Mudb0y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi,
I'm a screenreader user who recently registered on this forum. There's some feedback I have regarding accessibility, most of the site is navigable but somewhat inconvenient so I will list some things that might be of the interest of the admins so that you can make the site better for blind users if you wish.
The first thing that immediately stands out to me is that the top navigation bar has lots of spots that are labelled blank (as in blank line) by the NVDA screenreader. This can be fixed when navigating by link only but with the arrow keys this is quite annoying.
Speaking of blanks, it looks as though some Aria settings are broken, because similarly I hear blank when pressing the tab key instead of hearing links like you'd normally expect.
I'm not sure if this is potentially changeable but when scrolling through threads I have to go through a lot of stuff I don't particularly care about to get to the next topic, E.G original poster, post date, how many replies, ETC before I see the next title. This could be fixed by making the topic titles headings, then I could simply press H to navigate straight to the next topic, but I'm not sure how that'd look to a sighted person.
When I click on my profile menu, there is 2 tabs at the top but they're unlabelled.
In the customize portal panel, you can't accessibly drag-and-drop, this is potentially fixable with Discord's accessible drag-and-drop library.
Anyway, I don't want to throw a ton of issues at you straight away so I'll leave it here for now, if you're interested in hearing more let me know and I'll make sure to report anything else I notice that might be worth looking over.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi,
I'm a screenreader user who recently registered on this forum. There's some feedback I have regarding accessibility, most of the site is navigable but somewhat inconvenient so I will list some things that might be of the interest of the admins so that you can make the site better for blind users if you wish.
The first thing that immediately stands out to me is that the top navigation bar has lots of spots that are labelled blank (as in blank line) by the NVDA screenreader. This can be fixed when navigating by link only but with the arrow keys this is quite annoying.
Speaking of blanks, it looks as though some Aria settings are broken, because similarly I hear blank when pressing the tab key instead of hearing links like you'd normally expect.
I'm not sure if this is potentially changeable but when scrolling through threads I have to go through a lot of stuff I don't particularly care about to get to the next topic, E.G original poster, post date, how many replies, ETC before I see the next title. This could be fixed by making the topic titles headings, then I could simply press H to navigate straight to the next topic, but I'm not sure how that'd look to a sighted person.
When I click on my profile menu, there is 2 tabs at the top but they're unlabelled.
In the customize portal panel, you can't accessibly drag-and-drop, this is potentially fixable with Discord's accessible drag-and-drop library.
Anyway, I don't want to throw a ton of issues at you straight away so I'll leave it here for now, if you're interested in hearing more let me know and I'll make sure to report anything else I notice that might be worth looking over.
Not a mod. But please do post all the issues you'd like to see fixed for users like you. Admins can't guess what other issues you're encountering, so please, do provide more details about said issues.

Reactions: Scarlet

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your feedback!

Unfortunately it is not as simple as it should seem to make these kind of changes as we use an off the shelf software solution for these forums (Xenforo) and our resident technician is on extended hiatus. The issues you've raised may apply to the core Xenforo platform. However I'll try and find some time to investigate some of your critiques but can't promise anything.

Mudb0y

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thank you for your feedback!

Unfortunately it is not as simple as it should seem to make these kind of changes as we use an off the shelf software solution for these forums (Xenforo) and our resident technician is on extended hiatus. The issues you've raised may apply to the core Xenforo platform. However I'll try and find some time to investigate some of your critiques but can't promise anything.
Don't worry about it too much, the most important functions are accessible and that's really all that matters. The things I pointed out would be nice to have fixed but it's definitely not a priority. I've been having a good time in the community thus far so thank you for your hard work!

Reactions: shaunj66

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto