• Replies 53,807
  • Likes 43

DOSO-draws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why would a modded N3DSXL that seems bricked sporadically respond to Start+Power or Select+Power? Corrupted OS?

It was working fine until I started dabbling with Retroarch + Homebrew, then I started getting increasingly more crashes, then it stated not waking up from sleep, then it seemed bricked... except it will randomly/irregularly turn on.

I tried updating Luma to 12.0 and sometimes I can get to the menu, but when I hit Start to initiate the process both screens go black blue light remains on, and nothing happens (I tried leaving it running for a couple hours).

What's happening here? Hardware issue, perhaps?

liavcol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Are you able to backup and restore other cart files using checkpoint?
Yes, I checked. The problem changed a bit, I didn't mention before that even copying the save file with FBI gives the following error:
Failed to paste content
Result code: 0xD900458B
Level: Permanent (27)
Summary: Wrong argument (8)
Module: FS (17)
Desc: Invalid RomFS or save data block hash (395)
Anyway, I updated Checkpoint and now it says that it was able to copy the save file successfuly, and looking at it with an hex editor on my PC it does seem to look like something that's not corrupted (although you really can't tell). The only problem is that I'm trying to load the save file to Citra (3DS emulator) to check that the save file does work and sadly the game fails to load it.
I got a bit more technical here, hopefully I didn't confuse you...
And thanks for trying to help :)

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would a modded N3DSXL that seems bricked sporadically respond to Start+Power or Select+Power? Corrupted OS?

It was working fine until I started dabbling with Retroarch + Homebrew, then I started getting increasingly more crashes, then it stated not waking up from sleep, then it seemed bricked... except it will randomly/irregularly turn on.

I tried updating Luma to 12.0 and sometimes I can get to the menu, but when I hit Start to initiate the process both screens go black blue light remains on, and nothing happens (I tried leaving it running for a couple hours).

What's happening here? Hardware issue, perhaps?
Backup your data somewhere safe on your pc, and check the sdcard for errors with h2testw, to make sure it's not faulty or dying.
Empty it completely, then run the test with the "read & verify" setting.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After using this guide to perform a dirty System transfer, everything is working well except for the fact that the screen calibration is messed up when using the other 3DS's NAND in EmuNAND, and works properly in SysNAND. I've noticed that the min. and max. brightness values in the rosalina menu on the EMUNAND fron a different 3DS are also different than the ones on my actual SysNAND. Does anyone know where these display calibration files are saved on the NAND so that I can copy them over?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After using this guide to perform a dirty System transfer, everything is working well except for the fact that the screen calibration is messed up when using the other 3DS's NAND in EmuNAND, and works properly in SysNAND. I've noticed that the min. and max. brightness values in the rosalina menu on the EMUNAND fron a different 3DS are also different than the ones on my actual SysNAND. Does anyone know where these display calibration files are saved on the NAND so that I can copy them over?
Screen calibration is done by hcal 1 and 2 iirc. I don't know how to fix it exactly.

Reactions: orangy57

Kzgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using GYTB, I keep getting the error that the badge file is in use, and I need to load all of my badges in my badge case and to wait before launching, how do I fix this?

DOSO-draws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Modded 3DS (latest firmware/ luma 12.0) : Homemenu freezes on launch.

I have otherwise access to Fastboot, GodMode9 and Safe Mode. What gives?

Things I've tried:

- clearing extdata
- restoring NAND backup
- CTRtransfer
- SD card format/ different SD cards

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modded 3DS (latest firmware/ luma 12.0) : Homemenu freezes on launch.

I have otherwise access to Fastboot, GodMode9 and Safe Mode. What gives?

Things I've tried:

- clearing extdata
- restoring NAND backup
- CTRtransfer
- SD card format/ different SD cards
It could be a hardware issue, like the sd card reader.. You never encounter any errors (like Arm11) just freezes?

Reactions: DOSO-draws

DOSO-draws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It could be a hardware issue, like the sd card reader.. You never encounter any errors (like Arm11) just freezes?

I do get Arm11 exception errors sometimes, and I have considered it could be a hardware issue like that since the SD cards behave erratically and I've tested both of them on the computer, with no issues found.

Anything else I can try from the software side? I also tried system save wipe.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do get Arm11 exception errors sometimes, and I have considered it could be a hardware issue like that since the SD cards behave erratically and I've tested both of them on the computer, with no issues found.

Anything else I can try from the software side? I also tried system save wipe.
CTRTransfer should've done something to fix it if it was a software issue. You could try ctrtransfer type D9 but be careful using it. Other than that, no, i'd start by replacing the sd card reader..

DOSO-draws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
CTRTransfer should've done something to fix it if it was a software issue. You could but be careful using it. Other than that, no, i'd start by replacing the sd card reader..
I'll look into it. However, I find it strange that I'm also getting freeezes/arm11 exceptions when booting luma from SYSNAND. It could still be a hardware issue asides from the card reader, though.

Right now it didn't freeze as quickly and went on to create home menu management information, but it's apparently stuck there.

Oh well. To debug and learn.This is almost a meta video game.

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it strange that I'm also getting freeezes/arm11 exceptions when booting luma from SYSNAND.
You mean turning it on without the sdcard? Yes, it can still happen, the sd card reader will behave the same..
It could still be a hardware issue asides from the card reader, though.
I'm not seeing it, the symptoms match the behavior the sd card reader does when it's not working properly..
If it was the wifi board, the 3ds wouldn't boot to the home menu and then freeze, instead it wouldn't boot to the home menu at all..

DOSO-draws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You mean turning it on without the sdcard? Yes, it can still happen, the sd card reader will behave the same..

I'm not seeing it, the symptoms match the behavior the sd card reader does when it's not working properly..

I know this may seem farfetched, but - what if it were a cfw conflict introduced by the latest update that makes the SD cards behave erratically? I mention this because I've noticed these types of problems are not uncommon, recently.

Anyway...

Is it tricky to replace the SD card reader on a N3DS XL? Do you happen to have any guides at hand? I'm not finding anything useful in my initial searches.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
I know this may seem farfetched, but - what if it were a cfw conflict introduced by the latest update that makes the SD cards behave erratically? I mention this because I've noticed these types of problems are not uncommon, recently.

Anyway...

Is it tricky to replace the SD card reader on a N3DS XL? Do you happen to have any guides at hand? I'm not finding anything useful in my initial searches.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+XL+2015+Teardown/36346

It's not tricky at all since you don't need to desolder or anything. It's just a simple module. You don't need to teardown all console parts, just opening it up is all it takes

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this may seem farfetched, but - what if it were a cfw conflict introduced by the latest update that makes the SD cards behave erratically?
Nope.
Is it tricky to replace the SD card reader on a N3DS XL?
Open the back cover, be careful not to rip the ribbon cables of the shoulder buttons, the sd card reader is connected to the mobo thru a ribbon cable as well, it's easy to take it off and replace it..

DOSO-draws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nope.

Open the back cover, be careful not to rip the ribbon cables of the shoulder buttons, the sd card reader is connected to the mobo thru a ribbon cable as well, it's easy to take it off and replace it..
Alright, seems like I have a new tinkering opportunity. Thanks!

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, seems like I have a new tinkering opportunity. Thanks!
Just a tip, when mine was acting up (sd card reader) i accidentally discovered that the 3ds starts working after i put some pressure on the back cover, the area when you insert the sdcard, and it immediately freezes or gives an Arm11 whenever i let go. So if you want to try it, put a piece of paper close to that area, thick enough to apply sufficient pressure on the sd reader and screw it tightly. It might not work for you, but it's worth a try imo, specially if you don't have an sd reader replacement yet..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Going to the beach