Hacking 4.1.0 - SX OS - Do I update to 5.1?

XpertXP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it states, my Switch is on 4.1.0, I have SX OS. Should I update to 5.1? Should I hold out a little longer for a full untethered CFW?

Thoughts....

Neath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by Neath,

XpertXP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's your choice. As of now, coldboot is not available, but will be available for 4.1 and less. If your above, you have to hard boot with fusee gelee each time - which isn't really an issue for me because you can launch the exploit/payload from your android, see NXLoader

edit: also see: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/
Yes, not an issue for me either, since I have a USB C cable and been using TegraRCMGUI. Just not sure if its worth it to go to 5.1.....i also did the exFAT hack as well. Missing out on playing Octopath....

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's your choice. As of now, coldboot is not available, but will be available for 4.1 and less. If your above, you have to hard boot with fusee gelee each time - which isn't really an issue for me because you can launch the exploit/payload from your android, see NXLoader

edit: also see: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/
The term you are looking for here is warmboot. Some people tend to make this mistake. The exploit you are referring to, Deja Vu, works on 4.1 and less but involves loading a webpage while the console is on hence a warmboot. This is what the exploit looks like in action. Coldboot would be exploits that take place before the console is on. There is a hypothetical coldboot possible up to 3.0.1, but it has not been achieved as of yet.

Reactions: ipkryss

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm holding out for now, I'll see what Tx comes up with next and also ReiNX and Atmos,
the only problem I have (apart from I cant play a few games that are 5.1) is I dont have the exfat driver installed , even thou I have a nand back thats in 2gb parts, If i need to i will not be able to restore it unless i use one of the methods on here.

But I thinking of updatingf it to 5.1 and get the exfat driver and use the method thats more risky but easier to update.

by the way I have a SX PRO.

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated today. But I got A kick-butt dongle that's pretty spiffy. So it's not A big deal anymore. Ur not holding out for A coldboot but A warmboot and that's really not that big of A deal anymore. At the rate they find bugs hopefully they find more. Also mod chips that are 4 wire installs that can't get any easier than that. alot of options. With all the hassle of not burning fuses and whatnot with the gamecard slot not working and all that I didn't even think of bypassing the fuse check for a path back to 4.1.0.

Last edited by link42586,

Arkangelshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The term you are looking for here is warmboot. Some people tend to make this mistake. The exploit you are referring to, Deja Vu, works on 4.1 and less but involves loading a webpage while the console is on hence a warmboot. This is what the exploit looks like in action.https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/964619151913336833Coldboot would be exploits that take place before the console is on. There is a hypothetical coldboot possible up to 3.0.1, but it has not been achieved as of yet.

Will I be able to use SX os via warmboot or coldboot when released?

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
looking at the video Draxzelex has posted, it looks like it might take at least 1min to load from the webpage, SX is pretty much instant , so It looks like i'll update if nothing happens from SX, Atmos or ReiNX in the next week or so.

Reactions: XpertXP1

XpertXP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looking at the video Draxzelex has posted, it looks like it might take at least 1min to load from the webpage, SX is pretty much instant , so It looks like i'll update if nothing happens from SX, Atmos or ReiNX in the next week or so.
Yeah, i think thats where Im at too. Ill give it till the end of the month, have some vacation time coming up and would love to play those higher firmware games on lower stock firmware.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will I be able to use SX os via warmboot or coldboot when released?
Not with the way SX OS is currently designed. To load SX OS, you must send the SX OS Loader which you cannot do with this warmboot exploit. Instead, all exploits would have to be loaded differently (Atmosphere will be taking this into account so be mindful of that).

Anyways, while the warmboot certainly does have its disadvantages, I would argue there are some disadvantages to the current exploit. Most of them are subjective so remember to update based on what you want, not others' opinions. Gathering the appropriate facts and making an informed decision is the best way to go.

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go 5.1 if you got the Pro dongle imo. Super easy for on the go and the jig they provide is great quality. I originally only got the OS, regretted it, ordered Pro from axiogame and it got here in 2 weeks. Worth it!

Arkangelshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Not with the way SX OS is currently designed. To load SX OS, you must send the SX OS Loader which you cannot do with this warmboot exploit. Instead, all exploits would have to be loaded differently (Atmosphere will be taking this into account so be mindful of that).

Anyways, while the warmboot certainly does have its disadvantages, I would argue there are some disadvantages to the current exploit. Most of them are subjective so remember to update based on what you want, not others' opinions. Gathering the appropriate facts and making an informed decision is the best way to go.

Thx. I'm currently on 3.0.2, i havent started skyrim yet, i think i can wait another full year to see how things develop.

For now i think i will just relax and play and continue checking the scene.

benson733

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on 4.1.0 and I would currently recommend waiting for the warm boot Deja Vu. If you want/need 5.1.0 then us the method without burning fuses. The downside is that process is quite extensive.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which I hear is kind of scary......
Not really scary just a pain if you have family members that regularly play on OFW non hacked like i do. It requires you to always launch a payload if you power it off and back on. Sleep mode seems to be the fix. Also theres battery issues if you dont shut it down properly

XpertXP1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 4.1.0 and I would currently recommend waiting for the warm boot Deja Vu. If you want/need 5.1.0 then us the method without burning fuses. The downside is that process is quite extensive.
I don't follow the scene too much, has their been any progress on Deja Vu or at least a release date?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, If it's so shitty, why don't you clean it up. :tpi: