Hacking 3DS may spell end to Ninty's piracy woes.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm prolly gonna buy it, unhackable or not.

As long as theres a flashcart on it that can run the outdated NDS games, I have no problem buying a 3DS game from time to time.

I have my doubts about an unhackable 3DS though.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I kinda doubt Nintendo is losing much money...

For all we know, piracy is what drove the NDS to claim the title of best selling system ever. Its surpassed PS2 and is well, well above the 100 million units mark. And even after it seems everyone in the world has a DS, they're still managing to sell more DS units than Wii units.

And then most of Nintendo games, I.E. Nintendogs, Pokemon, Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing, ect... are multi-million units sold each.

Especially Pokemon, which all their combined sales are over 25 million units (maybe even over 30 million)...

So how exactly has piracy hurt Nintendo? Last I heard Nintendo was like the 3rd largest company in Japan or something.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You can make the 360 region free (I think). And the 360 has definitely been hacked, except microsoft have chip detectors and if your found out your live account is banned which is why it's not very popular.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
mysticwaterfall said:
You've obviously never heard of FlashBoy.
And it's sold out
laugh.gif

I'd call that "well exploited"
wink.gif

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The 3DS Will obviously get 3D anti-piracy.
Anti-piracy coded in 3D, protected in a 3D Super awesome reaaaallly long password.
And on that password is a 3D password, which is even longer, and more passwords will be on there.
And when finally one of those passwords get cracked. The 3D's software will destroy itself.
They have implemented a bomb in the 3DS which will explode when one of the passwords have been found.

Oh wait. Probably not
smile.gif

But whatever, I don't think it will be unhackable.
But what IS possible is that it's kinda easy to crack, but f*cking illegal due to the fact that nintendo doesn't sell games retail form anymore. But sell them via an online store with super long awesome impossible to crack keys. (By buying, it will activate a new key. The games just won't work without the key.)
There probably is something hackable in there so whatever... -.-
Good luck nintendo

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As for AP, I recall something where Sony was spouting bullshit against Nintendo and after that they wanted to kiss and make up, I wonder in Sony gave Nintendo their PS3 AP technology for a pat on the head from the boys

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok people, selling a system is completly different that selling games. I hear your points about piracy did boost console sales, HOWEVER it does INCREASE PIRACY. The internet has already expanded, online shopping and importing is very easy. Right now a kid with a DS might just ask his parents to get him a flashcart because he found it on the internet. There's consequences, and you people saaying you're not going to buy a system because it's no hackable, if the world was like that then the PS3 would never have sold (and nintendo fanboys shut up about it not selling anyway, shut the F up).

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally Nintendo will see how piracy benefits them. They will probably get less sales with games being less popular (if piracy is not available, the popularity of games will be less). Popularity is directly proportional to sales, the more popular games are, the more sells it will get. How many times have pirates pirated a game out of curiosity only to be sucked into the franchise itself? All of these possibilities is not possible without piracy.

It's sad when giant corporations get so butt hurt on pirates getting their games for free and they don't take everything into consideration to show it.

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read on Wikipedia that the 3DS will take piracy measures "Too complex to explain".

I'll give it a month, two tops before the Acekard 3DS comes out.

ZeroTm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Finaly, the whole piracy thing has gotten too extreme. And I got one word for all who think that it will be cracked in a month or two: DSi

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Finally Nintendo will see how piracy benefits them. They will probably get less sales with games being less popular (if piracy is not available, the popularity of games will be less). Popularity is directly proportional to sales, the more popular games are, the more sells it will get. How many times have pirates pirated a game out of curiosity only to be sucked into the franchise itself? All of these possibilities is not possible without piracy.

It's sad when giant corporations get so butt hurt on pirates getting their games for free and they don't take everything into consideration to show it.

It's sad when pirate's thoughts are so diluted that they believe profiting (in the form of entertainment) off of someone else's hard labour without compensating helps the creators.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Zetta_x said:

It's sad when pirate's thoughts are so diluted that they believe profiting (in the form of entertainment) off of someone else's hard labour without compensating helps the creators.

I agree, at first I almost thought you were directing that comment at me.

I'll break it down to you in the 10 question game called Yes or No:

1) Yes or No? Are there more people in the game industry due to pirating?

2) Yes or No? Millions are spent on commercials, the function of a commercial is to let people know of their product. If you answered yes on question 1, doesn't pirating essentially do the same thing?

3) Yes or No? If you were to pirate an old NES game TODAY (God dammit I can't stress how much I mean today), does that developer lose money?

4) Yes or No? Imagine you are in a scenario where you have never played anything Final Fantasy. TODAY you pirate Final Fantasy I on the original NES. You enjoy the game so much that you decide to look into the Final Fantasy series. If you answered question 3 yes, does Nintendo receive potential profits from 'pirating'?

5) Yes or No? Can the same scenario occur with other games maybe not in a series? Given the millions of people who play games is there not a possibility of the scenario happening for an arbitrary game in an arbitrary genre?

6) Yes or No? If enough time passes by, will Nintendo DS games fit that category as question 3? Such that will a developer lose money if they pirate a DS game after a given time?

7) Yes or No? The ability to pirate is not free, such that hardware costs of consoles. Does there exist a scenario where someone who had no plans to buy a NDS but instead bought one because they can pirate games?

8) Yes or No? Continuing on from question 7, does not Nintendo make profit in scenario 7?

9) Yes or No? Has Nintendo ever brought up perfectly valid points as seen in questions 1-8 when talking about piracy?

10) Yes or No? Considering disillusioned is an opinion based on some reference points. Do you think there exists the possibility that maybe developers such as Nintendo are more disillusioned than pirates?

If you answer No to any of the question above, at least take half a second to come up with a valid argument or better yet a proof to why not.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think I wrote it before, not sure where or when, but even though I use backups myself ( for the Wii, DS and GBA ) I was sad when piracy became so easy and wide spread that anybody could do it.

I remember my first flashcart was a whooping $ 180 F2A 256Mb pro for the GBA.
Note , that it was 256Mbits, and it could hold 7-8 small sized GBA games, or 4 32Mb games.
The USB loader was extremely slow ( I was lucky to get one, some people had to deal with the even slower paraller port loader ) and not every game would work at the end , without some form of patching for the increased save files.
It was then expensive, difficult and laborious work to get pirated games even for the GBA ( and let's not forget how slow was dial-up internet 7-8 years ago, it qould take quite some time to download a simple GBA rom ).
So I was ( I am ) a geek, and I like homebrew, and for me the possibility such a " development kit " would open up for my precious GBA where amazing .
It was definitely worth for me and I went for it, but what about the average kid out there ? Would he spent $180 on a flashcart, have it shipped from China ( convince the parents ) and go through the whole hassle of downloading, patching and finally slowly transferring the games to the device , when he could instead buy a bunch of games for a lesser price ( or trade in/out or exchange with friends ) ?
Point is, that piracy was there, was possible, but out of reach for the average main stream casual user.
Note, that by the time I found out about flashcarts, I already had spent a lot of cash on original cartridges as well, so I don't think I particularly hurt the business at the time.

When the DS came out....after a few months people invented " pass trough " devices that would let some of those latest GBA flashcart run unsigned NDS code from the slot-2 of the DS.
Also to get rid of the inconveniently sticking out pass trough device, one had to install an alternate firmware called" flashme " which was an easy task, but nevertheless caused quite a few bricked DSs.
Games still needed to be patched and slowly transferred, and size of the memory on the card was a big issue for larger NDS games.
Again, piracy was there but somehow out of reach for the mass public, thus only marginally hurting the official sales.
It was a healthy type of piracy I think, it really opened up a lot of possibilities but it didn't really deal massive damage to the industry, until ..........fast forward, slot-1 cards came about ( R4 anybody ) .
No pass me required, no flashme required, drag % drop roms to the card and you are good to go, ANY idiot could do it, actually EVERY idiot did it, and that's when rampant piracy really started to hurt developers, publishers , hardware makers and ultimately, slowly, the end user itself.
That's BAD PIRACY, no question about it, the one I like to have, but also the one I hate most.
The same kind of piracy that dictated the end of the Dreamcast, and soon the DS, cause every developer with half a brain would realize the opportunity that a fresh start of the 3DS will offer ( in terms of revenue ) and if piracy will ever catch up , everybody will already have made billions off the new handled.

On the Wii is pretty much the same story.
Early on when the twilight hack was found and exploited, it was necessary to install a ' mod chip " in your Wii ( not an easy task, I know because I performed the first insallation on my Wii myself , and the wires were really thin ).
Said chip had to be imported and shipped from somewhere ( most likely China, again ) and the majority of people were better off seeking professional help ( $$ ) for the installation.
Once again piracy was there, but far out of reach to the average,new wave of the so called casual gamer .
Believe it or not, as much as I love my USB loaders, it was a sad day when I discovered that it was possible to hack the Wii and run commercial games on it without even a modchip.
And even the internet became floated with n00bs guide , fool prof ways to perform such hacks that ANYBODY could do it.

My stand is that at the end, a little piracy ( for the somewhat experienced geek ) could actually help sales ( at least hardware wise ) and spark interest on the system by the homebrew community.
But the kind of piracy we see today, especially on the Wii and DS , can only hurt whoever makes and sells games and hardware, and at the end ( in a long or short run ) the users them self.
I hope that whatever Nintendo does to prevent piracy on the 3DS ( and to the possible successor of the Wii ), will never be cracked or at least it will take it a very long time.
Those are word of a passionate gamer, one who would rather spend money on 5 very good games ( ensuring that sequels will eventually be made and developers would survive ) then having 200 games ( shovel ware ) for free.

Why do I pirate today you ask ? Because unfortunately I can.
I really hope that they would stop me someday, I'm already feeling bad about it ( and I feel double guilty because with all the games I download I can hardly finish a tiny portion of them ) .

Hopefully , Nintendo is on the right track this time, and by the looks of it, the DSi is already a winner, and so will be the 3DS.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it is possible for Nintendo to create a software engine that upon the first turn on, would create it's own software programming such that the possibility for 3DS_1 and 3DS_2 works the same way software wise. This would stop mass spread of exploits as one exploit may not work for another console. The console will then generate a greatly encrypted key only they can decrypt used to determine the type of software it has generated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, and the 12 inches pianist? +1