Homebrew 3ds won't read SD card

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
ok, so I tried to install Persona Q2, but the instalation failed at the last second, then my system crashed, and when I booted it again it didn't show anything from my SD card. I entered Godmode 9 and it still reads things as normal, but neither my 3ds nor my laptop read it. The only way I can read it is on read-only mode on my laptop, but nothing else, and for some reason I can't even copy some of the files. I'm using Sighax, if that matters

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only way I can read it is on read-only mode on my laptop, but nothing else, and for some reason I can't even copy some of the files.
SD cards frequently become read-only when they start to die. You should copy off whatever you can. A tool like Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier may be more useful than Windows Explorer.

Once you've copied everything off the SD card, you can just copy it to a new SD card and everything will be fine. Just make sure the SD card is properly formatted and tested with h2testw before you start using it. You can then try formatting and testing your old SD card, but I wouldn't trust it.

I'm using Sighax, if that matters
Not sure what you mean by that; sighax is more of a vulnerability than something people actually "use". Are you using boot9strap?

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
SD cards frequently become read-only when they start to die. You should copy off whatever you can. A tool like Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier may be more useful than Windows Explorer.

Once you've copied everything off the SD card, you can just copy it to a new SD card and everything will be fine. Just make sure the SD card is properly formatted and tested with h2testw before you start using it. You can then try formatting and testing your old SD card, but I wouldn't trust it.

Not sure what you mean by that; sighax is more of a vulnerability than something people actually "use". Are you using boot9strap?
yeah, I'm using b9s

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Check if your SD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
well, the card worked for about 2 years, so I'm sure it was real, but dying. How do I check that? I can't format the presumably dead card, as it's unreadable unless it's on read-only mode

Last edited by mehmeh11,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, the card worked for about 2 years, so I'm sure it was real, but dying. How do I check that?
The duration of ownership is not a good indicator in determining whether someone's SD card is a counterfeit or is going bad.

You follow steps 1–3 in that order. The results given by H2testw will tell you what error (if any) was found. Here's a recent example someone's authentic 16 GB microSD that has failed.

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
The duration of ownership is not a good indicator in determining whether someone's SD card is a counterfeit or is going bad.

You follow steps 1–3 in that order. The results given by H2testw will tell you what error (if any) was found. Here's a recent example someone's authentic 16 GB microSD that has failed.
Will step 2 be possible with a card that can't be used unless it's on read-only?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will step 2 be possible with a card that can't be used unless it's on read-only?
For standard SD cards, you put the switch in the UNLOCK position like this. If this is a microSD card where it has no switch and it's stuck in Read-Only mode, you can try to revive it with SD Memory Card Formatter seen in quadruple format.

If this is a standard SD card where the switch is already in the UNLOCK position (or microSD card) and that card stays stuck in Read-Only mode even after using SD Memory Card Formatter, that means the card has died, purposely softlocking itself as a means to preserve whatever data that it had for your safe retrieval. You would have to retire that card if it does that.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
For standard SD cards, you put the switch in the UNLOCK position like this. If this is a microSD card where it has no switch and it's stuck in Read-Only mode, you can try to revive it with SD Memory Card Formatter seen in quadruple format.

If this is a standard SD card where the switch is already in the UNLOCK position (or microSD card) and that card stays stuck in Read-Only mode even after using SD Memory Card Formatter, that means the card has died, purposely softlocking itself as a means to preserve whatever data that it had for your safe retrieval. You would have to retire such a card that does that.
It's a micro-sd. In unlocked mode it's not recognized, only in read-only mode. I'm currently copying everything I can and then I'll do the steps just in case

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a micro-sd. In unlocked mode it's not recognized, only in read-only mode. I'm currently copying everything I can and then I'll do the steps just in case
Do you have the bad habit of straight up pulling or disconnecting the SD card without first doing this?
  • Windows File Explorer → right mouse click on letter drive → Eject
  • This can also be done in the bottom-right corner's Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Do you have the bad habit of straight up pulling or disconnecting the SD card without first doing this?
  • Windows File Explorer → right mouse click on letter drive → Eject
  • This can also be done in the bottom-right corner's Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
yeah, though the issue began while the card was inside my 3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, though the issue began while the card was inside my 3ds
Unsafe removal of the SD card where the computer isn't first notified your intention to unplug the card has a small possibility of damaging its file system. Also, there has also been rare instances of unsafe ejection killing the SD card.

The sudden removal tends to mess up a computer's tracking where it registers a card in read-only mode even if the standard-to-micro adapter has the switch set to UNLOCK To reset this mishap, you would have to insert the card to the computer with the switch set to LOCK, safely eject the card, put the switch back to UNLOCK, and reinsert the card to check if the computer finally sees it in Read+Write Mode.

mehmeh11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Unsafe removal of the SD card where the computer isn't first notified your intention to unplug the card has a small possibility of damaging its file system. Also, there has also been rare instances of unsafe ejection killing the SD card.

The sudden removal tends to mess up a computer's tracking where it registers a card in read-only mode even if the standard-to-micro adapter has the switch set to UNLOCK To reset this mishap, you would have to insert the card to the computer with the switch set to LOCK, safely eject the card, put the switch back to UNLOCK, and reinsert the card to check if the computer finally sees it in Read+Write Mode.
Tried it, didn't work. The formatter crashed when I took out the write protection. I think that probably qualifies as dead

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a similar issue recently... games loaded fine on the 3DS from SD card, but would give me I/O errors and stop reading when I tried to copy anything onto it on a PC. Tried various PCs + adapters + programs, no luck with formatting. I was able to copy everything off but it took hours and hours instead of maybe 20 minutes like usual. I feel I had exhausted all options.

It wasn't worth it to me to waste any more time on it, so in the end I just said "screw it" and snipped the card with scissors*.

*don't do this unless you're sure it's no good lol.

Last edited by YOUCANTSTOPME,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp