Canada
Reactions: Pk11

CrimsonRed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That doesn't really answer the question. Are you going to use any of those features? Are you regularly using the 3D on your o3DS right now, and do you think head tracking would substantially improve your experience? Are you playing any games that have C-stick or amiibo support? Do you think amiibos would improve your experience? Do you even own any amiibos? (Have you seen the prices for those things?) Are you bothered by the load times on any of the games you are playing?
It's not my intention to sound crass, but does it matter? I have already bought the console. It's here and I'm going to use it. I just wanted a N3DS.

After reading more into it, I have decided to just make a new NNID. I had only bought Dillon's Rolling Western and some themes on the old 3DS. All of my games are physical and I think most if not all of them create save files on the cartridge. Is there a list of game that only save on the SD card?

draftguy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@CrimsonRed

http://3dsdb.com/

At the rightmost side. Card1 saves to internal SD,
Card2 saves to the game cart / rom (untrimmed).

1295C880-2F2C-4AB4-853D-470390AE5D00.jpeg

Last edited by draftguy,
Reactions: EirikrInnMyrkr

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All of my games are physical and I think most if not all of them create save files on the cartridge. Is there a list of game that only save on the SD card?
Those are games that use extdata. The most popular ones would be Fantasy Life and Super Mario Maker. Some games like Super Smash Bros only use extdata for specific features, such as replays.

At the rightmost side. Card1 saves to internal SD,
Card2 saves to the game cart / rom (untrimmed).
I'm not completely sure what that means, but that suggests most games save to the internal SD, which is definitely not true. (Also, Pokemon Rumble World was released as both an eShop download and a physical cartridge, so it wouldn't make any sense if it saved to the game cart.) https://gbatemp.net/threads/realease-card1-card2-converter.405915/ suggests it relates to how Gateway specifically handles saves. (I suspect it relates to whether Anti Savegame Restore is involved – which doesn't really matter when one is dealing with cartridges.)

ETA: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3gaeao/card_1_card_2/ suggests it's specifically a matter of how the save data is written to the game cartridge and not whether it uses the game cartridge at all.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

draftguy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All of my games are physical and I think most if not all of them create save files on the cartridge. Is there a list of game that only save on the SD card?
The question was related to cartridges only.

I can only guess that the releases on that site are sometimes
converted from cia (eShop) -> 3ds (cartridge image)…

But CrimsonRed uses original cartriges, so that doesn‘t matter.

Edit: And it is not only GW related, card1 games save are on the sd card,
card2 saves are on the cartridge.

Last edited by draftguy,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit: And it is not only GW related, card1 games save are on the sd card,
card2 saves are on the cartridge.
I can assure you that is not the case! Maybe it works that way when you're using a Gateway, but the vast majority of games released on a cartridge will save their data to the cart! You can pick up almost any used 3DS game, use it in your 3DS, and find someone else's save data on it!

draftguy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK, you win. :bow:

I know the difference between card1 and card2 games
and its unrelated to gateway (roms) or original cartridges.
So I assume you speak of card2 cartridges, thats normal.

Seems I did not know the difference, its been a while.
So, card1 saves to the game cartridge and may ask to save to the
internal SD card.
Card2 saves extradata to the internal SD card not to the game cartridge.
And its related how gateway handles the saves.
You will loose the extradata without a system transfer.

Sorry, I got confused myself.

Last edited by draftguy,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You will loose the extradata without a system transfer.
Well, that much is true – but to be clear, you can still manipulate extdata with CFW (or alternative means like Godmode9, JKSM, or threeSD).

So, card1 saves to the game cartridge and may ask to save to the
internal SD card.
I've never seen a game provide that kind of choice. Fantasy Life and Super Mario Maker absolutely require an SD card and are both designated "card1" in the list in question.

EirikrInnMyrkr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've installed a game from cartridge onto the SD card, and am trying to backup the save from the original cartridge and restore it to the SD card intall using Checkpoint. I have successfully created the backup, but after starting the game from the SD card, and creating a new save (I'm pretty sure, Capt. Toad doesn't have a save icon that pops up that I can see, but my progress is still there after restarting the game), it's not appearing in Checkpoint. I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've installed a game from cartridge onto the SD card, and am trying to backup the save from the original cartridge and restore it to the SD card intall using Checkpoint. I have successfully created the backup, but after starting the game from the SD card, and creating a new save (I'm pretty sure, Capt. Toad doesn't have a save icon that pops up that I can see, but my progress is still there after restarting the game), it's not appearing in Checkpoint. I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong.
I believe you need to press and hold the B button while in chechpoint to refresh the list of saves you have available.

EirikrInnMyrkr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you need to press and hold the B button while in chechpoint to refresh the list of saves you have available.
Thank you. That worked. I saw in the "button help" section that B "deselected" games, but I wouldn't have guessed that meant it refreshed the list.

One more question. The first time I tried to refresh by holding B in Checkpoint, it started refreshing, and then gave an error screen that started with "ARM error" or something similar. I tried to bring up the Rosalina menu (probably a stupid thing to try) to screenshot it, and the entire 3DS just turned off. I restarted the system and tried refreshing in Checkpoint again, and it worked fine. Is there something I can do to try to avoid errors when backing up/restoring save files in the future? I'm not going to try to screenshot error messages anymore.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The first time I tried to refresh by holding B in Checkpoint, it started refreshing, and then gave an error screen that started with "ARM error" or something similar.
Well, that's not supposed to happen. Are you using the latest version of Checkpoint?

If you're really worried, the usual cause of unexpected crashes is SD card corruption – in which case the standard procedure is to copy everything off the card (preferably with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back again.

reidling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. That worked. I saw in the "button help" section that B "deselected" games, but I wouldn't have guessed that meant it refreshed the list.

One more question. The first time I tried to refresh by holding B in Checkpoint, it started refreshing, and then gave an error screen that started with "ARM error" or something similar. I tried to bring up the Rosalina menu (probably a stupid thing to try) to screenshot it, and the entire 3DS just turned off. I restarted the system and tried refreshing in Checkpoint again, and it worked fine. Is there something I can do to try to avoid errors when backing up/restoring save files in the future? I'm not going to try to screenshot error messages anymore.
Usually that happens to me if I’ve loaded a cartridge after I started checkpoint

Halfshadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could you please create a Black/White/2 3DS Homebrew to allow to plant berries now that the Dream World is closed? The Dream World allowed to find pokémons with a special ability but I think would be complex try to generate random encounters, but plant the berries would be "easy" considering that isn't random. Could you copy the S/M/US/UM island corner where you simply plant the berries and the following day they are ready and very multiplied without slog.

joeyxjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a Japanese o2DS and installed Luma then gave region changing a try... I would rather put it back to JP and avoid unwanted issues since I'm a Japanese student anyway. What is the easiest way to restore the original region? Thanks in advance.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a Japanese o2DS and installed Luma then gave region changing a try... I would rather put it back to JP and avoid unwanted issues since I'm a Japanese student anyway. What is the easiest way to restore the original region? Thanks in advance.
Do you still have the nand backup from when the still Japanese? Though you can still redo the region change just the same to Jp. Not sure if you'd get the eShop access back or not doing that way (if it matters). But i think it will if you still have the original nand backup..

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

joeyxjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you still have the nand backup from when the still Japanese? Though you can still redo the region change just the same to Jp. Not sure if you'd get the eShop access back or not doing that way (if it matters). But i think it will if you still have the original nand backup..
I do have the original backup, I suppose I'll go that route since it seems most practical. Thanks :D

Reactions: CoolMe

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So my last post raised a few questions more important than the ones I wanted answers to, but if we can never mind that, I still have a quick question: Is it possible to have more than one EmuNAND on the SD card?

[Edit] Would another possibility be to setup one EmuNAND, but keep multiple NAND backups and select one to mount on boot?

Last edited by HelpTheWretched,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...