• Replies 53,799
  • Likes 43

X_Frost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding NAND Backups:

In the event I had to format my 3DS (to remove the update data prompts) Is the NAND from before the format compatible post-format, or do i have to make another NAND backup?

yuukihiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi again :), sorry for my bad English especially my grammar, I hope you guys can understand me :) I'm already updating my Gateway 3ds to 2.1 Omega. There's no problem when I tried some games such as Resident Evil Revelations (U), Bravely Default (Eur), Kingdom Hearts 3DS : Dream Drop Distance (U), and Devil Survivor Overclocked (U). But I can't run Rune Factory 4 (U) on my Gateway 3DS. My Nintendo 3DS system always go into black screen and ask me to turn off my 3ds System.

Do I Need update my firmware through GW3D 4.X.X-XX version for playing Rune Factory 4 (U) ? Is that because Rune Factory 4 (U) firmware is above 4.5 firmware ?

But when I see, from latest Gateway 3ds 2.1 Omega tutorial, there's no need to update the gateway firmware anymore to play Pokemon X & Y. What should I do ? Or is it possible if my Rune Factory 4 rom data is corrupted ?

And from Gateway 3DS Official Website said "SUPPORTS ALL 3DS ROMS TO DATE" & "100% GAME COMPATIBILITY", is that mean we can play every game (oldest to newest) without updating firmware through GW3D 4.X.X-XX version ?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi again :), sorry for my bad English especially my grammar, I hope you guys can understand me :) I'm already updating my Gateway 3ds to 2.1 Omega. There's no problem when I tried some games such as Resident Evil Revelations (U), Bravely Default (Eur), Kingdom Hearts 3DS : Dream Drop Distance (U), and Devil Survivor Overclocked (U). But I can't run Rune Factory 4 (U) on my Gateway 3DS. My Nintendo 3DS system always go into black screen and ask me to turn off my 3ds System.

Do I Need update my firmware through GW3D 4.X.X-XX version for playing Rune Factory 4 (U) ? Is that because Rune Factory 4 (U) firmware is above 4.5 firmware ?

But when I see, from latest Gateway 3ds 2.1 Omega tutorial, there's no need to update the gateway firmware anymore to play Pokemon X & Y. What should I do ? Or is it possible if my Rune Factory 4 rom data is corrupted ?

And from Gateway 3DS Official Website said "SUPPORTS ALL 3DS ROMS TO DATE" & "100% GAME COMPATIBILITY", is that mean we can play every game (oldest to newest) without updating firmware through GW3D 4.X.X-XX version ?

First off, good job on your english! I'm totally able to understand you.

As for why you cannot run Rune Factory, there are a few possibilities:

1) Rom corruption/bad dump - Your ROM may have been improperly dumped or corrupted during download
2) MicroSD Fault - It is also possible you have a damaged MicroSD file system. There are formatters to fix this problem, I don't know any off hand. Anyone else got one?

You don't need to update your emuNAND (GW3D Version) for any ROMS. That is for if you want to play legit games or use the eShop

Hope this helps!

Regarding NAND Backups:

In the event I had to format my 3DS (to remove the update data prompts) Is the NAND from before the format compatible post-format, or do i have to make another NAND backup?

Yes it is. NAND is only incompatible between devices. Another backup couldn't hurt though.

Reactions: yuukihiro

yuukihiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, good job on your english! I'm totally able to understand you.

As for why you cannot run Rune Factory, there are a few possibilities:

1) Rom corruption/bad dump - Your ROM may have been improperly dumped or corrupted during download
2) MicroSD Fault - It is also possible you have a damaged MicroSD file system. There are formatters to fix this problem, I don't know any off hand. Anyone else got one?

You don't need to update your emuNAND (GW3D Version) for any ROMS. That is for if you want to play legit games or use the eShop

Hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for your answers :) I think, there's nothing wrong with my MicroSD, because I tried to import other games to it, and it works normally. And I already tried re-import this Rune Factory 4 (U) in 2 different MicroSD, but the result is still same.

As you said, maybe that was because of my Rom corrupted, I'll try to re-download it later. I'll try to re-format my MicroSD too :)

Am I don't need to update my emuNAND even I playing roms with firmware above 4.5 ?

btw what do you mean by "legit games" ?

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for your answers :) I think, there's nothing wrong with my MicroSD, because I tried to import other games to it, and it works normally. And I already tried re-import this Rune Factory 4 (U) in 2 different MicroSD, but the result is still same.

As you said, maybe that was because of my Rom corrupted, I'll try to re-download it later. I'll try to re-format my MicroSD too :)

Am I don't need to update my emuNAND even I playing roms with firmware above 4.5 ?

btw what do you mean by "legit games" ?

legit is slang for legitimate. Basically, normal cartridges authorized by nintendo.

Reactions: yuukihiro

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, I don't have a 3DS, but I'm going to buy in the finals of 2014, I'm thinking if will be hackeable on the last System menu, is that posssible? Yeah, I know in the future will be there more updates but for now, in the latest System menu, it is still hackeable? Thanks!

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only 4.xx firmware is currently hackable......smealum has a hack for newer firmware, however it's not yet publicly available. By then it may or may not be, it's really kind of hard to say. 4.xx firmware is now roughly a year old, and hard enough to find that there's other threads on this forum dedicated to finding retailers that have them around still.

EDIT: to clarify, that doesn't mean that nintendo won't patch out whatever hole smealum's hack uses...probably better to research it some closer to when you actually intend on getting the 3ds.

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
only 4.xx firmware is currently hackable......smealum has a hack for newer firmware, however it's not yet publicly available. By then it may or may not be, it's really kind of hard to say. 4.xx firmware is now roughly a year old, and hard enough to find that there's other threads on this forum dedicated to finding retailers that have them around still.

EDIT: to clarify, that doesn't mean that nintendo won't patch out whatever hole smealum's hack uses...probably better to research it some closer to when you actually intend on getting the 3ds.

But, someday will it be hackeable? in my country the games are VERY expensive, I don't have so much money to buy 3 games at mouth, do you think the 3DS 7.1.0 will be hackeable on november?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But, someday will it be hackeable? in my country the games are VERY expensive, I don't have so much money to buy 3 games at mouth, do you think the 3DS 7.1.0 will be hackeable on november?
The new hack smealum is working on is not able to enable flash cards it's user mode, meaning it will most likely be just for homebrew.......apparently it does work on 7.1 though, but there is still no easy way to launch it afaik....that's what smealum is working on before releasing

Reactions: Goku Junior

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means patches for games, like the 1.1 update and stuff.

No flash cart can directly run the updates in their dumped form. However, you can update games in your region from the eShop using emuNAND on 3.0

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think he means patches for games, like the 1.1 update and stuff.

No flash cart can directly run the updates in their dumped form. However, you can update games in your region from the eShop using emuNAND on 3.0
Can't use 7.x emunand on the clone launcher except the bricky one, they could use MT or gateway launcher to get the update though I think

....but then they have to put up with the addition bugs that 7.x bring to the party once they switch back to 3.0 such as breaking region free and system settings etc

Reactions: misterb98

RJ Sly 95

Trophies
XP
Country
Can't use 7.x emunand on the clone launcher except the bricky one, they could use MT or gateway launcher to get the update though I think

....but then they have to put up with the addition bugs that 7.x bring to the party once they switch back to 3.0 such as breaking region free and system settings etc

Hmm what do you mean?

3.0 is buggy to me even without having ever used emunand (for that matter I'm using 2.0) :huh:

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't be possible to just "remove" the emunand? Would this affect firmware 2.0 too?

Also what do you mean by " use MT or gateway launcher to get the update"?
Sorry for all the questions :P

Here is the problem:

1. You want an update
2. To get an update, you need to use the eShop
3. To use the eShop, you need to use the latest system version
4. If you download the latest system version, you can't play roms
5. In order to download the latest system version and still play ROMS, you need emuNAND
6. In order to have emuNAND, you need to use 3.0+
7. 3.0 emuNAND doesn't work with the eShop
8. 3.1-3.3 can brick your system.
9. In order to use the eShop, you need to use GW 2.1
10. Once the update is downloaded, in order to use it you need to use 3.0, which has buggy saves.

Basically, this is what you have to do in order to use an update:
1. Back up your 3ds's SD card
2. Download 3.0 Launcher and place on SD card.
3. Hold L in ds profile and select format emuNAND (this will delete the data on your SD card, which is why you backed it up)
4. Select the first option (GW mode, or if they renamed it something else. Its the red boot)
5. Go to System Settings, verify that it says "GW3D" and if it does, !!!WITHOUT EXITING SYSTEM SETTINGS!!! update
6. Turn off the 3ds.
7. Put your files back on the SD card (it will be 1gb smaller now)
8. Download GW 2.1 launcher and place on SD Card
9. Run ds profile exploit, and select classic mode (second option)
You should notice you have miiverse, as you are now in emuNAND.
10. Enter eShop and search for your update
11. Download the update.
12. Turn your 3DS off
13. Place the 3.0 Launcher back on the SD card
14. Play your game! You should have the update now.

The only downside is you have to use 3.0, which means you have to make sure you can save as well as deal with the system not always running the exploit properly. Basically, you have all the 2.0b1 bugs.

If you go back to 2.0 (GW 1.2) you will not have the update anymore. (On 3.0 you will sill have it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, the other game where I found newgrounds is new york shark
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Spoke to Tom Fulp the other day, if he can find his old Newgrounds site content like the mini Flash animations from the 2000's that played on the portal.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So far no response, but he did say that he'll find them. Wayback Machine doesn't have em.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast the 1999 versión of pico's school is avaliable (the difference between it, the 2006 versión and the 2016 versión is that the speed of the game depends of the speed of your computer and that it had the og soundtrack)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Another being Pico VS Bear, the original 1999 version before Jim Henson filed a DMCA takedown.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    The 2006 versión was made when the flash portal was made
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many people thought it was lost, but was discovered that he hid it on the same page.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, although the "secrets" system where the game was has been removed. Also pico vs uberkids had a netplay versión that was shutdown, although the swf file has been found
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nope. There are two download buttons on the same page, where you can download the original under a file called "bear.exe". "bear2.exe", however, is the updated game in a Flash projector. P.s. this was on the archived Pico page from 2000.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's been there for a long time, too. People who search for lost media don't look hard enough lmao.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, also the pico 2 demos used to be only for the newgrounds patrons but they are on internet archive too (https://archive.org/download/picos_school_2)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Iirc the demos were removed from newgrounds in 2022
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, or well only the demo with mindchamber's style was on newgrounds
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Fun fact @SylverReZ: iirc one of the goals on the fnf Kickstarter stated that pico 2 would be finished but the Kickstarter didnt get enough money for that goal to be fullfiled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, FNF sucks, their community is toxic as hell.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ its a single player game
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, Yea but it has a shitton of mods with their own songs and stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and quite a lot of people involved in those mods get cancelled
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Newgrounds wasn't the birth of FNF; rather, it was games where you beat up celebrities and parodies.
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    FNF was born from Game Jams
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    Specifically Ludum Dare 47
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, and Sonic fights a la dragón ball z
    T @ Texasauras: help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUPdNq0qyeA