• Views 4,526,054
  • Replies 53,797
  • Likes 43

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that's a bad choice because as far as I know, there's no N64 core for 3ds.

But let's put an example with Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for Super Nintendo, just to keep on the Mario RPG thing.

First, you need RetroArch. Currently the latest version is 1.16, but it has an audio glitch on the 3DS version, so I recommend 1.15. Here it is:

http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.15.0/nintendo/3ds/

Grab the CIA version. Once dowloaded, you open the package and see two folders: cia, and retroarch.

The first one only holds retroarch.cia, and can be put wherever you put your cia files to install. The retroarch folder goes into the root of your SD card.

Once it's there, go to the retroarch/cores folder. That long list of files are the emulators you'll use, known as cores. As I mentioned, is best to only use the ones you want to use. In this example we will only use snes9x2002_libretro.cia, so if you want, create a new folder there named Unused, and move all the others there.

Once that's done, go to the root of your sd card, and create another folder, name it whatever you want, and it will be used to hold the games you're going to use with retroarch. I personally order them by systems, and inside each system folder, by genres. This keeps things much tiddier.

Once you have your game, and the retroarch files, you can take the SD card on your 3DS or 2DS (New systems are preferrable, though!).

Once on your console, open FBI, and install retroarch.cia. This will install the main Retroarch access. Open it up, and after a few seconds, you will find yourself in the main menu of Retroarch.

Here, you should go to Load Content (Content meaning games), choose Explore and go to the folder you set up for your games, and choose Super Mario RPG.

Retroarch will, or could prompt you with choosing which emulator to play it on, if you have several of them that can accept the formats that SNES games use. If you have only snes9x_2002 though, it might pick it automatically.

Whatever the case, choose that one if you need to, and then it will be installed in your console.
Wait a couple seconds and you'll see the game boot up and start playing.

And there you go, you have the game running! Now, as I mentioned, I would recommend setting up at least the aspect ratio so your games look pixel perfect.

You can tap the lower screen to enter Retroarch Menu at any time. Doing so will take you to the Quick Menu that I mentioned before. Press B, to go to the Main Menu. Choose settings, and then Video and Scaling.

There, go to Custom Aspect Ratio Width and set it to 256, and Height to 224. The two options above serve you to center the screen if you want it in any particular position. Also set Crop Overscan ON if it's not.

Now, press B to exit back to Settings. Go to Directory. Go to Downloads, the second option and press A. Navigate to the folder you put for the games, and choose <Use This Directory>. Now whenever you choose Load Content, you can go to the "Downloads" and get instantly to your folder instead of navigating to it every time.

Lastly, press B to go back to the Main Menu, and then choose Quick Menu. Press A, and then on the bottom go to Overrides. Then choose Save Core Overrides, and that should be the most basic setup.

After that you can just play. By doing this you've basically set up your SNES emulator to look good, and you can boot any SNES game with that configuration so you don't need to do anything more.

There's a lot more you can tweak but that's the simplest of steps. Borders, core settings to change palettes for systems that allow it, customize controls per game if it's your thing, and a lot more. But you don't need to learn all of that instantly, is better to keep trying stuff little by little if you care about it. I myself I found out earlier that you can apparently change the bottom screen's menu and make it nicer to look at.

Of course anyone reading this needs to understand we're dealing with the system's limitations, and that some emulators might have performance issues for that, while others work poorly, like the Virtual Boy one, but that's more on the emulator itself than the system (it also works poorly on the Wii, but at least that console has the WiiMednafen VB emulator).

It's a matter of trying and finding which ones perform well.
Thank you for being so helpful!

VirtualDice

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Is there a tool for Windows that allows me to extract all textures from a RomFS folder? And in such a way that the folder structure is preserved?

Thanks already

AStrkl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! Very new to this!
I have been recently trying my hand at romhacking for 3DS games, mostly for fun/learning. Ive managed to do a bunch of "easy" things like replacing textures but Im currently stuck:

I am trying to replace texts in Theatrythm Dragon Quest, and Ive been looking everywhere in the Romfs for the japanese font texture. The game only display japanese characters so I wanted to find the first font.

I was able to find the files containing the game text and replace them, but it doesn't display any non-japanese characters of course. So Ive been looking everywhere and couldnt find the font texture, I was wondering is it possible that the game uses a system font, or that the fond could be somewhere else than in the romfs folder?

Playing the game with Citra and using Pica viewer, I was able to catch glimpse of small textures with japanese characters that looked like part of a font, but still couldn't find those in the rom files. I've also decompressed the code.bin and tried to look at the shader for font, thinking that maybe a font texture would be mentionned somewhere, but no luck

Any pointer on how to approach this would be great, thanks!

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by SylverReZ,

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh hai, I have an old game plugin in PLG format that was never converted to 3GX. The creators made some exclusive and pretty sweet codes that were never absorbed into the commonly-available plugins, and they aren't really into this scene enough to follow the 3GX format.

So I'm not quite sure what the best way to use it is.... if it can even be used. Is conversion a simple matter? If not, how does one get BootNTR Selector working these days? Thanks for any advice.

sikera

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about firm payloads. I know if you use gm9 or fastboot3ds it's possible to boot firms from the normal 3ds menu without having to reboot, with tools like That-Shortcut-Thingy or open agb launcher. Once you load the firms, is it possible to exit back into the 3ds home menu without shutting off/rebooting the system?

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi there, can I use Godmode9 to fully delete a system title (and then reinstall it)? I don't want to overwrite, I want to make sure it's completely deleted before I install the version that I want.

The reason for this is that I can't downgrade 0004013000002D02 since it makes Sysupdater crash. Probably because I spoofed that title a long time ago.

Kamarao

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello!
Some years ago I a sold my 3ds, to not lose all my pokemons (inside of a save on Pokemon Ultra Moon) I backup the entire content of the folder of SD card. Now, some years later, I bought a 3DS again with FBI and all that stuff. My question is: where is the save file from my old pokemon? I search in the SD folder, but is just some random folder with number and stuff.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!
Some years ago I a sold my 3ds, to not lose all my pokemons (inside of a save on Pokemon Ultra Moon) I backup the entire content of the folder of SD card. Now, some years later, I bought a 3DS again with FBI and all that stuff. My question is: where is the save file from my old pokemon? I search in the SD folder, but is just some random folder with number and stuff.
Was the save from a cart or digital title of pokemon?

Kamarao

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Attachments

• IMG_20231101_222219.jpg
    IMG_20231101_222219.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231101_222132.jpg
    IMG_20231101_222132.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20231101_222143.jpg
    IMG_20231101_222143.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231101_222221.jpg
    IMG_20231101_222221.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 21

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
If someone is able to help me go through these files and is able to tell me which ones can get removed and such without me fear that I migth delete something important?

1699234367488.png
1699234408429.png

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How to fix?
You can't just ask "How to fix?" ! Provide some details! What were you doing when this happened, what happened before, does anything else work normally, that sort of thing.

I'm guessing this has something to do with Pokemon X. Are you running it from your SD card, or from a cartridge? If it's on the SD card, did you download it from the eShop, or from some random Internet site? Are you using cheats? If so, have you tried disabling the cheats?

homebrewuserlol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't just ask "How to fix?" ! Provide some details! What were you doing when this happened, what happened before, does anything else work normally, that sort of thing.

I'm guessing this has something to do with Pokemon X. Are you running it from your SD card, or from a cartridge? If it's on the SD card, did you download it from the eShop, or from some random Internet site? Are you using cheats? If so, have you tried disabling the cheats?
Indeed it does have to do with cheats and Pokemon x. sorry I just feel lazy got the game from the hsop cheats are from checkpoint I was trying to use the 255 pokeballs cheat it just kept doing this error over and over again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: It's just a joke..