A somewhat amusing (and hypocritical) new GameStop practice I observed...

Muffins

Banned
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was out and about the other day, having a spare twenty with which to buy a various and sundry game. I decided to myself, "Resident Evil Revelations 2 for the PS3 is what I shall select", so I sauntered into my local GameStop to make my purchase. After about ten minutes of shuffling, the somewhat clueless teller finally located the item, much to his relief. And of course, this was GameStop's idea of a "new" copy of the game- which of course had a big, nigh-impervious gamestop price sticker on it, no shrink wrap, and the disc had been kept in one of those dust-collecting paper holders.
"Don't you have a sealed copy?", I asked.
"Sorry, this is the last one we've got," the man replies, taking the game from the paper sleeve and putting it into the case.
And all of a sudden a woman who I assume is his supervisor plucked the item from the cashier's hands and stuffed it into a little bag with a sealing sticker going across the top.
"We have to do this now," she told my as my eyebrow raised. "It's new."
"But if I don't want to buy it in that little bag?"
"Oh, then you couldn't return it," she replied.

So it's perfectly all right for GameStop to rip a game out of it's case, stuff it in a paper sack, put a fingerprint on the disk and deface it with a sticker, but woe be to anyone who might buy a "new" GameStop game in that same condition and attempt to return it.

I was bemused, to say the least.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I stopped buying "new" games in these shady stores years and years ago! I can't even remember the last time. I'm surprised some people still attempt that, nowadays.:wtf:

Megaben99

I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the whole process is very strange to me too. I had a couple never opened 360 titles that I was going to trade in and they said they do not buy 'used' games that have never been opened.

djnate27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think I'm done with GameStop. Unless it's a new release they've already opened the case. If I'm paying full price, give me the privelege of breaking through that thick tape keeping it sealed. Plus I'm sure it probably had a manual or some kind of paper inside before they opened it.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard of this before, GS selling obviously used games as "new" and trying to really push people into buying used copies for full price. Shit's pretty slimy and I don't shop there anymore. It's never happened to me but I also haven't shopped at a GS for around 5 years. Mostly online shopping for me plus I mostly but games from the PS2 era and older. The pushiness you described is what I find most objectionable, probably because they knew that you knew it was used and they're likely instructed to act that way when/if they're called out on their bullshit.

Reactions: Muffins

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol