• Likes 43

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.3ds/.3dz files go on the mSD in the gateway card, root directory although it may be possible to folder them now, not sure. Sorry can't link to any or you will ban me. :)
Launcher.dat goes in root of the SD and must be formatted to FAT32. It is recommended to format the mSD to exFAT.
The card 1 saves will end up on the SD as xxxx.sav

Thanks I appreciate your help. So you are saying the only thing that needs to be on that micro sd are 3DS roms? (thanks for not linking to any, I have plenty of places to get them haha). So what, does the Gateway only need the internet exploit and the launcher.dat to work?

I am used to DS flashcarts where its my job to create the folders and provide the flashcart with its necessary OS and data files.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks I appreciate your help. So you are saying the only thing that needs to be on that micro sd are 3DS roms? (thanks for not linking to any, I have plenty of places to get them haha). So what, does the Gateway only need the internet exploit and the launcher.dat to work?

I am used to DS flashcarts where its my job to create the folders and provide the flashcart with its necessary OS and data files.
On 4.5+ systems the gateway card is necessary to boot into gateway mode but is not necessary to remain in the 3DS if you run cia files that are installed to the SD card. So it is possible for two or more 3DSs to share one GW if all games are run as cia and not 3ds/3dz. If you drop out of emunand then the GW is needed to boot back into gateway mode. So in some respects the GW card is really only a dongle and mSD adapter. Once booted into emunand all it does is provide data storage.

There is some trickery or whatever way to boot into classic mode without the gateway card using CFW and/or the MT launcher but I don't really follow that scene.

And thanks for cleaning up our garbage every once and awhile. :)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. My end goals right now are to get my JP 3DS LL downgraded to 4.5 and dump all my retail US carts to files it can understand. I am using my US 3DS as a test to make sure it all works.

Yeah, no problem. Must of it is good stuff, but its easy to let tempers flare and lose sight of what the OP was haha.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. My end goals right now are to get my JP 3DS LL downgraded to 4.5 and dump all my retail US carts to files it can understand. I am using my US 3DS as a test to make sure it all works.

Yeah, no problem. Must of it is good stuff, but its easy to let tempers flare and lose sight of what the OP was haha.
That was a little vague so I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do but if your retail carts were played on a 6.x + system then the most of the saves are not going to work on a 4.x system. Take a look at the emnand save mega guide sticky at the top of this sub for more details. There efforts to work around this with some success but retail cart saves are tough to convert over to gateway.

could i somehow play pokemon X with a 4.5 sysnand?
would just dumping the rom and playing it from the red card work?
The game should play. The problem is the save. Fortunately there are workarounds for Pokemon. I know one involves Powersaves that apache thunder wrote.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes. I suggest you use a second emunand that does not contain any installed content to access the eshop. The purpose is so eshop does not detect content that is not legit and delete it for you. :)

Wait, to passphrase, you recommend using two unlinked emunands? One for eshop/legit stuff, one for .cia's and roms? I might as well use two separate sd cards for that, as copying stuff over would be a chore.

You can to simply copy emunand from a SD card as windows cannot see the hidden partition that contains emunad. That is where the emunand tool comes I to play. You can copy the Nintendo 3ds folder structure on the Sd card, but that folder structure is not "emunand" it is a a data directory for emunand.
I know, I know, it was a shortcut on my part. btw, technically emunand isn't on a partition, but on non-partitioned sd card space :P

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was a little vague so I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do but if your retail carts were played on a 6.x + system then the most of the saves are not going to work on a 4.x system. Take a look at the emnand save mega guide sticky at the top of this sub for more details. There efforts to work around this with some success but retail cart saves are tough to convert over to gateway.

Yeah I saw that. Can I start the game over without my saves? If you dont know, thats fine, I can always take a chance.

So I have an issue. I got the exploit to run once, and it said I needed to update my version, so I did. Now when I run the exploit, I get kicked back to the 3DS menu screen, no Gateway mode. What am I missing?

EDIT, the update dragon shows up, but nothing loads and I get kicked out to the regular home menu. Like something is crashing.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

The game should play. The problem is the save. Fortunately there are workarounds for Pokemon. I know one involves Powersaves that apache thunder wrote.
shame, i wanted to play my save
is there a way to get my save?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I saw that. Can I start the game over without my saves? If you dont know, thats fine, I can always take a chance.

So I have an issue. I got the exploit to run once, and it said I needed to update my version, so I did. Now when I run the exploit, I get kicked back to the 3DS menu screen, no Gateway mode. What am I missing?

EDIT, the update dragon shows up, but nothing loads and I get kicked out to the regular home menu. Like something is crashing.
Most likely you are in emunand/gateay mode. Only way to be sure for now is enter system settings and look at the version number. if GW proceedes 9.x or 4.x or whatever then you are in emunand. Beware! Once you exit system settings you will be dumped back to sysnand. As I just told another user after the first time you run the exploit it auto boots to emumand. If you want to open the gateway menu, when running the exploit and the screen turns white/grey hold the left trigger and you will see the Gateway Menu.

Should be no problem starting the games from scratch.

There are several ways to set it up to know if you are in emunand. Change the home screen layout. Create folders with letters that spell a word. Use themes. Press select and see if multi rom menu appears on top screen. Install bigbluemenu on emunand and you will see its icon.

At first when emunand is a fresh 1:1 copy of sysnand it is hard to tell the difference.

shame, i wanted to play my save
is there a way to get my save?

There appear to be ways for many games, I just haven't done them. Not enough time or motivation to go through the hastle for me. The carts work fine in classic mode and with all the new games available to my boys now, they are not touching the old ones. :). There are lots of threads on the subject, you won't have to go back very far to find them. It's not like you need to read all 300 posts to figure out if it applies to you. :)

Reactions: BORTZ

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely you are in emunand/gateay mode. Only way to be sure for now is enter system settings and look at the version number. if GW proceedes 9.x or 4.x or whatever then you are in emunand. Beware! Once you exit system settings you will be dumped back to sysnand. As I just told another user after the first time you run the exploit it auto boots to emumand. Mir you want to open the gateway menu, when running the exploit and the screen turns white/grey hold the left trigger and you will see the Gateway Menu.

Should be no problem starting the games from scratch.

There appear to be ways for many games, I just haven't done them. Not enough time or motivation to go through the hastle for me. The carts work fine in classic mode and with all the new games available to my boys now, they are not touching the old ones. :). There are lots of threads on the subject, you won't have to go back very far to find them. It's not like you need to read all 300 posts to figure out if it applies to you. :)

Thanks you have been a huge help. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong lol. When I would boot the exploit, I would get booted, and my system settings said U9.2-20 or whatever. But you were right, holding L got me into the menu. Now I gotta find a bigger SD cart to back up my NAND.

Yeah I just like not having to switch carts. And downgrading to 4.5 will keep me from having to run the exploit every time.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks you have been a huge help. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong lol. When I would boot the exploit, I would get booted, and my system settings said U9.2-20 or whatever. But you were right, holding L got me into the menu. Now I gotta find a bigger SD cart to back up my NAND.

Yeah I just like not having to switch carts. And downgrading to 4.5 will keep me from having to run the exploit every time.
Have you checked to make sure you booted to emunand or have you formatted emunand from the gateway menu yet?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am certain I have not formatted my emuNAND yet. I want to make a copy of my sysNAND (i think thats what it is) first. Maybe thats why.
That explains it. The exploit did not find an emunand to boot to so you get dumped to sysnand. Make your sysnand backup and store several copies securely. Make a backup of emunand with the emunand tool immediately after you create it and before you update it to 9.5 then make a backup of that. Having a couple of SD cards is really handy and a mSD card with adapter will work as well, some claim that is not as fast however. Idk.

Reactions: BORTZ

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
hello!! I've got a weird thing (or not?) on emuNAND with my CIA games, everytime I open emuNAND, the games appear unwrapped, and this is everytime I enter on emuNAND, is this normal?? or what I'm doing wrong?? to install them I use my own dumps of PKMN and Smash, then transformed into CIA's using QUENO138's tutorial, with Gateway I use BigBlueBox.3DS (Note that I don't have installed BigBlueBox or DevTools on my System) on emuNAND 9.0.5U and everything gone right, I can play them, save and so... but this happen everytime I turn it on, I tried insstalling them without emuNAND on sysNAND 9.0.2U. Thanks in advance!!

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello!! I've got a weird thing (or not?) on emuNAND with my CIA games, everytime I open emuNAND, the games appear unwrapped, and this is everytime I enter on emuNAND, is this normal?? or what I'm doing wrong?? to install them I use my own dumps of PKMN and Smash, then transformed into CIA's using QUENO138's tutorial, with Gateway I use BigBlueBox.3DS (Note that I don't have installed BigBlueBox or DevTools on my System) on emuNAND 9.0.5U and everything gone right, I can play them, save and so... but this happen everytime I turn it on, I tried insstalling them without emuNAND on sysNAND 9.0.2U. Thanks in advance!!
Certainly there are reports of systems behaving outside the norm. It is normal for them to appear wrapped every time you boot to emunand. It you unlink sysnand and emunand by formatting sysnand with the Sd card out they will be unlinked and you should not have to repeatedly unwrap them.

You say they are unwrapped every time so that would indicate you have already unlinked the nands. Perhaps you mistyped? Perhaps you really enjoyed unwrapping them and would like to do it more often?

cheers - I didn't know about the 'select' for multigame..
all working now.
Thank you
Just select for multi rom menu works on my system, no need for the left trigger. YMMV.

MAXLEMPIRA

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Mexico
Certainly there are reports of systems behaving outside the norm. It is normal for them to appear wrapped every time you boot to emunand. It you unlink sysnand and emunand by formatting sysnand with the Sd card out they will be unlinked and you should not have to repeatedly unwrap them.

You say they are unwrapped every time so that would indicate you have already unlinked the nands. Perhaps you mistyped? Perhaps you really enjoyed unwrapping them and would like to do it more often?

sorry, yep they are "wrapped" everytime I enter emuNAND, so... I should unlink my sysNAND and emuNAND to fix this??

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, yep they are "wrapped" everytime I enter emuNAND, so... I should unlink my sysNAND and emuNAND to fix this??
Yes. Format sysnand from the system settings menu with the SD Card out. Upon next boot into sysnand with the Sd card in it will create its own folder structure on the Sd card.

You have a sysnand and emunand backup, correct?

MAXLEMPIRA

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes. Format sysnand from the system settings menu with the SD Card out. Upon next boot into sysnand with the Sd card in it will create its own folder structure on the Sd card.

You have a sysnand and emunand backup, correct?

Yes I have sysNAND backup, I'll read some tutos of how to backup emuNAND and what's the pros and cons of doing this (Unlink NAND's), thanks for the quick answer, I'm so gratful!! :)

Reactions: thorasgar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: :wub: