• Replies 53,807
  • Likes 43

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you mean by access to the store but you'll always be able to update your firmware. If Nintendo pulls some sort of trick that stops the current version of Luma working properly you may need to update Luma, but that's all: I mean, will I be able to open up the eshop and buy a new game just like I do now? Because as it stands, I can't access the store without updating the 3ds to the latest version (which I had to do when I bought the thing). So my concern is that putting cfw on it will mess up my ability to purchase and download 3ds games via the eshop. I'm not after free games, I just want to be able to play the games that I do own, but can't otherwise play on my 3ds (GBA and SNES games that aren't in the eshop).
yes you can use the eshop just fine
what do you mean "changing the firmware"???: Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, I mean putting Luma on. Does Luma overwrite the software version of the 3ds, or does it run along side it? i.e. will I still be running 11.6.0-39U and then when Nintendo releases an update, I just download that normally with Luma running along side of it?
the official firmware will still run in addition to cfw but the way cfw is implemented will require you to update it before you update the console (the update process is as simple as running any 3ds app/game) but other than needing to run an app before updating the console there will be no change here to the way the console works
Drains your battery when inserted even if not being used: I mean I can always just take it out when I'm not using it...If the only downsides are battery drain and $40, I'm still not convinced I should spend my time with cfw.
if you care about the speed and/or sound accuracy of your emulation or the resolution of it then scds2 is a bad idea and the cfw route will allow far better emulation . . . not to call your stance ignorant but would you rather pay 40 usd for ground chuck patty's or 0-20 bucks for grade a Angus . . . ?

Reactions: Quantumcat

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the official firmware will still run in addition to cfw but the way cfw is implemented will require you to update it before you update the console (the update process is as simple as running any 3ds app/game) but other than needing to run an app before updating the console there will be no change here to the way the console works
sometimes. don't always have to update luma first. but it's a good idea to check just in case.

Reactions: wormdood

sharf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you want to spend money and have battery drain and be not able to do hardly anything with your console? There is a huge world you will be missing out on. If someone offered you free plane tickets to go wherever you wanted to, would you choose to spend money just travelling by bus?
This analogy (like the beef one) isn't exactly applicable. I'm perfectly happy leaving my 3DS as is, I bought it to play Metroid, and I've done that. It could sit in my closet and I'd be fine with it. I have some friends who play other games (like smash, animal cross, pokemon) that I'll play with them occasionally, and it would be nice to play some older games from time to time for nostalgia's sake. The $40 is meaningless to me, I make more than that in the time it would take me to flash the firmware.

That said, from the sounds of things, cfw has come a long way since my friend got his r4 (He heard all kinds of horror stories about cfw, but this was years ago). So I'm not opposed to give it a shot, especially since the DSTWO plus is out of stock and the $20 is available.

In regards to ROMs, is there a reputable source you can tell me about? I realize it might not be something anyone can post. I used to use a website to get most of mine, but they've since been hit with a lot of DMCA take downs and don't have much of a selection, let alone cia files.

My last question is, how difficult is it to undo this process if I want to set it back to stock, or is that even possible?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Why would you want to spend money and have battery drain and be not able to do hardly anything with your console? There is a huge world you will be missing out on. If someone offered you free plane tickets to go wherever you wanted to, would you choose to spend money just travelling by bus?
This analogy (like the beef one) isn't exactly applicable. I'm perfectly happy leaving my 3DS as is, I bought it to play Metroid, and I've done that. It could sit in my closet and I'd be fine with it. I have some friends who play other games (like smash, animal cross, pokemon) that I'll play with them occasionally, and it would be nice to play some older games from time to time for nostalgia's sake. The $40 is meaningless to me, I make more than that in the time it would take me to flash the firmware.

That said, from the sounds of things, cfw has come a long way since my friend got his r4 (He heard all kinds of horror stories about cfw, but this was years ago). So I'm not opposed to give it a shot, especially since the DSTWO plus is out of stock and the $20 is available.

In regards to ROMs, is there a reputable source you can tell me about? I realize it might not be something anyone can post. I used to use a website to get most of mine, but they've since been hit with a lot of DMCA take downs and don't have much of a selection, let alone cia files. Use freeShop - you can download and install right on your console. There are instructions on the OP of this thread to setting it up.

My last question is, how difficult is it to undo this process if I want to set it back to stock, or is that even possible? It's possible, but not recommended. If you install any system title that requires cfw to run then your console might not boot or will start behaving strangely (when that system title won't run because CFW has been removed.) See https://3ds.guide/uninstall-cfw if you want to uninstall it

Last edited by Quantumcat,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The $40 is meaningless to me, I make more than that in the time it would take me to flash the firmware.
dude you make 40usd in 1/2 hr to an hour? really? i want that job

In regards to ROMs, is there a reputable source you can tell me about? I realize it might not be something anyone can post. I used to use a website to get most of mine, but they've since been hit with a lot of DMCA take downs and don't have much of a selection, let alone cia files.
google the type of file you want in this case "<game name here> 3ds .cia download" and pick the iso site . . . thats all i can say without violating site rules . . . unless you meant gba/snes ect you can get them there as well but you can also convert the roms you currently have
This analogy (like the beef one) isn't exactly applicable. I'm perfectly happy leaving my 3DS as is, I bought it to play Metroid, and I've done that. It could sit in my closet and I'd be fine with it. I have some friends who play other games (like smash, animal cross, pokemon) that I'll play with them occasionally, and it would be nice to play some older games from time to time for nostalgia's sake.
no mine was pretty fitting scds2's emulators are to cfw emulators as ground chuck is to angus . . . fatty clunky and all in all no where near as good . . .
My last question is, how difficult is it to undo this process if I want to set it back to stock, or is that even possible?
fairly simple and there is a section on this in the same guide one uses to install cfw

Last edited by wormdood,

LiLCruz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3DSXL is on firmware 6.3.0-12U but has Network ID attached to which I hate how do I remove network ID I don't care if I lose everything ID was not mine anyway should format first before hacking or is there a way remove network ID from the 3ds I really want put cfw without a Network ID.

Last edited by LiLCruz,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
My 3DSXL is on firmware 6.3.0-12U but has Network ID attached to which I hate how do I remove network ID I don't care if I lose everything ID was not mine anyway should format first before hacking or is there a way remove network ID from the 3ds I really want put cfw without a Network ID.
Format the system before or after hacking, it doesn't matter.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So you can basically do all the stuff you could do with a cartridge. Ok cool. So you can delete it through data management and go online too? And will it screw up any 3DS apps?
Yes. You can do everything exactly the way you do it with eShop or freeshop games.
No. It'll not screw up anything.

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Really hope this is the right place to ask this. My friend pointed me here before I go doing anything. I just recently got a new 3ds xl (the special edition samus one).

I have no desire to change out the firmware (which is what most everything I've been reading around here is about). All I want to do is to be able to play GBA/SNES (and maybe DS, probably not) ROMs. I was looking into a DSTWO+ for that, but now I'm not sure if I can do that without installing custom firmware.

Can someone set me straight?
Here's why 3DS flashcarts are bullshit:

(Note this was a reply to someone else, not you)

You want people to tell you to buy a Sky3DS or a Stargate 3DS (is that even out?), but the truth of the matter is, no one will tell you to do it. Because 3DS flashcarts are a scam.
The recommended way to play 3DS games is with CFW.

Sky3DS at first released a flashcart which could only hold up to 10 games maximum, after which, you had to buy another Sky3DS (Those things cost 80$+). It was proven that this was an artificial limit to get you to buy more Sky3DSes.
Gateway 3DS hasn't pushed an update on their progress in 7 months. They also have a history of bricking customers 3DSes if they tampered with their code. Oh and also, Gateway 3DS is a form of CFW, since you need to be on an exploitable firmware to use their product.
Stargate 3DS, from the rumors I've heard, seems to be a fuse of the Sky3DS team and the Gateway 3DS team. So Gateway now fucked over all those customers that have been waiting 5+ months to get an update.

Honestly, you want to support these scam businesses? If they were a good option, you would think we would have no objections, no?

The reason that we are refusing to recommend you a flashcart is because 3DS flashcart companies are full of shit.

Why do you hate CFW so much?

You came to a thread were the knowledgeable people respond. We, as knowledgeable, would never recommend buying a Sky3DS or a Stargate 3DS.
I am 99% sure you know that these products exist and you want us to recommend them to you, but we never will. We see right through their bullshit and we never recommend buying them.
There was a time when 3DS flashcarts were actually one of the few ways you could play 3DS games, and they were better than the CFWs that were around (back then we didn't have polished CFWs like Luma).
You keep asking for a 3DS flashcarts over and over again, but you will never get a recommendation for them. If you want to be recommended such products, go somewhere else where people are not as informed as they are here.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I managed to get the answer by myself, and the answer is that: no, N3DS use a KTR-003 battery model whereas the 3DS use CTR-003 or something, but still, they are not the same
Hope you're still here. Did the KTR-003 work with the Old 3DS, or vice versa? Because I have a spare KTR-003 and I wanna know if I can use that as spare for my N2DS XL. PS. N2DS XL uses CTR-003

sharf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude you make 40usd in 1/2 hr to an hour? really? i want that job It's pretty great.

google the type of file you want in this case "<game name here> 3ds .cia download" and pick the iso site . . . thats all i can say without violating site rules . . . unless you meant gba/snes ect you can get them there as well but you can also convert the roms you currently have What about freeshop?
no mine was pretty fitting scds2's emulators are to cfw emulators as ground chuck is to angus . . . fatty clunky and all in all no where near as good . . . That may be, but the angus isn't just $40 less, it also requires more prep time than the chuck. Also, your analogy is a one time meal, whereas cfw/flashcart is a reusable solution.
fairly simple and there is a section on this in the same guide one uses to install cfw I saw that, thanks.

SedRick_M89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You should have put the files to the sd card inside the console, not the flashcard.
I have the same 3DS mentioned above.. Samus edition 3DS XL, its on 11.4.0.37, i have the R4i Gold cart that is linked on the 3DS guide site and i get a black screen when i boot the flashcart at this step:
Section II - Flashing ntrboot
  1. Launch ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi.nds on your device using your flashcart

This is my third post on this site but no one seems to be helping me... did the guy with the same DS ever pull this off?

any help hugely appreciated...

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"That may be, but the angus isn't just $40 less, it also requires more prep time than the chuck." true . . .
Also, your analogy is a one time meal, whereas cfw/flashcart is a reusable solution. i think that adds more value to my statement not less as you only need to prep once so that you can eat forever (do you really want chuck every day over angus because its "quicker to cook" when you only need to cook once in your life . . . why lock yourself down with an inferior product just to save one hour one time once . . . was my point (or instead of prep time we can call it the time it takes you to teach how to cook angus vs chuck pattys then the repeated prep time is void as you only needed to do your part once . . . or even the time it takes to program a automated machine to cook the meats)
What about freeshop? its great but the freeshop is a way of pirating directly from nintendo's server meaning if the game is not on the eshop you cant find it there . . . that also means you cant get "retail only 3ds games" and the only classic games are the ones nintendo chooses (vc). . . while that website host just about the entire 3ds library and then some including snes/gba/nes/gens/gg/and so on already converted for you . . . as your time is so important to you i would imagine you dont really want to take the time to convert your current roms into .cia format

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have the same 3DS mentioned above.. Samus edition 3DS XL, its on 11.4.0.37, i have the R4i Gold cart that is linked on the 3DS guide site and i get a black screen when i boot the flashcart at this step:
Section II - Flashing ntrboot
  1. Launch ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi.nds on your device using your flashcart

This is my third post on this site but no one seems to be helping me... did the guy with the same DS ever pull this off?

any help hugely appreciated...
do you have the latest wood firmware on your r4?
and can i have a pic of its sd contents? (i dont need to see the ds roms or anything just the root to start)

Last edited by wormdood,

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Let’s say that a game were to get leaked and CFW users could get it before it released. You then put the cia in your sd card folder and install it with FBI. Since it’s an unreleased game, I’ve been wondering. Are you allowed to have your 3ds connected to the internet while playing the leaked game but not go online in-game or do you have to turn out wifi all together?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let’s say that a game were to get leaked and CFW users could get it before it released. You then put the cia in your sd card folder and install it with FBI. Since it’s an unreleased game, I’ve been wondering. Are you allowed to have your 3ds connected to the internet while playing the leaked game but not go online in-game or do you have to turn out wifi all together?
I had my Wi-Fi on when playing with Pokemon Moon when it leaked but I never connected to anything Wi-Fi related in-game until release day. You *should* be safe as long as you don't connect to the game's servers before release.

SedRick_M89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
and can i have a pic of its sd contents? (i dont need to see the ds roms or anything just the root to start)[/QUOTE]

Wood firmware!??
I just followed the guide exactly.
Literally first step, installing
ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi.nds.
The flashcard shows up. I boot it, and instead of giving me a menu, it goes white then black...

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and can i have a pic of its sd contents? (i dont need to see the ds roms or anything just the root to start)

Wood firmware!??
I just followed the guide exactly.
Literally first step, installing
ak2i_ntrcardhax_flasher_dsi.nds.
The flashcard shows up. I boot it, and instead of giving me a menu, it goes white then black...
i cant believe they removed that note from the guide (actually i can as they assume people already have and understand how an r4 works in the piracy world . . . but its still stupid) but you must be able to boot the flashcard and that means it needs its firmware in the case of the r4i that firmware is called wood . . . go to the website on your r4i's sticker to find the wood firmware, download and unzip it to the flashcards sd root

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That's why I had to stop wearing shorts in public. B-) +1