AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahoy, GBATemp!

It's your favorite annoyance AdenTheThird here with a kinda dumb question. I just got a New 3DS (woot woot!) on sale and want to transfer data from my old 2DS to it.

• I would like all games, saves, themes and data to be transferred, including Home menu layout if possible
  • The new 3DS is running stock 11.9 firmware while the old one is running the latest version of Luma
  • I still need to purchase a 32GB MicroSD to accommodate all the crap I have on my present 3DS
  • My friend that I bought it from still has his NNID linked to it
  • I can use whatever .hax method is most convenient
  • I would like my NNID to be transferred to the new one
  • I am alright with formatting the save data completely on the new one if that is what needs to happen
  • If I am to do this and the 3DS is running Luma, will it remain or go back to stock?
  • Also, if I complete frogminer or steelhax or whatever and then unlink my friends NNID, will CFW remain?
  • I can provide any additional information as needed.
Thank you all so much! I guess my issue is not what to do, but what not to do, and when to do it, if that makes sense. Thanks for helping out!
:)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • The official transfer app will only transfer paid content and the Nintendo ID (also on the server side).
  • The target system must not have a NNID. Removing it is necessary for the official transfer app to do anything.
  • Custom firmware will survive on both, source and target system, in the transfer → But you have to repeat the finalizing setup at least on the source system.
  • Custom firmware will survive system format→But you have to repeat the finalizing setup.
  • Local deletion (formatting or removing with GodMode9) of your friend's NNID from the N3DS will NOT unlink it on server side. If he want's to link it to another 2/3DS system, he must contact the Nintendo support.
  • Backup your saves with JKSM and/or Checkpoint. Dump any titles which are not paid in the Eshop with GodMode9. If you have many and big games, this takes long (you can select multiple tmd files at once). If your SD is (almost) full, you have to do it one-by-one which is tedious. If you have the CIA files for your games, you don't need to dump them (obviously), but backup the saves in any case -- they can't be replaced if something goes wrong.
Hack the N3DS with any method you like; probably Frogminer if you don't have a compatible flashcart.

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • The official transfer app will only transfer paid content and the Nintendo ID (also on the server side).
  • The target system must not have a NNID. Removing it is necessary for the official transfer app to do anything.
  • Custom firmware will survive on both, source and target system, in the transfer → But you have to repeat the finalizing setup at least on the source system.
  • Custom firmware will survive system format→But you have to repeat the finalizing setup.
  • Local deletion (formatting or removing with GodMode9) of your friend's NNID from the N3DS will NOT unlink it on server side. If he want's to link it to another 2/3DS system, he must contact the Nintendo support.
  • Backup your saves with JKSM and/or Checkpoint. Dump any titles which are not paid in the Eshop with GodMode9. If you have many and big games, this takes long (you can select multiple tmd files at once). If your SD is (almost) full, you have to do it one-by-one which is tedious. If you have the CIA files for your games, you don't need to dump them (obviously), but backup the saves in any case -- they can't be replaced if something goes wrong.
Hack the N3DS with any method you like; probably Frogminer if you don't have a compatible flashcart.
Do I have to have the NNID unlinked from the server side in order for it to work?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do I have to have the NNID unlinked from the server side in order for it to work?
The only reason to get your friend's NNID unlinked from the server side is the ability to link the same ID to another 2/3DS. If he does not want to do this, you can just ignore. After formatting or removing the ID with GodMode9 you can link another ID.
  • More than one ID per console (not at the same time though) is fine.
  • More than one console per ID does not work.
This is part of the copy protection/DRM. Image someone buys software for $500 on the Eshop with a NNID and then would be able to simply link the same ID to more than one system. This would mean software worth $500 for free on the second/third system. Clearly not what Nintendo wants.

You could (partially) abuse this by lying to Nintendo claiming the system with $500 software is lost/broken/stolen. They will unlink and you can redownload the paid software on another console. However, I would say this is fraud(!). And the system you claimed to be lost/broken/stolen MUST NEVER GO ONLINE until you removed the NNID (and therefore the software) locally! And Nintendo will surly not unlink the ID more than once (or at least not for a long time after doing once).

Reactions: AdenTheThird

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
once week is the time frame, iirc
Are you sure about this? They will unlink my ID once a week and I can copy my paid software infinitely without hacking the consoles?!

I always thought the one week rule was only for the System Transfer app which takes care of the software being only usable on ONE device at a time (assuming no CFW involved).

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure about this? They will unlink my ID once a week and I can copy my paid software infinitely without hacking the consoles?!

I always thought the one week rule was only for the System Transfer app which takes care of the software being only usable on ONE device at a time (assuming no CFW involved).
honestly i believe so, i am fairly cretin that this in itself is the reason for the system transfer rule . . . i mean could/would they really lock me (or my child) away from my games because i have a destructive child who smashes handhelds then cries until i replace it ... not to mention in nintendos eyes more console sales always say more 3rd party support (without actually giving them a cut of the profit) . . . it would just make no sense from a business standpoint to by proxy limit the amount of times i can replace a "broken" or "lost" console

from personal experience i can say i have done it twice in one month but never needed to try for more than that

Last edited by wormdood,

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason to get your friend's NNID unlinked from the server side is the ability to link the same ID to another 2/3DS. If he does not want to do this, you can just ignore. After formatting or removing the ID with GodMode9 you can link another ID.
  • More than one ID per console (not at the same time though) is fine.
  • More than one console per ID does not work.
This is part of the copy protection/DRM. Image someone buys software for $500 on the Eshop with a NNID and then would be able to simply link the same ID to more than one system. This would mean software worth $500 for free on the second/third system. Clearly not what Nintendo wants.

You could (partially) abuse this by lying to Nintendo claiming the system with $500 software is lost/broken/stolen. They will unlink and you can redownload the paid software on another console. However, I would say this is fraud(!). And the system you claimed to be lost/broken/stolen MUST NEVER GO ONLINE until you removed the NNID (and therefore the software) locally! And Nintendo will surly not unlink the ID more than once (or at least not for a long time after doing once).
I'll stay legal because I'm a good boy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh