heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Turns out you can squeeze a lot more juice out of the 3DS. You just have to not care about any of its features.

One of the earliest questions we had about the 3DS was its battery life; with a revolutionary glasses-free 3D technology along with a much stronger processor than the DS, many had speculated just how long the battery would last? We finally got that answer during Nintendo’s Japan conference last week, which revealed that the handheld had a typical battery life of three to five hours on the brightest setting. While not as draining as Sony’s PSP handheld, it’s still a bit of a disappointment for gamers on the go, especially when it takes three hours to re-charge it.

Well, here’s some good news: during a Q&A with Nintendo, Kotaku got some additional details regarding the upcoming machine. It turns out that you’ll actually be able to squeeze out a whopping eight hours out of the 3DS…provided you don’t care about 3D. It seems the theories regarding the toll that the new tech gives on the 3DS has been confirmed, considering the massive difference in play-time. For those truly committed to gaming, the maximum playtime can be extended even further by shutting off all features completely, including brightness and wireless settings.

In addition, Nintendo also answered questions regarding the 3DS’ friend list feature. It turns out that you’ll be able to add a total of one hundred friends per handheld. For casuals, this may be more than enough space; for hardcores raised on Xbox Live, this number may be far too short. On the question of sending messages to each other, Nintendo was a bit more vague with their response, merely confirming that there will be messaging features of some kind, but did not elaborate further.

Finally, those who may have panicked over the 3DS’ unusually short power cord, worry not as it was confirmed to be a mock-up image. Not only will the real cord be much longer, you can also charge the 3DS with a DS/DSi power cable.
Source

So 8 hours without 3D and that can be further extended lowering brightness, switching off wireless. Yes this is good news!
gbasp.gif

Isabelyes

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good news indeed.
Personally, I didn't really mind the so-called low battery life,
but the people who did will be relieved to hear this.

Me, I'm just going to play it with 3D, highest brightness, maximum volume and wireless settings on~!
After all, I can charge it whenever I want. :3

void03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can use the DS/DSi charger?
So you don't need to use the dock then? or you need those to plug it in to the dock? lol

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I assumed as much that it was with everything on (and brightest) with why they measured it at 3-5 hours. But, what about when playing DS games? I know they gave a number for that already (was it 8 hours?), but if 3DS games can run, with 3D off, for 8 hours, wouldn't you think DS games could be ran longer?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's weird. Hardware manufacturers usually give battery life numbers based on the best case scenario. Why would Nintendo give numbers based on the worst case scenario?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
I assumed as much that it was with everything on (and brightest) with why they measured it at 3-5 hours. But, what about when playing DS games? I know they gave a number for that already (was it 8 hours?), but if 3DS games can run, with 3D off, for 8 hours, wouldn't you think DS games could be ran longer?
hmm you have a point there, it seems by that logic 3DS games without 3D last as long DS games would. A bit odd they consume the same power =/

QUOTE(Veho @ Jan 22 2011, 09:50 PM) It's weird. Hardware manufacturers usually give battery life numbers based on the best case scenario. Why would Nintendo give numbers based on the worst case scenario?
To avoid complaints later on and surprise us? I don't know XD

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
That 8 is is probably if you get really lucky. Does turning off 3D even do anything regarding saving power? I thought I read in a previous thread that the framerate would double which would mean the CPU would be doing the same amount of work anyway.

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Law said:
That 8 is is probably if you get really lucky. Does turning off 3D even do anything regarding saving power? I thought I read in a previous thread that the framerate would double which would mean the CPU would be doing the same amount of work anyway.
That's what I thought as well, apparently turning off 3D mode does indeed save battery life.

But hey I thought of something because 3D is limited to 30Fps, if developers up that to 60Fps in 2D then battery will indeed stay the same, however if they keep it to 30Fps in 2D mode then most likely battery life is improved significantly.

I could be wrong, maybe using 60Fps in 2D mode saves battery life too.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Law said:

Not really. The GPU is doing twice the work when in 3D mode, but the CPU isn't doing twice the work, only enough extra to send two sets of data to the GPU. The game engine (including mechanics, physics, etc.) continue to run at a constant rate, give or take a little depending on the amount of data it has to work with.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:

You're wrong... There is no doubling, the 3d isn't interleaved... It's progressive. That means that the system's refresh rate is ALWAYS 60hz... whether 3d is on or off. Whether a game runs at 30 or 60 or 15 fps is all up to the complexity of the game and the developers goal for the game... 3d on or not.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
koji2009 said:
Law said:

You're wrong... There is no doubling, the 3d isn't interleaved... It's progressive. That means that the system's refresh rate is ALWAYS 60hz... whether 3d is on or off. Whether a game runs at 30 or 60 or 15 fps is all up to the complexity of the game and the developers goal for the game... 3d on or not.

FPS lowering when in 3D mode has been confirmed on an interview.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm a battery whore, so my DSi's wi-fi light is always off (Unless I need it) and the brightness is always on 1/5.

With the 3DS, I plan on charging it like my phone. Whenever I'm not using it, I'll just drop it on the charging station.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ramonra said:
koji2009 said:
Law said:

FPS lowering when in 3D mode has been confirmed on an interview.

An interview from one company, not from all. If it was true for any application, complex or not, then such a drop would have been noticed and publicized since last year's E3.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get what's the big deal about this.
My DS lites only give 3-5 hours at the second the highest brightness setting, while using a flash cart with non-HC microSD. 3DS is reported to be the same.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got an accurate data chart? The one I'm looking at could be incorrect
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    lol. google it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't waive my dick around enough to pretend I'm right about everything
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That did come from Google lol
    google again
    Heres one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay then I could've been looking at wrong charts it happens
    2023 ps5 was outselling xbox by nearly 3:1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But still Xbox is doing well
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Certainly not dying
    Sure, xbox has sold better in some months. But PS5 has annihilated the Xbox in total sales
    I have both so it doesnt really matter to me who sells more.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I predict with more titles coming to Gamepass people will buy more Xbox consoles if they don't already have one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll see hey cod is on Gamepass and go that route
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, if my laptop will be good enough for it, then i might get gamepass to try bo6, not gonna put $70 into it until i know whether or not it's worth
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @SylverReZ 1. lmao 2. meta quests are the renamed oculus quests 3. "I hate Super Monkey Ball"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah just gamestream it if it's that bad
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Make sure you get Gamepass Ultimate version tho, that lets you cloud stream games
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Good morning
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good morning
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One good thing cod got right is transferring profiles through same accounts if coming from other devices
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna be playing jedi survivor
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That does look pretty good. I'm looking forward to Indy and Perfect Dark.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @cearp, Morning
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @cearp, Morning