Abusing WalMart return policy

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I know walmart has this very lenient return policy. I don't care that it's dishonest. OK, well, maybe I do, but I don't like either of the companies so I don't feel bad about it. So don't lecture me on that. This is a piracy forum anyway, you're stealing games.

Well my xbox broke down on me, and instead of waiting for a m$ refurb, I was thinking I could just return it to walmart, claiming that I got it as a gift, but I don't have the receipt anymore, and that it doesn't work for some reason.

Would that work? Walmart gives store credit on unused store merchandise w/o reciept, and full refund on defective merchandise, but what about no receipt? I'm guessing not, but worth a try right?

Otherwise I'm thinking of buying an arcade, swapping the broken system, and returning it for store credit (we shop at walmart like weekly anyway). Which is what my friend did... twice.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
Now I know walmart has this very lenient return policy. I don't care that it's dishonest. OK, well, maybe I do, but I don't like either of the companies so I don't feel bad about it. So don't lecture me on that. This is a piracy forum anyway, you're stealing games.

Well my xbox broke down on me, and instead of waiting for a m$ refurb, I was thinking I could just return it to walmart, claiming that I got it as a gift, but I don't have the receipt anymore, and that it doesn't work for some reason.

Would that work? Walmart gives store credit on unused store merchandise w/o reciept, and full refund on defective merchandise, but what about no receipt? I'm guessing not, but worth a try right?

Otherwise I'm thinking of buying an arcade, swapping the broken system, and returning it for store credit (we shop at walmart like weekly anyway). Which is what my friend did... twice.

I dont agree with what you would be doing, however thats not what you asked, so... Im sure on returning a console like that they are supposed to check the serial number of the console you are returning. Chances are they wont have someone working there that will know how or bother to look, but if they do look and you are pulling a scam, expect them to not be very helpful
tongue.gif

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd go for the second choice. If you try once and then you go again and the guys recognize you it'll be like: oh hai haven't I seen you before trying to fool us?

Good luck, it kinda works in big malls here too (El Corte Inglés for example).

@ Emperor: it works here. They don't give a damn anyways.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its not a scam, because they would be returning it to M$ anyway, so either way no one is out of a damn thing. A scam would be return the item with out the 360 in it and get two of them.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think you get money back without receipt no matter what the reason for return is.

I'd go for the second option too. The chances are they won't ask why you're returning it.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
I don't think you get money back without receipt no matter what the reason for return is.

I'd go for the second option too. The chances are they won't ask why you're returning it.

You get cash back with a receipt. Otherwise they give you a gift card with the total amount.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm failing to see the moral dilemma here. Unless the 360 didn't come from Wal-Mart to begin with, there really isn't anything wrong with what you are doing.

The only hitch I can see is that Wal-Mart might have a policy when it comes to 360s. They might not accept returns since so many of them are breaking and they might just suggest that you send it to Microsoft.

Honestly, nothing bad will happen if you try, the worst thing that could happen would be for them to say "no."

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PizzaPasta said:
I'm failing to see the moral dilemma here. Unless the 360 didn't come from Wal-Mart to begin with, there really isn't anything wrong with what you are doing.
It didn't. I got it from newegg lol

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
PizzaPasta said:
It didn't. I got it from newegg lol

Haha! Even better!

I still say go for it. They won't have a clue and chances are unless they have some kind of 360 policy they won't argue with you. Especially if you start to get testy.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how each and every store handles stuff, but if you're at one that doesn't scan the barcode on the device itself for registration purposes like they do aggravatingly at Gamestop you have an easier option. If you're careful with your stuff and it looks like brand new, go and buy a new one. Head home wait an hour, take it back with the busted one, and then just ask for your money back and leave.

In my poorer days when I couldn't afford to replace something when I was on the ugliest of budgets my DS Lite choked and I did that at a Meijer, and another time with a $1200 camera at Circuit City I have no hope of replacing without a yearly tax check. I didn't like doing it, but in one case it was ease, the pricier one was out of necessity as it was business use.
frown.gif

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what if you bought a broken on online and you returned it to Wal-mart? On eBay there's a lot of broken 360's so what if you buy one and then return it in wal-mat. you think you can do that?

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Linkiboy said:
Looks like I'm not the only smart one...

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_...pic_id=25460786
Ya!

QUOTEOne time one of my buddies pulled the switch a roo at walmart because his original xbox broke. He bought a new xbox with cash and swapped box on the old xbox and brought both back to the store (one with the serial code [old one] and one with the reseat but with the wrong serial code). Was it right to do? I don't know. But, was it right for microsoft to make him an xbox that would fail? Don't know that one either.

Hey you can do that with your 360 and I'm 99% it'd work! But I don't think its just OK to rip off someone.. just send it to MS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto