Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Caped Wanderer said:
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:
why are you all still talking about this? They will not disable your device. A ban might not be out of the question but that's fully within their rights.
I dunno, it got revived for some reason. I really think we should lock it, it's falling prey to circular arguments.

Just wanted to say that my original post was NOT meant to start or spark a argument. I only wanted to warn people about what could and will most likely happen. I was not the one that chose to contradict that. My original intention was to help people understand what is to come.
I knew that was not you're intention, but as long as this thread remains open and the existing very people think it will most likely happen post here, there will be arguments.

darkangel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still don't get how 'hardline' people are reacting to all this bricking stuff.
I mean, even though it's your hardware, that you've bought and could theoretically do with whatever you wish for, you're still breaking Nintendo's software security measurements which is against the law at least in the USA and Germany, as far as I'm concerned. So it doesn't matter if you 'just' used homebrew programs or pirated games with it.
And so, whilst Nintendo wouldn't EVER say that they willing- and knowingly bricked 3ds' that used flashcarts or other 'illegal' modifications, no judge in the world would rule against Nintendo, since they said that unauthorized devices can cause unwanted errors - which in the conclusion would mean, that you, the flashcart user, accepted the risk of potentially bricking your device.

But whatever...

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
So, in short, hacking your 3DS is illegal? Oh shit! This forum is illegal, then!

Also, when you make security against unsigned code on a console, you gotta expect it to be cracked someday. Nothing is fully secure. As soon as you have a software security measure, a hacker will always be able to circumvent it. For example, encrypted code has to be decrypted before the CPU can run it, so the decryption key has to be somewhere... hackers always end up finding it, and the security (or part of it) falls apart.

Now, you can always do it Sony-like and sue hackers, but that's not giving good results...

That's why I think the whole anti-homebrew policy is bullshit. They're doing it because homebrew coders code for free and don't earn them any money. And also, of course, because of that ages old piracy issue.

I like how this thread is turning into a legal debate. (and fuck DMCA, someday it will make my username illegal if they keep it up)

pakistexican88x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I just updated the firmware for my AceKard 2i. I know there have been no reports of bricking, what about restricting access to eShop/playing online?

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pakistexican88x said:
Ok, so I just updated the firmware for my AceKard 2i. I know there have been no reports of bricking, what about restricting access to eShop/playing online?
There are no restrictions of online gaming and eShop access. You can have your Acekard and still play games online, as well as shop.

eli2112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to keep posting in this thread but it seemed inappropiate to start a new one to ask the same.

I came here to try and determine if there was a risk to using a flashcard on the 3DS. I just got my 3DS last night and I thought, after nearly 4 months after its release, there would be solid answers in the topic. Naturally I won't spend 5 hours shifting through 34 pages of conspiracies, wild theories and baseless conjectures to find a couple posts worth their chars. Of course OP did a very good job, there are good points discused from his research, but after all those comments, there's not something concrete so I'd like to try and resume what I gathered from OP and last 3 pages.

What I specifically wanted to know was if it was safe to use a flashcard on the Nintendo 3DS, and by safe, I mean no risk of Nintendo ever taking any action against your system.

From what I gather nobody knows that. What we know is:

• Nintndo has the ability to render your system useless (see brick).
  • It would imply a series of legal motives that could take it to court, and we're talking about thousands of customers
  • Nintendo has not made any drastic move against the current use of flashcards in the 3DS (or any other system before it)

So, we can't conclude this is just a rumor and its safe to use a flashcard, for all we know Nintendo could start bricking systems the moment 3DS games started being pirated, regardless if users have pirated 3DS games or old ones. So the only factor that will determin if its safe to use a flashcard without any risk is if 'there is a way for them to know undoubtedly that a flashcard has been introduced in the system. If anyone can confirm or deny that flashcards leave a trace on the system without a doubt, please that's what we need to know.

Again, the fact that after many official updates of the 3DS flashcards are still working is NOT proof that its safe. They could be waiting to take action later and paperweightify 3DS's.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they havent done something by now, i'd think the chances of them ever doing something is decreasing. (Aside from just blocking the flashcart, and them getting re-enabled via firmware updates).

Either way, with the price drop and such, its not like you'd have to fork out 250$ again
tongue.gif
. (Heck, i was probally gonna buy a 2nd Flare Red 3DS anyway, and keep my Black one for Flash Cart purposes)

eli2112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no need to work at Nintendo to know that. Hackers will eventually find out, that is if they don't know already. That's why I'm asking. (and by hackers I mean ppl who actually codes for DS or make flashcarts, etc.).

I'm not using a Flashcart, but I'd like to... please refrain from judging as you don't know my reasons or purpose to it. And believe it or not, not all of us can afford to update our system with every single color or minor upgrade that comes out, even with the price drop, so it'd be a big deal for me to get it "bricked".

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
eli2112 said:
There's no need to work at Nintendo to know that. Hackers will eventually find out, that is if they don't know already. That's why I'm asking. (and by hackers I mean ppl who actually codes for DS or make flashcarts, etc.).

I'm not using a Flashcart, but I'd like to... please refrain from judging as you don't know my reasons or purpose to it. And believe it or not, not all of us can afford to update our system with every single color or minor upgrade that comes out, even with the price drop, so it'd be a big deal for me to get it "bricked".

Well then don't buy one if you can't afford it. Just because your poor or jobless does not give you the right to pirate software. No one cares about your financial situation and if you are in such a tight budget than why are you even buying a 3ds anyways? Another thing is that no one buys all the upgrades/colors that come out and they aren't even necessarily to play the games. I know a lot of people who still the the DS phat and they can play everything except the dsi games which not many care about. Also everything you have asked can all be answered with a quick google search or even faster since your on this site with a glance at the forums.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
eli2112 said:

Yeah but no one has found out yet (or has but hasn't made that info public). So to be absolutely sure, don't use a flashcart.

QUOTE(3020 @ Aug 16 2011, 10:27 AM) Well then don't buy one if you can't afford it. Just because your poor or jobless does not give you the right to pirate software. No one cares about your financial situation and if you are in such a tight budget than why are you even buying a 3ds anyways? Another thing is that no one buys all the upgrades/colors that come out and they aren't even necessarily to play the games. I know a lot of people who still the the DS phat and they can play everything except the dsi games which not many care about. Also everything you have asked can all be answered with a quick google search or even faster since your on this site with a glance at the forums.
Why be so mean?
mellow.gif

eli2112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bowser said:
Yeah but no one has found out yet (or has but hasn't made that info public). So to be absolutely sure, don't use a flashcart.

Thanks, thats the kind of confirmation I wanted.

And to people like 3020, why even post? You're not consulting anything or contributing, and I specifically ask not to be judged about why I want to use a flashcard, which in anycase would be irrelevant, and you assume I'm poor, jobless or some kind of irresponsible person, also that I want to pirate games. If I don't elaborate is because I don't want to, it's none of your business AND is absolutely irrelevant to the topic. It'd be nice if you think about that.

Besides, I DID a google search and review multiple posts no only on this site and couldn't find a straight answer. Thats why I posted.

circuitry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eli2112 said:
bowser said:

Thanks, thats the kind of confirmation I wanted.

And to people like 3020, why even post? You're not consulting anything or contributing, and I specifically ask not to be judged about why I want to use a flashcard, which in anycase would be irrelevant, and you assume I'm poor, jobless or some kind of irresponsible person, also that I want to pirate games. If I don't elaborate is because I don't want to, it's none of your business AND is absolutely irrelevant to the topic. It'd be nice if you think about that.

Besides, I DID a google search and review multiple posts no only on this site and couldn't find a straight answer. Thats why I posted.

I agree. Comments like 3020's don't help anybody. It must garner some cheap pleasure to post crap responses like that as the result of some kind of superiority complex.

Hyozan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question. I have a japanese rom of a game, and a US 3DS, so will the game cause issues with the 3ds? If the cart is viewed as the game it is playing, and that's a region-locked game, what happens then?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hyozan said:
Just a quick question. I have a japanese rom of a game, and a US 3DS, so will the game cause issues with the 3ds? If the cart is viewed as the game it is playing, and that's a region-locked game, what happens then?
A Japanese DS game? Yes, it will work. Flashcarts ignore the region-lock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Soi soi soi rofl rofl rofl