Hardware 3DS XL quality issues (stuck pixel, circle pad, loose hinge)

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
My gf's daughter had a ds lite that after time the hinge was very loose and ended up cracking....of course it was about 2 months out of warranty. I still called Nintendo and insisted that this was due to a know flaw in the design to which I was told that it only happened to less than 1% of all ds systems therefore I would need to pay to get it repaired. I took instead to writing a letter to the President of NOA, Reggie Fils-Aime describing the problem and the fact that there are tons of cases of this happening all over the internet. Not even 3 hours after I sent the email I received a phone call from a Nintendo customer service rep telling me that Nintendo would repair or replace the system free of charge and include an extended 1 year warranty on the repaired system, they took my address and sent out a box with packing materials and a prepaid shipping label. I sent the DS back and had it returned 4 days later.

I know this may be a rare occasion or unheard of but if I can get an out of warranty device repaired for free then Nintendo should honor a device that's within the warranty period, and it should not be exceptable to have even one dead/stuck pixel on a brand new device that costs $200. It certainly is not acceptable to me.

qweesy777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many people have the bright spot in the top screen lower left corner?????... it doesn't bother me too much (not enough to send it in) but it is annoying... also back clamshell (battery cover) was loose fixed it with a tiny piece of 3m super thin double sided tape so I can get it off and on easily. other than that its been great

Paszq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a 3DS XL with one single dead pixel, I went back to the shop and they gave me a new one. So, just give it a try! I know some people call me crazy because of little details, but I love my gamestuff, so, don't want bad things! I always buy a DS or 3DS NEW, I hate scratches!! :P

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
That's not nice of you, some poor person is going to end up with that unit. The system can be fixed, I can almost guarantee you that the pixel will work again after a week of playing. The hinge is supposed to be that way, and the excess rubber can easily be removed. Try to run a color shifting gif for 30 minuts and press on it with a microfiber cloth a bit before least.

I can vouch for this. My Fire Emblem 3DS that I got on the 3rd of June had a stuck pixel (white) for the first week or so. It's gone now, I just checked after having completely forgotten about it since it was so insignificant. There's a tiny dimple of excess rubber on the circle pad, not nearly as bad as the one shown in the OP's picture, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I was told that there was a trick in removing stuck pixel by playing video with many colors, is that tru?
I tried one of these for about 5 minutes on my own screen, but it didn't seem to help. Lo and behold, though, the sub-pixel has unstuck after just playing normally.

qweesy777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about the freaking BRIGHT spot not a stuck pixel ( on the top screen/ lower left) anyone else having this issue?

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
I also had a Xl with a dust particle under the screen (I made a thread about it here, Nintendo didn't want to replace and insisted that it was a stuck pixel and that I should try to live with it:shit: , I know the difference!! Anyways I took it back to GameStop and had no problem getting it replaced. Just thought I'd share, Sometimes Nintendo can be a pain

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Hinge is quite wobbly on my XL as well. I don't have stuck pixels or extra rubber on the Circle pad though.
The wobbly hinge is really common, and probably is considered 'movement tolerance' or something like that. The stuck pixel and rubber deformity is shoddy manufacturing without question though.

Only the stuck pixel would make me take it back. Its a pet peeve of mine.

PROTOBOY

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am also have my DSi XL, with no issues, my cousins had their DS, DS Lite and 3DS also with no issues, and all are working perfect until now.
I guess is just a matter of bad lucky :blink:.

xxteargodxx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3DS XL and I can say that my hinge does indeed wobble a bit, I have no dead/stuck pixels on my system. However the rubber on my circle pad was not neatly trimmed it's uneven I can tell it is, but not a big deal at least not to me.

Here's a picture.

image.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)