Hacking 3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

• Thread starter Cyan
  • Start date
  • Views 4,541,345
  • Replies 53,799
  • Likes 43

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alot of the games i want to play are online...

can i use a 64GB mirco sd card with gateway?
when i want to play online with a 3ds rom can the rom be trimmed to save room on the sd card...

peat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
anyone know what the cheapest ds mode flashcart thats compatable with a 4.3fw 3ds is? i need one to replace my blue gateway card

Personally if I was buying a new DS mode flash cart I'd buy a Supercard DSTwo. Emulates GBA games, has slo-mo and real time saving, and is generally more future proof, supporting more firmware versions. But if you don't plan on playing any DS or GBA games, carry on.

alexenochs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally if I was buying a new DS mode flash cart I'd buy a Supercard DSTwo. Emulates GBA games, has slo-mo and real time saving, and is generally more future proof, supporting more firmware versions. But if you don't plan on playing any DS or GBA games, carry on.

even the cheapest flash cart would suit me i mean a cheapo cart can play almost 100% of ds games i did have a dstwo but lets just say it doesnt live anymore anyways i need something super cheap but one that can support atleast 16gb microsd i guess ill end up buying the acecard+3ds or w.e it is gba emulation im not worried about im sure by the end of the year ill be able to use the ambassador games with my gateway

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
alot of the games i want to play are online...

can i use a 64GB mirco sd card with gateway?
when i want to play online with a 3ds rom can the rom be trimmed to save room on the sd card...

Yes, a 64 GB MicroSDXC can be used with a Gateway 3DS, provided you format it properly. I personally use one.

I am not certain about trimming.

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't see a sticky on the first page regarding dumping your own cart. Is there a step by step tutorial on this? And is there a tutorial on moving a save file from a dump you did over to another device?

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
Trimming can be done. You can even remove the updates from some ROMS but it's a bit annoying since you have to choose between the >3.0 or <3.0 firmware options when doing so.

I didn't see a sticky on the first page regarding dumping your own cart. Is there a step by step tutorial on this? And is there a tutorial on moving a save file from a dump you did over to another device?

Boot into the Gateway menu by holding L when loading the DS profile. Select the game dump option. It will save it to your system SD card. Take that out when done and copy it to your computer. Easy.

Blueie

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
1. Yeah, it's possible to update emunand via a rom by holding up as you enter gateway mode...nthis disables the FW spoof allowing a cart update to be ran......but it's not the recommended method for updating emunand, it's left in as a sort of secret option
So with this method one can update the emuNAND to a firm version that isn't the latest? Why isn't it recommended? Is there a risk of affecting the sysNAND?

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question, with the gateway 2.3 Beta uptade, is it "safe" to update your emunand to the latest 3ds firmware?

IvanMXDF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
BestR4i3DS is 50 cents cheaper if you want to buy a gumball.

Why did you say that? What is a gumball?

SMASH BROTHERS, ANOTHER GATEWAY EXCLUSIVE (NOTE: We are using Gateway OMEGA 2.3b Launcher.dat with emunand 8.1, and a SD card larger than 2GB)

Why they are using a +2gb SD Card? I just have a 2gb card...

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So with this method one can update the emuNAND to a firm version that isn't the latest? Why isn't it recommended? Is there a risk of affecting the sysNAND?
Yeah, you can update to whatever version you like as long as there is a rom with the version on,it's the correct region and it's not lower than your current fw version, and it's not recommended as. It's been tested less, although I have tried it a few times and it worked fine, I don't want anyone updating sysnand if there is any bugs......also you can't enter settings to confirm your in emunand...you have to rely on visual differences I.e moving stuff around or making the "sys" & "emu" folders on your homescreen

Reactions: Blueie

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Trimming can be done. You can even remove the updates from some ROMS but it's a bit annoying since you have to choose between the >3.0 or <3.0 firmware options when doing so.

Boot into the Gateway menu by holding L when loading the DS profile. Select the game dump option. It will save it to your system SD card. Take that out when done and copy it to your computer. Easy.

Will this dump the whole game along with the header intact or do I have to go through a second step on header? As for the save on the cart, how do I get that so I can transfer to another device?

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you can update to whatever version you like as long as there is a rom with the version on,it's the correct region and it's not lower than your current fw version, and it's not recommended as. It's been tested less, although I have tried it a few times and it worked fine, I don't want anyone updating sysnand if there is any bugs......also you can't enter settings to confirm your in emunand...you have to rely on visual differences I.e moving stuff around or making the "sys" & "emu" folders on your homescreen
Or you can just press select and see if the loader comes up.

Will this dump the whole game along with the header intact or do I have to go through a second step on header? As for the save on the cart, how do I get that so I can transfer to another device?

I believe it dumps with complete header, however, saves are another story. The process is the same, there is an option in the Gateway menu to back up saves. Usability might depend on whether if it's card1 or card2. The difference is that one saves on the system SD card, the other saves in the ROM itself. I think it mainly matters on the save's size. if your save backup is less than 512kb, it won't work at this point in time until GW team comes up with a fix. Otherwise, if you dumped your ROM yourself and backed up the save, you should be able to use your save still. It just goes on the system SD card and has to be named "titleID".sav. Title IDs can be found at 3ds.essh.co. Change your ROM extension to 3dz and that should do it. But like I said, if it's too small, the game will say it's corrupted.

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah so you can only back up saves if the saves are stored on the cart itself (card 1?). Is there anyway of finding out if a game is card 1 or 2? Planning on doing all this for smash and I'm not sure what card it is.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Or you can just press select and see if the loader comes up.
*snip*
that just proves your in gateway mode, its better to be 100% sure with visual differences......but then again i don't think the trick works unless you have emunand set up

but the amount of people who just rushed and updated their sysnand based on the fact the could "load roms" kinda proves there is a lot of people who dont understand that gateway mode is NOT emunand it self,

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a quick question here...why does renaming the ROM files from 3DS to 3DZ allow it to go online? What happens when you try and go online with a game that has the 3DS extension, is there an error from the system or...what?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just a quick question here...why does renaming the ROM files from 3DS to 3DZ allow it to go online? What happens when you try and go online with a game that has the 3DS extension, is there an error from the system or...what?
online requires a valid header which contains the required info to connect online, .3ds ignores this extra data(it doesn't even need it present which is why scene rom's work despite not containing a header) so it has no valid header so cant connect online, .3dz read the data so it can use it to connect online

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
online requires a valid header which contains the required info to connect online, .3ds ignores this extra data so it has no valid header so cant connect online, .3dz read the data so it can use it to connect online
Ah right, okay. So basically the different formats change how the 3DS interacts with those files...is this something Nintendo implemented or Gateway?

GuyInDogSuit

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
that just proves your in gateway mode, its better to be 100% sure with visual differences......but then again i don't think the trick works unless you have emunand set up

but the amount of people who just rushed and updated their sysnand based on the fact the could "load roms" kinda proves there is a lot of people who dont understand that gateway mode is NOT emunand it self,

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: happy pride month guys