territory of portable Pcs anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again you get what you pay for, its like buying a S series for $300 but its only 1440p native, if you want true 4k, gotta get the X model for $500. But yea you right, when moms buying it anyways, you gotta stay cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They could use HD out on their TV no real need for a monitor these days tbh the purists will disagree
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm kind of phasing out on the need for wanting all these consoles cool to have but they just become dust build ups
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I here ya there, I have too many myself, and have hard time letting them go, since most of mine I've modded at some point. Anymore I just play Switch on the go, seriesx at home.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ack my throat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I need to invest in some storage totes tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tots?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Tootles? Wtf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh tootles
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh totes , lol, like Tupperware storage, I gotcha
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm designing my own entertainment cabinet for my man cave, to store all my systems, then I'm also designing a power supply/HDMI switcher so I can switch to whichever system I want, and power it also. Already picked up the cabinet board, but tinkering with my drawings before start
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea, I have frogger arcade cabinet that I gutted and put a Pi4 then Pi5 into, but it never gets played much anymore, should sell it. Even when the kids come over, they don't want to play on it, just the xbox. TMNT and Simpson's arcade is still so fun on it, esp w 2 players.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna check out the new Garfield looks like garbage
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Can't wait to see the new "stick" that can actually play Ps3 or 360 games. I know they are getting close.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty didn't you see the new garfield?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah it's all animated I was hoping for some live action
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, yes i did
  • T @ TheSusKing:
    does anyone know if you can run android apps on a usb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean use a external usb thumb drive as storage? Yeah it depends on the phone
  • T @ TheSusKing:
    no, i mean if i could store the app on the usb so it doesnt take up my storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why do you ask?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/iAJ-J1R7juY?si=ZKM6T19bTLp533m4