OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wtf does this keyboard do that makes it cost more then the average pc
i mean $1500 wow, this thing better do my homework for me, then i'd consider $1500. to me it looks like a average high end keyboard prob $160 tops.

wonder if it has gold wiring/pcb

Optimus Maximus Keyboard
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=318

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I guess it's the LCDs on each friggin key and whatever shit makes them work.

EDIT: After clicking and reading that, it says OLED not LCD. But I don't know what the friggin difference is. Shit.
EDIT2:
Organic light-emitting diode - Wikipedia @ the free encyclopedia said:
One of the great benefits of an OLED display over the traditional LCD displays is that OLEDs do not require a backlight to function. This means that they draw far less power and, when powered from a battery, can operate longer on the same charge. It is also known that OLED-based display devices can be more effectively manufactured than liquid-crystal and plasma displays. However, degradation of OLED materials (see drawbacks) have limited the use of these materials.
O RLY? Fuck you Wikipedia. Just because.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
114-key color OLED (organic LED)

i dont know either is it a midget holding a flashlight in the keyboard or something?
You can customize the keys to whatever you want it to display or so I've read before.
If I had one, all of my keys would display:
grog.gif

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This started out as something really cool..about 2 years ago. Art Lebdev said it would cost "about as much as a nice cellphone" putting it around 500-600. Several weeks ago they announced the price was $1200, and then this past week at CeBIT, announced it was going to be $1500. It's been vaporware for an awfully long time, been through several revisions and not once has Art Lebdev ever given any real-time demonstrations with the device. Pr-orders have been open for a year now I beleive, but I wonder how many will be canceled now that the price tag is so high. It's a great concept, but not for that much money.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
would be cool if your office co workers had one and you can customize the keys to say "fuck you asshole cocksucker" in neon pink.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
would be cool if your office co workers had one and you can customize the keys to say "fuck you asshole cocksucker" in neon pink.
laugh.gif

But seriously WTF. $1500? Perhaps Sony will release it as an official USB keyboard for the PS3.
tongue.gif

It does look damn nice though. But I think I'll stick with my Logitech UltraX
wub.gif

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'll be buying one of those when i go to the store to pick up duke nuk'em 4.Â
tongue.gif
rofl2.gif
Awesome!

Agreed, this might be a nice novelty item at $500 for those with money burning a hole in their pocket. I always thought it would be great for learning applications like Photoshop if the keys showed you what each function would do, etc.

But $1500? Nah, it will never get the app support if only a handful of people in the world own one...

The prototype pics were awesome, though...

Google Image Search for Optimus Keyboard

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You mean they're actually still gonna release this? I remember reading about it a long long long long long time ago, thinking "That's pretty cool" and never hearing about it since.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You mean they're actually still gonna release this? I remember reading about it a long long long long long time ago, thinking "That's pretty cool" and never hearing about it since.
Me too. I read about it in a gadget magazine.... probably 5 years ago but after getting 5 years older and knowing that there are better things to spend that amount of money on I thought, "nah". Then again, the idea of a keyboard costing MORE than a PC is just off putting to me

Modrak

Trophies
XP
Country

Me too. I read about it in a gadget magazine.... probably 5 years ago but after getting 5 years older and knowing that there are better things to spend that amount of money on I thought, "nah". Then again, the idea of a keyboard costing MORE than a PC is just off putting to me

So from 14.07.2005 to 18.03.2007 it is 5 years ? Must have been some kind of wormhole or timewrap you used to make it 5 years....
cool.gif

Source

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sucks they keep raising the price...I have 1200 squirreled away for this bad boy....assuming it works like it says and has no driver/software issues... but considering that 3 of the oled buttons cost $160

optimus_mini.jpg

I figured the 1200 ballpark was too good to be true....I want to jump on the "make it cheaper" bandwagon but I don't want it cheaper at the cost of quality. For me this would be a god send...I have seen the photoshop demo of the keyboard:

psd.jpg

And for someone who uses Photopshop, Vegas Video, and Dreamweaver NONSTOP this could be a very time saving machine which is important to me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn