8BitDo announces Pro 2 controller; available to pre-order

8bitdo pro 2.jpg

Gaming peripheral manufacturer 8BitDo has announced a new product in its controller catalogue: the 8BitDo Pro 2. Compatible with the Nintendo Switch, Windows PC, macOS, Android and Raspberry Pi, this new controller can store 3 custom profiles on-board which can be changed on-the-fly with a dedicated button. There is also a new 4-way Mode Switch button that lets you instantly switch between multiple platforms. There are also two customizable back buttons and a companion app, the Ultimate Software, available on Windows, Android and iOS to make the most out of this device.

2.jpg 1.jpg

The 8BitDo Pro 2 is available in 3 different colors and is up for pre order on Amazon for $49.99 where more details are also available.

:arrow: SOURCE

samcambolt270

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coming from a switch pro to 8bitdo controllers, diagonals are significantly harder to press on the 8bitdos than on nintendos controller. Ive used an sf30pro and sn30pro+ and that was true of both. Theyre much much better for dpad games that need precision imo. The number of times i died in celeste due to what you described because of the switch pro dpad was way too many.
This is what I meant by "conflicting reports." I've personally experienced excessively sensitive diagonals myself and actually disassembled mine to apply "hole reinforcers" to the pcb just to fix it, and see alot of people mention in it reviews, but then there are other people who seem to get perfectly fine dpads. It makes me wonder if theres different versions with slightly different pcbs or perhaps some slightly different dpads?

Last edited by samcambolt270,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Daniel72

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
And I thought the 3DS's naming scheme was confusing...

Side note, isn't it supposed to be called SN30 Pro "+" 2, since it's a successor to the grip model?

Last edited by Daniel72,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The Pro+ was the same thing, just sans the custom triggers.
This and one more thing: on Pro+ you needed to do a button combo when turning on the controller to chose switch mode / d-input / x-input. On this version, there is a button and light indicators for that.

Edit: oh, and they changed the X and Y buttons from concave to convex, witch made me sad

Last edited by Deleted member 194275,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, those are the wireless controllers for the minis. I've never had a problem through retroarch with any of them. I have retroarch installed on all four systems. no lose of sync or intermittence. I do recommend them if they're coming out with cheaper than pro switch controllers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the nes mini one even has a reset button on the controller. I have return to home set up with the reset button on the console as well. the only problematic one was the genesis mini. those settings in retroarch are fucked up by default.

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like and own several 8bitdo controllers but have had enough of the half-measure updates. It's like they're becoming the Apple of the controller market: SNES30, SN30 Pro, SN30 Pro+, Pro 2...

I'll sit this one out and wait for an actual new controller (Dreamcast!) -- or the long-awaited PS1/2 classic adapter!

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I sure hope this doesn't end up having sticky-B-Button issues, like the Pro+ did.
Not sure how 8bitdo managed to fuck that up, considering my SF30 Pro is still working perfectly fine after a few years of use.

Oh, and "pre-order"? What's the actual release date?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I meant by "conflicting reports." I've personally experienced excessively sensitive diagonals myself and actually disassembled mine to apply "hole reinforcers" to the pcb just to fix it, and see alot of people mention in it reviews, but then there are other people who seem to get perfectly fine dpads. It makes me wonder if theres different versions with slightly different pcbs or perhaps some slightly different dpads?

The build quality seems questionable. My SN30 pro d-pad has started to physically sink in the down-right diagonal only and gives bad inputs there sometimes, the other directions are fine for now.

MVG had the d-pad of an M30 literally fall apart on him. Bob Wulff was just talking about how all his buttons on the SN 30 pro+ are sticky/rickety after two years of heavy use (and yet he's lining up to buy this.) It sounds analogous to Joycon drift really.

And the Switch Pro controller is no barometer for d-pads, its literally bottom of the barrel. You buy an 8bitdo product expecting a good d-pad in a prime position, that's most of the point, so if it fails there then it's mostly a fail.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You buy an 8bitdo product expecting a good d-pad in a prime position, that's most of the point, so if it fails there then it's mostly a fail.
Well, personally I bought an SF30 Pro and later on a SN30 Pro+ because of the aligned analog sticks (I previously used a Wii U Pro Controller, via Magic-NS), since neither the JoyCons nor the Switch Pro have aligned sticks for some inane reason.
A good d-pad is just a bonus to me, really.

korbinian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
after trying numerous stuff from ebay and amazon i've ended up with 8bitdo controllers, more specifically a pair of the SN30pro and one SN30. assuming their new iteration is built to the same quality level i'll gladly pay their price.

i do read - here in this thread and elsewhere - that some people have some issues tho, maybe there has been faulty batches? idk. my 3 devices, all bought randomly spaced apart, do work fine.

can recommend 8bitdo very much, albeit it would be even cooler if you could swap the damn batteries.

Last edited by korbinian,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
April 12 according to Amazon.

Now, where's the release date for this!?

DlUeGHIUwAAkwcY.jpg

Dual analog Sega Saturn controllers by Retro-Bit!?

The build quality seems questionable. My SN30 pro d-pad has started to physically sink in the down-right diagonal only and gives bad inputs there sometimes, the other directions are fine for now.

MVG had the d-pad of an M30 literally fall apart on him. Bob Wulff was just talking about how all his buttons on the SN 30 pro+ are sticky/rickety after two years of heavy use (and yet he's lining up to buy this.) It sounds analogous to Joycon drift really.

And the Switch Pro controller is no barometer for d-pads, its literally bottom of the barrel. You buy an 8bitdo product expecting a good d-pad in a prime position, that's most of the point, so if it fails there then it's mostly a fail.

Yeah, the Golden standard for d-pads should either be the Saturn d-pad or, based on what I've been told about it, the PS Vita pad!

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope the controller has more weight, and the sticks have more resistance. Returned my Pro+ after a few days because it just felt cheap, and I normally love 8bitdo stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/WwFuB1GRKz4