Hardware 4K Output Option

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Shame I can't officially stream my PC games to the Switch. Y'know, seeing as its the same hardware and all.

Wondering if we'll get Moonlight.
That would be awesome. Seeing as it's using NVidia hardware, I'm kind of hopeful that they'll release an official app for it. They could charge a few dollars for it and it would still sell, plus it would sell more consoles too so both NVidia and Nintendo would profit from it, it's a win-win.
Though in NVidia's case it might mean they sell less of their own devices.
So can someone tell me why the games on the system are up to 720P until you put it in dock is 900P and upscaled to 1080P? Cause this i never understand. I get the 720P is probably cause the screen size on the system but how it can get up to 900P (Something that isn't common in USA.... or least to me) if it can go that high, why not higher to 1080P?

The game resolution is different than the output system resolution right? So games are only 720P-900P or something, but the dock upscale to 1080P? I'm so confused. :unsure:
Depends on the game, some run at 1080p, some use dynamic resolution scaling to keep a high framerate. Lowering the resolution a little bit helps keep the FPS at 60 (or in some cases 30) without affecting the graphics quality much.

Reactions: Kioku

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
So can someone tell me why the games on the system are up to 720P until you put it in dock is 900P and upscaled to 1080P? Cause this i never understand. I get the 720P is probably cause the screen size on the system but how it can get up to 900P (Something that isn't common in USA.... or least to me) if it can go that high, why not higher to 1080P?

The game resolution is different than the output system resolution right? So games are only 720P-900P or something, but the dock upscale to 1080P? I'm so confused. :unsure:
The games are 1080p docked. Don't set BoTW's limitations as limitations of the entire system.

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget, even the PS2 could output at 1080i with the right setup. There's no doubt that the Switch hardware has the capability to output a 4K picture, but as of now there's no scenario in which it would be feasible while also maintaining a playable framerate on anything.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is of course the question of whether the MyDP to HDMI adapter inside the dock can output that resolution though. It would need to be a sufficiently new HDMI standard that supports the high bandwidth needed to transmit 4K. They wouldn't enable the use of 4K if it meant everyone who wanted to use it had to get a new dock.
You only need the higher bandwidth HDMI 2 18Gbps for 4k@60fps YCbCr 4:4:4 or Full RGB.

Also I think people are mistaking native 4k gaming with 4k video output.

My samsung note 4 cellphone can output 4k video lol.

I'm sure once they install a media player in the switch they will enable 4k video playback.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo had the option to output 4K video, or up to 1080p60 for games. They went with 1080p60. Makes sense given the focus as a gaming console, it didn't even launch with any kind of media app.

Reactions: Kioku

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
X1 is quite capable of 4k video output... Don't expect games at 4k though. Movies, no problem.. They just need to enable it.

Source: http://international.download.nvidia.com/pdf/tegra/Tegra-X1-whitepaper-v1.0.pdf

High Performance End-to-End 4K 60 fps Pipeline
4K displays and televisions are becoming mainstream thanks to the rapidly dropping prices of 4K panels and the increasing availability of 4K content. To meet this rising use of 4K panels and content, NVIDIA Tegra X1 is architected with a high performance, end-to-end 4K 60 fps pipeline that delivers a premium 4K experience for use cases such as YouTube® videos, Netflix® streaming, Google Hangouts, 4K Gamestreaming, and 4K Chromecast. The I/O interfaces and processing cores of Tegra X1 including its high speed storage controller, memory controllers, image signal processor, video decoder, 4K compositor, graphics processor, and display controllers are all optimized to deliver 4K at sixty frames per second (60fps). Tegra X1 supports 4K H.265 (HEVC) and VP9 video streams at 60 fps. Other processors support 4K at 30 fps, and deliver sub optimal experiences while viewing fast action sports, movies, and video games. Tegra X1 also supports decode of 10-bit color-depth 4K H.265 60 fps video streams. This enables Tegra X1 products to stream a wide selection 4K content from services such as Netflix. Tegra X1 supports 4K 60 fps local and external displays with support for HDMI 2.0 interfaces and HDCP 2.2 copy protection. On the encode side, Tegra X1 supports encode of 4K video at 30 fps in H.264, H.265 and VP8 formats.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    V @ VXNlcm5hbWU: FLOPPA FRIDAY!!!