Apple a couple clarifying questions

Dr. Hobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a gen 4 ipod touch and I'm very happy with it, but with a hacking scene as old as ios jailbeaking, you can find a lot of old and conflicting information at times. So I was hoping I could get a few quick questions answered.

when a new update rolls around, I just need to avoid connecting my ipod to itunes right? the updates aren't installed over wifi?
a tethered hack is one that only works as long as the device is plugged in and the hack application is running on the computer?
there's no way to install in-app purchases for free? other than that russian guy's thing that doesn't work anymore?
if I install an app through The App Which Must Not Be Named, say settlers of catan, would I still be able to buy the in-app extras without raising any red flags?

sorry if these are all stupid questions, but it's hard trudging through"beginner's guide to ios hacking" when they're like 3 years old and wondering what's still true and what's changed

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are fine connecting it to itunes, you have to conciously tell it to download the update, cause they are quite hefty.

Tethering hack? do you mean using your ipod as a wifi hotspot? or you mean tethering to your computer to get a tethered jailbreak?

Inapp and other things are frowned upon around here. Ill tell you you can, but i wont tell you how.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

Dr. Hobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh sorry I should have been more specific. yes I meant a tethered jailbreak. from what I understand those are usually the first step for jailbreaking a new ios version but you have to stay plugged into the computer? then eventually down the line an untethered jailbreak comes out that lets you have it hacked wethere it's plugged in or not?

and yeah I know gbatemp walks the thin gray line of piracy and "backups" so I wasn't expecting a straight up answer. but are you referring to the hack by that russian guy ZonD80 because from what I understand that doesn't work anymore. and if there isn't any other way, am I able to download in app stuff legally from an app installed illegally (for example if I installed settlers of catan with The App Which Must Not Be Named but then wanted to buy the expansions through the game)

thanks for the quick response

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are fine. For someone with a reletivly low post count, you seem to be pretty good at meeting me half way, using all the keys on your keyboard, and have a general semblence of whats going on. I like you.

ok you are almost correct.
A tethered jailbreak is like a normal jailbreak. The difference is you cant reset (reboot) or power off and back on you ipod without a computer to boot your device. You CAN respring, but thats it. The computer must execute the code to tether the jailbreak because the ipod cant (yet). An untethered can be used like a normal device (on/off, reboots, resprings). Theres a good chance there is an untethered jb for your ipod 4.

Yeah i cant really give you a real answer.
The russian one wasnt the first. Some repos have DLC and ingame stuff.

Try this thread.

Reactions: 1 person

Dr. Hobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I mostly lurk here, but it's crazy how far a little common sense and proper spelling can take a guy

and thanks for the explanation. I thought a tethered jailbreak was maybe similar to the chickHen hack for the psp where it was hacked until you reset it. then it would be a vanilla device until you hacked it again (I think that's how it works anyway, I don't use it so I don't care). having to use a computer to boot the device seems like more trouble than it's worth so I'd rather wait for an untethered jb than be THE FIRST GUY to have the shiniest firmware with a tethered jb. and yeah I already jailbroke my ipod but with ios 6 coming soon I wanted to know what to expect with a new firmware.

and so what I'm gathering about in-app stuff is it's more trouble than it's worth. so I guess my last question is is it safe to make in-app purchases from an app installed with The App Which Must Not Be Named or does that start raising red flags on apple's side? like do they notice I'm making purchases in an app I haven't purchased? I know the answer to these sort of things with like wii, ds and psp hacking is usually a resounding "no stop being a paranoid nutcase" but hey, better safe than sorry

Izen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should save your SHSH blobs using TinyUmbrella or iFaith.

As all current iPod Touch devices (including 4th gen) are liable to the limera1n exploit, so SHSH blobs can be used to restore their firmware to any iOS 5 release for which the blobs are saved. Apple is still signing certificates for 5.1.1 (obviously, since iOS 6 isn't public yet), so you should get them while you can, that way, even if you update or have to restore to iOS 6 and no untethered jailbreak becomes available, you will be able to downgrade back down to 5.1.1.

We're not supposed to talk about in-app purchase spoofing or anything of the sort around here. You should have read the stickies. It's really not hard, but we won't tell you how to do it.

Dr. Hobo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh whoops I missed that sticky. It doesn't say anything about mentioning in app spoofing being verboten, but it does forbid saying The App Which Must Not Be Named. Sorry bout that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hunter x hunter
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    he has not allowed anyone to continue it for him for example
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, theres a dragon ball af mod for budokai 3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    updated ship of harkinian, gonna install some hd texture pack
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might download rayman revolution for my ps3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I may try the new ram site, and download more RAM to my Switch. Not sure if ddr3 is the right ram
    for it tho. Edit- no it uses floppy Ram, just like @AncientBoi
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    aeiou
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And sometimes Z
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
    NinStar @ NinStar: people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious