Hacking 3DS Hack: "We hacked it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always found that approach to be a cautious one. The way I see it is the hacker will most likely update their device anyway so keeping it on a low firmware is most likely a waste. There is a chance a exploit is found on older firmwares but it usually or never happens.
So you're saying go ahead update it?

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post my browser screw up. I need an admin to delete this post. I tried to reply with the same message but i couldn't see it.

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More information is always a good thing. It's probably not like this blows the whole 3DS wide open.
You have a point.... yellows8's save exploit is easily able to be patched, but it is extremely hard to patch hardware, and the only way to do so is to design and release an entirely new chip. That leads to money spent for research, reverse-engineering the reverse-engineer's work (lol), and releasing that new chip in 3DS/3DS XL systems. Also, this was all done based on the hope that people who own the old one that may/may not be exploiting it to buy the newer one. Effort well wasted....

loco365

Trophies
XP
You have a point.... yellows8's save exploit is easily able to be patched, but it is extremely hard to patch hardware, and the only way to do so is to design and release an entirely new chip. That leads to money spent for research, reverse-engineering the reverse-engineer's work (lol), and releasing that new chip in 3DS/3DS XL systems. Also, this was all done based on the hope that people who own the old one that may/may not be exploiting it to buy the newer one. Effort well wasted....
So it was confirmed a savegame exploit? Does anyone know what game it is yet?

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

samagon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yellow 8 mentioned earlier that this exploit is running on the current firmware so there is no reason not to update especially given how buggy the original firmware is. Not to mention the fact that very few people keep their systems on original firmware so any sane developer planning to release something for the masses will try to exploit the latest firmware.

sinx4lyfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the club, but there is one catch. What if they have a firmware update and fix it? No online play :hateit: .

If this hack is real and is released i wont be suprised about a next day or a update asap. It happened with the vita im sure nintendo will take the same precaution Also can one of you respond to my question in the other thread?

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this hack is real and is released i wont be suprised about a next day or a update asap. It happened with the vita im sure nintendo will take the same precaution Also can one of you respond to my wuestion in the other thread?
I'm still cautious about my 3ds, I don't know if I should update it.

Edit - I just realized samagon replied to my question. So I guess I'm gonna update it.

samagon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i better get a prepaid card soon remember sadukohaxs the game was pulled off the store within a few hrs and fixed

The exploit is based on a retail game as in physical cartridge that you buy in a physical store that you have to walk to.

Seratonin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exploit is based on a retail game as in physical cartridge that you buy in a physical store that you have to walk to.
This is bad, now I have 5 friends calling me about this and word is going out to the public too fast. This means the 3ds will get patched soon:cry:.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is bad, now I have 5 friends calling me about this and word is going out to the public too fast. This means the 3ds will get patched soon:cry:.
Uhhh... Yeah... dude, most of the video game sites caught wind of it at the first hour or so, it went to the public way b4 your friends knew about it...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The 3DS is a fair bit more powerful than the PSP, so I'd hope it's possible - the Wii (from what I've read) is similar in power to the 3DS and can run an N64 emulator, so I'd hope it's possible...?
Off topic: GBAtemp really needs to add a sarcasm tag. Costello, take note. ;)
Very poorly, I might add. But hey, there are always other system that could be emulated well - SNES, Mega Drive, NES, Master System, PlayStation, Game Boy Advance... N64? Not so much. The console is notorious for being hard to emulate not only because its hardware is a tad convoluted, but also because the games often used complex "programming tricks" to go beyond its limitations.
How exactly do you expect them to patch something that's on retail cartridges in ways other than a System Update which you can easily decline? Besides, Nintendo doesn't know the nature of the exploit yet as it's not public.

...this would be a good time to stop updating your system just in case thought. ;) That said, we're at least a year away from proper libraries, so don't expect a homebrew fountain just yet.

antp121

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly do you expect them to patch something that's on retail cartridges in ways other than a System Update which you can easily decline? Besides, Nintendo doesn't know the nature of the exploit yet as it's not public.

just what i was gunna say lol unless they see into the future O.o

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Neimod has been busy mapping gsp (graphics) services on 3dbrew today:
http://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/GSP_Services

Hopefully this is addressing yellow8's problem yesterday:
<yellows8> it's still unknown how to use the gfx service to display anything.

This one is particularly interesting :P
"0x001C0040 SetLedForceOff"

Reactions: linuxGuru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/rI5IRxpcwDk?si=g8PPkbkjsSuwpjZW +1