ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi everyone!
I have a problem with my 3DS, I was playing a DS game on it and pressed the power button to turn it off, but immediately closed the lid and put it in my pocket without waiting for it to power on.

A few hours later I tried powering it on and it never did, the blue LED and wifi switch come on, the screens are a little bit lit up but with nothing on them and just stays that way until I long press the power button...

After a few tries and button presses the return to home menu screen popped up, but after pressing it i just stays in the "returning to home menu" and I have to long press the power button again.

I pressed L+R+A+Up while powering on and the update screen showed up, so I guess the system isn't dead...

That's all I've done so far, I'm gonna try and leave it with the screen on so the battery runs dry and then try charging it and powering it on again, if that doesn't work I'll try to remove the battery and see where that takes me.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, as I have only a week left of warranty, and since I don't live in USA and don't have the receipt, I don't think I can send it in for repair :(

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I had a similar problem.
Was at home in the home menu,put 3DS in sleep mode, took a walk(it was in the winter) and when i came home and wanted to check how much steps i had the OS Menu was frozen.
Turned 3DS off and it didn't want to turn on again,wifi didn't lit cause i didn't turned it on but the screen lit a little, turned the 3DS off and on multiple times but it didn't want to boot.
I had my flashcard in the 3DS XL so i poped it out of the 3DS XL turned it on again and the system booted and now its working fine. Try to take the DS game out of the 3DS XL and then press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds till it boots.

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I already tried removing everything (Even the stylus :lol:), but it still doesn't power as it should :/

I depleted the battery yesterday, removed it this morning for a minute and then put it back and started charging it for a while. And it still does the same thing, screen flashes but nothing comes on and LEDs stay on until I power it down...

I'm really worried at this point, I had my ambassador status transferred from my old 3DS and a lot of bought games from the eShop that I don't want to lose if I manage to send it in for repair...

And I guess the only thing left to do is to try to run the update and see if that fixes it, but I would lose compatibility with my current flashcard and the GW 3DS that I was hoping to buy :wacko:

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news, but the same thing happened to my ambassador 3DS. only blue led upon power up, stuck wireless (but showed wireless activity), black screens and after 3 seconds of power button held, the standby mode gray screen (press home to return) made the 3DS freeze.

All this happened after loading Starfox 64 3DS once, after the 3DS logo, the screens have faded away and the 3DS didn't ever boot again (properly).

After going to Nintendo Repair Center in Chile, replacing the CPU costed $167. One hundred sixty seven dollars. (by just replacing the CPU they told me, because of a cracked motherboard). I had to pay $260 for a brand new 3DS XL. (somewhere, because the prices they had were definitely not cheap)

What you should do, buy a 3DS XL with a broken screen or something, and replace the motherboard. that's what I'll do on the ambassador one.

now, you could try updating, there's a button combo (up d-pad,L,R,A) button upon bootup, luckily a 3DS update can save yours.

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for the feedback, I didn't know prices in Chile were so high, here in Mexico they're only a bit higher than in the US.
I recently visited Brasil and was tempted to sell mine there for almost double what it cost me, and since a 3DS XL with ambassador status are rare, I think I should have :(

But I'll try that shaking the battery thing after it completely charges, and if that doesn't work I guess I can try and update, I guess the motherboard isn't defective since I already tried the update combo and calibration combos, and at least the calibration of both the touch screen and circle pad went smoothly...

If I can save it that way, I guess can live without homebrew and be thankful I got my 3DS working again.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I depleted the battery yesterday, removed it this morning for a minute and then put it back and started charging it for a while. And it still does the same thing, screen flashes but nothing comes on and LEDs stay on until I power it down...

Try removing the battery longer than a minute. Like overnight or a week if that that doesn't work. Not saying it will for sure work, but I've had things like TV's that seemed to be broken, but wound up working again after being unplugged a long time even though a short unplugging didn't work.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I did the update , and the circle pad calibration button combo, etc all those worked fine. ( I was on 4.2.0.0) then updated to 6.1.1.0, still dead motherboard. Nintendo Repair Center said something about a broken CPU. Hell no, it died by just loading starfox.

I hope yours can recover. As a side note, 3DS XL seems to be more fragile than smaller 3DS's.

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He has a week left on his warranty. Meaning he bought it somewhat recently, methinks. When SHOULD he buy his system, if not now? When the 4DS is out?

When they work out these crazy ass little kinks. I have the original and I have the freaking problem with the screen where there are lines on the side because of how it was created where the touch screen wall flattens against the screen causing those lines to appear.

Yeah if you don't buy these systems when they release then they wouldn't have money to make more, but the companies should be finding these quirks themselves and fixing it. Its like buying an unfinished product. It's pathetic.

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I thought that a dead motherboard/cpu would mean it wouldn't even go into the calibration and update modes :/
But I already went through the update and it completed successfully but still wouldn't let me go to the main menu even though I removed the battery all night...

I'm starting to lose hope, I guess it's time to send an email to nintendo :mellow:

ramar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry for bumping my own thread but I wanted to post an update in case someone else goes through the same problems and wants to fix it...

I emailed Nintendo and they answered me after 2 days, saying that it would be better to call them and explain the problem over the phone, but since I'm in México I can't call them for free. I'm gonna try and see if skype works for 1-800 numbers and see where I can go from there.

In the meantime, I guess I'm gonna have to look for DS games that only use the lower screen to play on my broken old DS lite :/
(I accept suggestions)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, If it's so shitty, why don't you clean it up. :tpi: