• Start date
  • Views 4,553,848
  • Replies 53,804
  • Likes 43

LuigiXL

Trophies
XP
Country
I made an ntrboot cart ages ago and now want to use it again, but i have forgotten which of my cards i used :lol: Does the ntrboot cart need a MicroSD (with any files?) in it when trying to boot from sleep? (2DS)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I made an ntrboot cart ages ago and now want to use it again, but i have forgotten which of my cards i used :lol: Does the ntrboot cart need a MicroSD (with any files?) in it when trying to boot from sleep? (2DS)
Nope, doesn't need any files if it is already flashed.

Reactions: LuigiXL

Pleieruon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Probably just buy another unit, not a broken display unit, since teardown still take a lot of work, New 3DS if you get lucky you can get it for like 120. Give the NTRBoot card a try first, before buying a new unit.

Because on the 3DS it says 4.6V and 900mA, and you use something that is 5.1V/2.4A it doesn't mean that you are taking care of the unit, when the voltage applies to the unit is too high or lower than what the voltage regulator can regulate, it put the system in stress, and the eMMC on the motherboard doesn't have a voltage regulator, that is how it get damaged when it come to voltage. In the future for device that has weird voltage/amp requirement stay away from power bank, I have a powerbank that is 10000 mah but I never used it with my 3ds, and use whatever charger it comes with. Standard device charge via usb port at 5V/1A so using a powerbank with those make no difference as if it was plug into the wall with a 5V/1A charger.

By taking care I meant that I never dropped or something, but I understand what you said. From now on I'll only use the standard charger (its a pain in the ass for someone who is always traveling, but for the sake of the gadget I will do it). I live in Brazil, here a used new 3ds costs 8 to 10 times more than buying a broke unit and exchange parts. I've already tried NTRboot through a Flashcart (using the sleep mode booting method with the magnet) if is that what you mean.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By taking care I meant that I never dropped or something, but I understand what you said. From now on I'll only use the standard charger (its a pain in the ass for someone who is always traveling, but for the sake of the gadget I will do it). I live in Brazil, here a used new 3ds costs 8 to 10 times more than buying a broke unit and exchange parts. I've already tried NTRboot through a Flashcart (using the sleep mode booting method with the magnet) if is that what you mean.

Well if you tried the NTRboot Card method, then it seems the eMMC is damaged, because it is an integrated chip on the motherboard, so to fix the problem you either have to replacing the motherboard, or buy a new unit. Worth a try taking a look on eBay, there are some users located in the US that do ship to Brazil.

Reactions: Pleieruon

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have Luma 9 and on FW 11.7, and I haven't updated to 11.8 yet because that breaks Luma. I wanna update to Luma 9.1, which fixes compatibility, but how would I go about this? Would I update the 3DS first and then update Luma, or update Luma first and then update the 3DS?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have Luma 9 and on FW 11.7, and I haven't updated to 11.8 yet because that breaks Luma. I wanna update to Luma 9.1, which fixes compatibility, but how would I go about this? Would I update the 3DS first and then update Luma, or update Luma first and then update the 3DS?

Either way is fine, you just need to replace 9.0 with 9.1

PenWallet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hey, I'm tempted to buy a New 2DS XL, and after looking intensely at how to play 3DS Roms in it, I still don't have a clear picture on how to run them. I come from the good 'ol days, where all you had to do was copy and paste the games you wanted to the R4 cartridge and play on the DS, so all of this is making my head hurt a bit.
Say I want to install Mario Maker, for example. Would I just need to find the .cia file around there and install it using it FBI? Or is there an easier way? Because installing it that way is like downloading the game from the eShop, as in, it occupies memory in the console's memory, right?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm tempted to buy a New 2DS XL, and after looking intensely at how to play 3DS Roms in it, I still don't have a clear picture on how to run them. I come from the good 'ol days, where all you had to do was copy and paste the games you wanted to the R4 cartridge and play on the DS, so all of this is making my head hurt a bit.
Say I want to install Mario Maker, for example. Would I just need to find the .cia file around there and install it using it FBI? Or is there an easier way? Because installing it that way is like downloading the game from the eShop, as in, it occupies memory in the console's memory, right?

There use to be a freeshop, that people can download free game from. Now a day you have to download games in cia format online and install via FBI. In order to do this you need to install custom firmware. Yes to install game that is 1GB size you need at least two gb of free space prior putting the cia file on the 3ds.

Last edited by Hayato213,

PenWallet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yea, I think I got how to install CFW from reading around, but I've also read something about bootNTR, isn't that a faster way to play 3DS games?
I want to know if there's a way to just having the .3ds file in the SD card, for example, and running it, like in the old days. I'm really confused, as you can prob see, lol

Last edited by PenWallet,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I think I got how to install CFW from reading around, but I've also read something about bootNTR, isn't that a faster way to play 3DS games?

NTRBoot is a entry method that allow you to install Boot9strap and Luma3ds. There is Sky3ds that no body really use these day, sky3ds+ cost like 80 usd I think.

PenWallet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So everyone who wants to play a 3DS title just grabs the .cia from the Internet and installs it, right? So if I want to install more games, I'd have to uninstall some others, like in smartphones?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So everyone who wants to play a 3DS title just grabs the .cia from the Internet and installs it, right? So if I want to install more games, I'd have to uninstall some others, like in smartphones?

As long you have a large enough SD card you can install as much games as you want, up too 300 apps limit.

PenWallet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oh, so they install in the SD card, not the actual console's memory.
Alright, thank you very much, you solved most of my worries about buying the console! I want it even more now!

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so they install in the SD card, not the actual console's memory.
Alright, thank you very much, you solved most of my worries about buying the console! I want it even more now!

Average games size is like 1-2 GB, some games are like 3 GB ish. Depending on how much games you want to install, 128gb or 200gb is good, I currently have an 200gb, actual size is 183 gb and I installed about 100 3ds games i have about 50-60gb left.

Pleieruon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well if you tried the NTRboot Card method, then it seems the eMMC is damaged, because it is an integrated chip on the motherboard, so to fix the problem you either have to replacing the motherboard, or buy a new unit. Worth a try taking a look on eBay, there are some users located in the US that do ship to Brazil.
I just bought an used 3ds unit with damage on the upper display (something like a leak...) and a shell on a terrible overall state. It cost me about $30. Now I'm planning the surgery. I've been thinking about some questions though. Follow me:
  • On my fried 3ds I had a NNID with some games "bought" on eshop with ciangel tickets (before the recent "banstorm" actions from N). Unfortunately, I've never create on a Nintendo Account before this BSOD event, nor linked it to the 3ds NNID. I've read on Nintendo support pages that I could reach Nintendo support and ask them to unlink my NNID from the dead system so I can link it to another. Would they be able to know that those games on that NNID wasn't legit?
    • Not that I care that much, because I didn't have any really purchased game on that NNID. Is just a question to satisfy my curiosity. And... If this is possible, it would save me a good time to restore the games that I was playing before the event.
  • On the used 3ds that I've bought, I've seem some saves that would be interesting to backup to my "new" system (after the factory reset that I planning to do). What is the best way to transfer this saves to the cleaned system?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought an used 3ds unit with damage on the upper display (something like a leak...) and a shell on a terrible overall state. It cost me about $30. Now I'm planning the surgery. I've been thinking about some questions though. Follow me:
  • On my fried 3ds I had a NNID with some games "bought" on eshop with ciangel tickets (before the recent "banstorm" actions from N). Unfortunately, I've never create on a Nintendo Account before this BSOD event, nor linked it to the 3ds NNID. I've read on Nintendo support pages that I could reach Nintendo support and ask them to unlink my NNID from the dead system so I can link it to another. Would they be able to know that those games on that NNID wasn't legit?
    • Not that I care that much, because I didn't have any really purchased game on that NNID. Is just a question to satisfy my curiosity. And... If this is possible, it would save me a good time to restore the games that I was playing before the event.
  • On the used 3ds that I've bought, I've seem some saves that would be interesting to backup to my "new" system (after the factory reset that I planning to do). What is the best way to transfer this saves to the cleaned system?

In the case if you did had a nnid, not sure if contacting Nintendo would do much since you had custom Firmware on it before it brick, they might or might not grant the nnid transfer, never contacted them about an nnid linked to a cfw 3ds myself. If you are gonna contact them, contact them before setting cfw on the new unit. They will asks about some games you purchase before on the eshop, so there are some thinking involve if you don't remember what games. Tikshop and cia angel installed games via eshop doesn't count toward this.

In 11.8, the way the network install manager works is that if the nim detect a fake ticket it sent an encrypted list of tickets to nintendo, that is a way people get ban on 11.8 console. Cia angel/tikshop ticket method actually doesn't show you actually owned the game, it just allow you to download the games as if you purchased them legally. Too bad they patched all these thing related to tickets and eshop.

Game save are encrypted by default, if you never decrypted using JKSM or Checkpoint then they aren't accessible.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I had a NNID with some games "bought" on eshop with ciangel tickets
When an NNID is moved, only games actually bought will move. If you didn't buy anything with that NNID I would not bother. The CIAngel tickets are only local to the console, the NNID is server side so it has no knowledge of games your console thought it owned.
On the used 3ds that I've bought, I've seem some saves that would be interesting to backup to my "new" system (after the factory reset that I planning to do). What is the best way to transfer this saves to the cleaned system?
You can use JKSM to backup saves and restore them. You'll need homebrew access on both consoles.

yagami69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
sorry if this was asked before, is there any DS flashcart (only for DS games) that currently works with any of the most recent versions of the 3DS firmware (non mod)?

I am searching for one to play DS games in particular with my 3DS, but don't want to mod the 3DS, any recommendation ?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
sorry if this was asked before, is there any DS flashcart (only for DS games) that currently works with any of the most recent versions of the 3DS firmware (non mod)?

I am searching for one to play DS games in particular with my 3DS, but don't want to mod the 3DS, any recommendation ?
Any DS flashcart that is recommended for latest version here https://3ds.guide/ntrboot since they have to work to use them to mod your 3DS.

PenWallet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So can you use any of those flashcards, say the R4i Gold 3DS Plus, to play any old DS game without needing to install any CFW?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm gonna guess it's on Phillippines