After ModMii installs, what .....

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most definitely, I do want to back up the nand. Who wouldn't want that extra protection :)
Just wish it was more clear that this could be done. Everywhere I've looked, it just seems to show the procedure for nand as boot2. Do you know of good tutorial that covers all of the aspects of doing this ?
When you first power on the system it should boot directly to BootMii, unless you've set it to go to straight to hbc or usbloadergx. In that case, you can launch it from the hbc. Once inside BootMii configurator, the option to make a nand backup is literally the 2nd option to the right (iirc), you just run it and let it do its thing.
Note that you should have the BootMii files on the sd card in order to boot it.
I got to assume that you're at the very beginning of the modmii installation ?

Thank you for highlighting this :)
===============================================================

I don't want to ask juanbanana anything anymore, so I'm asking you (CoolMe).
The remark about "You can't REmod once your wii has been modded" ....
If that's true, then how could I (RE)mod it in the 1st place ?
The wii I got was already modded. Remember ?, you read that syschek report & stated it was out-off-whack in several places. And even jbanana stated that this wii was hacked/modded back in 2009-2010 (from the last syscheck report).

Thanks for your patience, CoolMe. My posts aren't difficult to understand, but my ambitions obviously are. As I've stated, I will do all what's been suggested, but in time. I was never in a rush & I made all that clear. Whoever reads & how it's interpreted, is not my fault. I do try to be clear with my questions/responses of concern. Occasional typo will happen :(

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just wish it was more clear that this could be done. Everywhere I've looked, it just seems to show the procedure for nand as boot2. Do you know of good tutorial that covers all of the aspects of doing this ?
Hello,

what does bootmii do (some reading) ==>https://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii

and ==> https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Talk:BootMii

morning_glory said:

@XFlak , gave you the answer on the first page

Last edited by jeannotte,
Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know of good tutorial that covers all of the aspects of doing this ?
I gave you the link on my previous post, just read through it to get an understanding.
I got to assume that you're at the very beginning of the modmii installation ?
I am?
You could mod and remod your system as much as you want, it's just that it won't do you any good, because all it will do is mod the system, and you already have one (a modded system).
The softmods on the other hand are still part of the modding process, but easyier & faster to do and correct. And that's what i recommended, to just install the necessary cIOSs that i talked about earlier, and with that your system is done regarding softmods.
you read that syschek report & stated it was out-off-whack in several places.
That's not what i said. All your system needed is the correct cIOSs, and a nand backup (optional but recommended).

Reactions: jeannotte

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
what does bootmii do (some reading) ==>https://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii

and ==> https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Talk:BootMii

morning_glory said:

@XFlak , gave you the answer on the first page
Thanks, but I'm giving up on reading the same over & over again.
Quoting quotes that aren't making sense (to me) in the first place = Not helpful.
I have asked many questions here. I have read myself to more confusion.
As with most people, I have to place all gathered info into perspective, but only after the 3rd binary state is accounted for.
Perhaps XFlack did answer, but I remember it being something on the lines of "User error", & after the edit, I can't remember what it was.
That's not what i said. All your system needed is the correct cIOSs, and a nand backup (optional but recommended).
My apologies if it wasn't your statement. It was somebodies.
You could mod and remod your system as much as you want, it's just that it won't do you any good, because all it will do is mod the system, and you already have one (a modded system).
The softmods on the other hand are still part of the modding process, but easyier & faster to do and correct. And that's what i recommended, to just install the necessary cIOSs that i talked about earlier, and with that your system is done regarding softmods.
I have learned that. But, after having different outcomes with many modmii attempts, just prompted me to more questions.
So, modmii did it's job with the re-mod, but how could it re-mod after my wii was already modded ? Lemme guess .... t'was an upgrade/update ?
The missing HBC progs were due to me using large to larger SD cards, with & without partitions ?

BTW - I did backup my nand. I had issues there also. Bootmii launcher wasn't visible in HBC, but it did show-up randomly. Hard to explain, but I would again blame the certain SD card sizes. So far, the Sandisk 32gb sdhc is the most reliable. Bootmii has a different access point (not HBC). After trying to use 5 different SD cards, I believe the answers started.
Please, understand that I was always aware of all the advise given here. You guys have lived & breathed this for a long time. I haven't. Explaining your advice in a slightly greater detail would really solidify understanding.
Eg : Backing up nand/s. So much is addressed abound nand backups with boot2, but when the nand with ios ? There it falls darn short. It sounds like that those later wii nands aren't able to be backed up. I could not find any references on how to backup a wii nand (as ios). Just as boot2 (earlier wiis). I re-read the quoted urls that I was instructed to read.
Same goes with trying to remod. It would have been so much simpler to state it as is.

Now the new question/s :
I did the syscheck drag into modmii. Modmii reported 14 items that needed addressing. Modmii did it's thing, but at the end (inc. tutorial) there was only 13 items, & they're all wads. Wad format I can understand, but 13 items instead of 14 ?
Changing the old wad folder name was done automatically. Now there's wad2 folder. I did compare the new & old wad folders. What's not clear is what do I do with old wad folder (wad2) ? Do I delete it ? Do I merge wads together ?
Do I simply copy the new wad folder to already hacked SD card ?
Then there's the current modmii tutorial referral to using yawmm to activate the new wads. Will I also encounter old/er wads when using yawmm ? I'm assume other (c)iso's will be present in wii's internal memory (?).

Sorry folks, have to fly ATM. Life beckons. Preparing for upcoming flooding.

I needed a little break, as the wii mod was doing my head in. Apologies for not responding sooner.
Regards & thanks :)

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
14 downloads does not mean 14 wads. In fact one of the downloads was probably yawmm, to assist u with installing the other 13 wads.

Modmii can't tell u what to do with your old wads. Were they from another guide? Are they forwarder channels? Are they pirated content? In terms of wads required for a softmod, u won't need any wads after completing the softmod process and u can safely delete them (modmii has a file cleanup feature to assist with this, but I don't think it will ask u to delete a wads2 folder).

When u resoftmod it will overwrite all/most previous mods.

Making nand backups is the same if bootmii is installed as IOS or boot2 (or if launching bootmii without installing it at all, which is possible too using Casper2Bootmii.bat from Modmii's support folder, but no need to worry about that, it will confuse u further). Restoring nand backups without bootmii boot2 requires a gamecube controller, otherwise the process with or without bootmii installed to boot2 is the same.

Last edited by XFlak,

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you XFlack. You verified my assumptions.

14 downloads does not mean 14 wads. In fact one of the downloads was probably yawmm, to assist u with installing the other 13 wads.
Yawmm was already installed, previously.

Restoring nand backups without bootmii boot2 requires a gamecube controller, otherwise the process with or without bootmii installed to boot2 is the same.
Thank heavens I got one (GC controller), but it's not an original & I doubt that would matter.

On the other hand, does the original nand or the nand backup ever get changed/altered by any hacks/mods processes ?

I think I should have started with bootmii, backed-up my nand, re-virginised my wii & then used your modmii.
Please don't think I'm blaming your masterpiece (modmii) in any way. Never my intention.
Why do think I went for the hardmod chip back in 2010 ? You folks were pulling your hair out back then. Now that those things have settled & newer/better ways have emerged, I'm willing to give it a go.

Modmii can't tell u what to do with your old wads. Were they from another guide? Are they forwarder channels? Are they pirated content?
Not from another guide, but all were from another mod. That's how I purchased it.
From my 1st syscheck report, I was told they were mostly forwarders. As for pirated content ... I wasn't advised.
==============================================================
Apologies if I don't respond fast. We're bracing for floods & that takes some preparation work.
I'm here (GBA) till I die or go insane, or drive you folks insane with my questions.
So much to read, know & understand. Clarity is what I mostly seek.
The many statements of modmii being idiot proof is most likely correct, But I'm not your average idiot :(

Thank you & regards.

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Done with Noah's ark preparations. Now sit & wait.

Done the SU with modmii & used yawmm.
All good with playing GC games from SD card using Nintendont.
Had problems with wii games on 3 USB sticks. Worked with 256gb evo+ sdxc (fat32 :( ).
CoolMe suggested Samsung SD's - Thanks :)

Many wii games black-screen when exiting. Need to power-off & restart.
Some HDDs & HT-LG drd-roms to test.

Problem :
I seem to have 2 different versions of HBC installed.
From wii channel to HBC = All the progs are there (singular).
Start a game with USBL-GX or Nintendont, & when it returns back to HBC, I get a different looking HBC screen. This has a HBC header on top center of screen. From wii menu to HBC, didn't. Plus, with the HBC header one, I have 4x yawmm, 3x WFL, 2x USBLGX & a few others. So, every time I power-up, all's good, but activate a loader & I get a different looking HBC with many repeating apps.

I want to use AnyTitle Deleter Mod, but how would I know which to remove/delete ?
Should I back-up my nand, again ?
This wii really needs cleaning-up. So much crap left-over from previous mod/s, which I didn't do.

I now have a WAD2 folder, what do I do with it ? Will I need it ? Will the wii need it ?
This folder has 3-4 times more entries, than what the new WAD folder. The latest syscheck below shows more entries than yawmm updated (?).

My last syscheck (after modmii SU & yawmm) :
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 144844385
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 133 titles.
Found 49 IOS on this console. 7 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[38] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 11/15/2022.

Getting there, slowly :)
Thanks & regards.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem :
I seem to have 2 different versions of HBC installed.
& when it returns back to HBC, I get a different looking HBC screen. This has a HBC header on top center of screen. From wii menu to HBC, didn't. Plus, with the HBC header one, I have 4x yawmm, 3x WFL, 2x USBLGX & a few others. So, every time I power-up, all's good, but activate a loader & I get a different looking HBC with many repeating apps.
Keep just the latest hbc, latest usbloadergx, latest Wiiflow Lite and some-yawmm-mod, delete any duplicates and old versions as you will not need them.
I want to use AnyTitle Deleter Mod, but how would I know which to remove/delete ?
You mean some homebrew app to delete installed wad channels? If so that would be some-yawmm-mod, use it to install and delete wad channels/ vc games..
Should I back-up my nand, again ?
If you want to, do it once you set up everything so it'd have the same exact stuff (as it is now)..
I now have a WAD2 folder, what do I do with it ? Will I need it ? Will the wii need it ?
No the wii will not need it, and if you have wad channels & vc/wiiware games stored in there, it's up to you if you want to delete them (after you've installed them on the wii)..
My last syscheck (after modmii SU & yawmm) :
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 12.18.2008
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 144844385
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 133 titles.
Found 49 IOS on this console. 7 of them are stubs.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80[60] (rev 65535, Info: ModMii-IOS60-v6174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[38] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 11/15/2022.
Syscheck is correct.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
If u want to remove a channel and don't have the wad to uninstall, u can just remove it from the Wii settings under data management. Sure it won't FULLY remove it like you would if u uninstalled the wad or used any title deleter, but it's close enough and a lot safer

I would say get rid of wii mod lite, in the wrong hands it can be dangerous. Some yawmm mod should be safe to keep but not necessary unless you plan to install WADs regularly. If u ever have the need u can always re-download. In any case some yawmm mod won't permit u to do something catastrophic, and if u don't have any wads in the device it can't do anything anyway so no harm in leaving it there if u want to

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Keep just the latest hbc, latest usbloadergx, latest Wiiflow Lite and some-yawmm-mod, delete any duplicates and old versions as you will not need them.
I hope there's dates to go by ? Or, will it be by version numbers ?
You mean some homebrew app to delete installed wad channels? If so that would be some-yawmm-mod, use it to install and delete wad channels/ vc games..
My plan is to remove all the unnecessary stuff that's still hanging around from previous mods. They just complicate things.
This wii came with so many emulators & they are still there (after the new modmii install). Thought/hoped they would be fully removed :(
I still haven't got around to using D2X. Yawmm did the job & it was easy to use, but never clear as to what it does. I can now see that all/most of the syscheck entries remained the same & modmii SU stuff was added.
My wii will strictly remain strictly just for wii & GC games.
If you want to, do it once you set up everything so it'd have the same exact stuff (as it is now)..
So, the nand does get altered with any/every update ? Directly or indirectly ?
If u want to remove a channel and don't have the wad to uninstall, u can just remove it from the Wii settings under data management. Sure it won't FULLY remove it like you would if u uninstalled the wad or used any title deleter, but it's close enough and a lot safer
Lost me there XFlack. Why would I need to add a wad when I need/want to remove them ? I just want a neater wii. I did read that not all wads are just channels.
Also worried that that by using wii's data management could effect HBC/apps & some apps may need to be reinstalled ?
I would say get rid of wii mod lite, in the wrong hands it can be dangerous. Some yawmm mod should be safe to keep but not necessary unless you plan to install WADs regularly. If u ever have the need u can always re-download. In any case some yawmm mod won't permit u to do something catastrophic, and if u don't have any wads in the device it can't do anything anyway so no harm in leaving it there if u want to
As for WML - I like the UI & it was the one that got the games working 1st. I do prefer to use just 1 usb app & USBL-GX is what I will most likely use (& Nintendont, directly).

I don't plan to install anymore wads, but perhaps certain wii & GC games may need them ?
This wii is & will be strictly for wii & GC games. Just sick & tired of looking at the crap left-over in the channels & HBC channels from previous mods/updates.

Thank you CoolMe & XFlack :)
As you can see, I am slowly advancing my knowledge.
My next 2 wii's will be much easier to hack & setup.
My NTFS, Fat32, HDD's & HT-LG dvdroms testing with different cluster sizes (not HT-LG) will continue. I just believe that this wii is very fussy, but the other 2 will be friendlier.
Regards & thanks :)

Last edited by morning_glory,

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Scratching my head in confusion :(

Got the games (Wii & GC) to work.
Using nintendont directly (no gx). All good.
Wii games using gx. All good.
Used a small, mixed bag of games with different regions & formats. All good.

Couldn't get gx to see nintendont & tried change a few gx settings. No go.
Nintendont directly with GC games. Working good.

Added my GC collection (80gb worth) to usb stick & removed the GC games from SD card. Didn't need them there anymore, as they are now on usb stick.

Also added 40+ wii games to the same usb stick (just to play & fill usb stick).
Both, wii & GC games are in their proper folders.

Now, GC games still work good, but gx won't detect any wii games (?????).
With 5-6 wii games, gx even displayed the game channels, prior to adding more games.
Is there a limit to how many wii games per storage device using gx ?
Tried changing some gx settings, also to no avail :(
Didn't touch Ocarina & other alike settings. Am I suppose to ?

I still haven't got around to using AnyTitle Del nor wii's data management to clean-out existing, old crap. Not sure which ATD to use ? There's 3 version, but 2 are more detailed. Also not sure if there's a preferred sequence to removing (c)ios, wads or channels ?
I was surprised not to see any double/triple/quadruple entries in ATD, so now I wonder what's meant to removed/deleted ? Doing so, it would delete all, correct ?
Don't want to remove/delete any wrong items. I know some can be re-installed, after. But, for now ... at least GC games are working & I don't want to make things worse.

I want to 100% follow modmii's/XFlack's preferred apps (nintendont & gx). I like the fact that both of these apps work with exfat, ntfs & fat32 (& with my usb sticks).

Stuck. Please help/advise. Thanks & regards :)

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I don't think u should use any title deleter,if u delete the wrong thing u can brick, and the gains are probably mininal

For gx seeing GC games, have u adjusted the view/filter settings to show them? There's a button the top left of the main gx screen when you're viewing games for that

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wii games in gx are now visible & working.
I feel like a real dick. Typo error on the wbfs folder (wfbs).

For gx seeing GC games, have u adjusted the view/filter settings to show them? There's a button the top left of the main gx screen when you're viewing games for that
Thanks & sorry, XFlack. I was reading, fell asleep & dreamt that I should look at my files & folders. Apologies for not noticing sooner.
I don't think u should use any title deleter,if u delete the wrong thing u can brick, and the gains are probably mininal
At this stage, I won't use ATD. Just want to have the wii up & running.
Thanks for your attention :) Regards

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Some observation/testing reports :

Firstly, that 2nd HBC I mentioned turned out to be the HBC Launcher. I checked & verified that all apps exits were set to HBC, but for some reason still some games exit to HBC Launcher (shows 4x ATD, 3xUSBGX, 3xWFL etc).
I can then still select to go to HBC (not HBC launcher).

Took a long time & some really boring efforts, but I hope it can explain something :

- Used all my Micro SDXC/HC, 256/64/32gb USB sticks with FAT32 (32K), NTFS (varied the sectoring sever times) & ExFat partitions.
Yes, Fat32 seems to be more successful, but still issues. Most (70%) wii games worked, with the exception of game exits (always black-screened).
GC/Nintendont worked perfectly with nkit & iso formats. Still a pain in the butt that you can't exit any GC game & return to the menu. I did read that there was a way, but it included so many controller button sequences. I don't even know if it really works (?).

- NTFS, with several different sector sizes was the biggest fail of all. Wii & GC games failed to be detected. Tried changing a few setting that referred to loading. So very disappointing :( I had high hopes. I know, CoolMe tried to warn me.

ExFat, I just used the default sector format. Totally failed with the wii games, but GC/Nintendont again worked flawlessly.
Then I found some other forum posts that stated that Nintendont doesn't use (c)ios to run. It's a bridge from wii to GC.
This made me think .... wii games being the intended wii games platform need (c)ios to play, manipulate, resolve issues, but GC/Nintendont games don't ?? Not sure about wads. Never sure about wads - ios-wads, channel-wads, forwarder-wads ?
Just makes me wonder how all the HBC apps/games would have ran with a greater apps design. Too many people working on projects at once ? Kind of like being stuck in crypt without a torch/flashlight.

- All of the above was tested by changing (both game & load) from 249-251. Made no difference :( Failure & wasting time is still a part of learning. Specially when so many other reports are fake & false. What can you trust ? Everything I tell you is a lie ;)
You can't be a gardener & not get your hands dirty ;)

- Fat32 USB 320gb Verbatim HDD, Yeah, great to see 98% of wii games work & return back to HBC, but NO GC games :(
Start Nintendont, select USB & it just stays on "Loading, please wait" & locks up to no wiimote (have to power off).
Is there a way to get to Ninendont's settings without starting it fully ? Don't know if I could solve the issue there, but I'm willing to try (?).
Powering the wii on/off so many times ... Good exercise, but so fuckstrating ! ;)

On the other testing the wii2hdmi .... Big, sharper improvement. A little to sharp during games (to much fuzz). It's a cheap wii2hdmi (Au$6), but HBC has never looked better.

Next test will be the good, old HT-LG dvd-roms in a USB2 casing. Starting to wonder if it will read wii dvd backups. Anything USB just doesn't sit well with THIS wii.
Not looking forward to repeating all this USB testing with my 2 other pal wiis, but I want to see if the earlier wiis are better suited (?). I just feel that the main issues are in some of the apps.

Again, XFlack did a tremendous job with ModMii. Used the better apps & settings to get a easier mod happening. Thank you.
I will have a go at using ATD (the last/better mod version), but I will also use wii's own thingy to remove unwanted crap. Some issues in understanding exactly what app is what (?).
Eg. How to tell the difference between HBC & HBC Launcher. All I see is HBC. The HBC Launcher is a different app to the actual HBC, correct ?
Most of the other crap can be easily identified & removed, but it worries me as some are forwarders & who knows what else (?).

Thanks & regards.

ps. Things are taking me longer to do, as I only have 1 USB port on my laptop & transferring files/games take forever, moving/removing/formatting SD cards & testing games.
But the biggest let-down was the USB 320gb Verbatim failing with GC/Nintendont.
I just prefer GC games to wii.
Post automatically merged:

Great !!! That Verbatim USB HDD just died.
Used it once to test wii & GC games, went to add more wii games & the USB interface decided to make my life more miserable :(
Still works, but to copy a 600mb file takes 1 day.
Are there any stats on wii's usb current/amps power output ?
Not happy with using a USB Y cable or external p/sup. Already too many cables :(

Any thoughts on a USB powered Seagate expansion portable 2tb HDD ?
It's a newer model & no compatibility info released yet.
I'm about to buy it. It's a good price at the moment.

I also want to use a Samsung 256gb SDXC for the FRONT of the wii.
Would partitioning it work with Nintendont/GC games ?
What about a Sandisk 256gb USB in the wii's 2nd USB port ?
I was going to re-join the the 2 partitions back to 1 single partition, if I had issues.
I just don't remember seeing anything about partitioning settings in Nintendont.

Thanks & cheers :)

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
During my travels I came across ..... Hope it helps ....

For anyone who liked Wii Backup Fusion (WiiBaFu), but hated the large file split issue.

No luck in finding the updated WiiBaFu version that can do the Fat32 4G split ?

I'm using WiiBaFu Ver.1.1 & there's a simple work-around for the Fat32 large file split.
Not the actual Fat32 4G split, but just a plain smaller file size split.
The problem was that the split size was calculated in WBFS format & that didn't match Fat32 format.
Sadly, not everyone can get away with using NTFS (on USB) format & avoid the split :(
There's other apps that can split the larger files.

When selecting the "Split", it will only show the "4G" on the dropdown menu.
Simply delete the the "4" (not the "G") & replace it with a eg: 3, or other value/s.
You can also add a decimal point (eg: 3.5G). The "xG" sizes match the file sizes :)
Tested, but not to the break/split marker. Games started fine. Not a game freak :(

I think it was just a language translation error & WiiBaFu was able to do this, all the time.
Many people expected the dropdown menu to show other choices.

BTW - The instruction/guide that states Gamecube iso/ciso conversion are experimental = Don't waste your time. It doesn't work with GC :(

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't ask me what happened, but I did get WiiBaFu to convert GC nkit.iso & .ciso files into wbfs & iso formats. Keep in mind that WiiBaFu only lists the wii formats. Gamecube stuff was meant to be experimental only.

At first, WiiBaFu failed to convert (as stated above), period. So I tried a plain GC .iso & converted it to all the other listed (wii) formats. The conversions worked, but not play-tested.
I thought I'd try a few different WiiBaFu settings with both nkit.iso & .ciso, again.
Hey presto. The conversion from nkit.iso & .ciso to wii plain iso was done, the file size was huge (over 4gb).
From there I converted that huge iso to wbfs, & the file size was scrubbed well.
Then I tried to do it (again) directly from nkit.iso & .ciso to wbfs, & it worked.
Head-scratch !
I need to find the time to test the conversions to make sure they work.

Just need to find a shortcut with how to work with 2disk GC games in nkit.iso & ciso, without converting them back to iso's 1st.

I still prefer to use Nintendont directly (not through GX). Too many file & folder renaming processes, & then incorporating the 2nd disk. I do know about the GC file/folder naming process, & that's why I couldn't see my GC games through GX. GX no like nkit.iso & .ciso formats.

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This has become ..... Well, not good :(

Don't know what I did, but I have destroyed 1x 320gb USB HDD, almost killed 4x USB flash sticks & I'm not going to risk anymore $'s in experimenting with new/er USB hardware.

My USB sticks (3x 256gb sandisk & 1x 128gb sandisk) all are snail-paced.
All transfer at around 4-5mbs. From new, they produced 18+mbs. Stuck with USB2 laptop & using USB 3, 3.1 & 3.2.
My 2 other USB HDD's are still hanging in there.
Now, looking into repairing these USB sticks, as I cannot be effed purchasing new ones.
If I'm to continue trials, I need them to be working at peak-best. Pissed off with waiting 15min to copy a single 2gb file to USB flash sticks.

Nintendont (directly - no GX) is the only hassle-free app that works.
Even with using nkit.iso for 2 disc games. I simply renamed the files as "game.iso & disc2.iso" (in folder with title & ID), & it works perfectly.

At this stage, I'm not even going to try the old HT-LG dvd-roms till I get something positive happening. Also, I'm not getting any feedback/comments/suggestions to the things I have tried.
Too many fails with this wii, hardware & apps performances :(

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This has become ..... Well, not good :(

Don't know what I did, but I have destroyed 1x 320gb USB HDD, almost killed 4x USB flash sticks & I'm not going to risk anymore $'s in experimenting with new/er USB hardware.

My USB sticks (3x 256gb sandisk & 1x 128gb sandisk) all are snail-paced.
All transfer at around 4-5mbs. From new, they produced 18+mbs. Stuck with USB2 laptop & using USB 3, 3.1 & 3.2.
My 2 other USB HDD's are still hanging in there.
Now, looking into repairing these USB sticks, as I cannot be effed purchasing new ones.
If I'm to continue trials, I need them to be working at peak-best. Pissed off with waiting 15min to copy a single 2gb file to USB flash sticks.

Nintendont (directly - no GX) is the only hassle-free app that works.
Even with using nkit.iso for 2 disc games. I simply renamed the files as "game.iso & disc2.iso" (in folder with title & ID), & it works perfectly.

At this stage, I'm not even going to try the old HT-LG dvd-roms till I get something positive happening. Also, I'm not getting any feedback/comments/suggestions to the things I have tried.
Too many fails with this wii, hardware & apps performances :(
Don't use USB stiks. Generally very unreliable on the Wii. It's been reported a million times. It should be in bold in softmod guides.
There are always exceptions, some will say mine is working so good. But believe me, for usb loaders and any homebrews, just use an old usb2 hdd.
Do note that the wii usb "driver" isn't perfect either regarding compatibility and speed (as you know usb2 support only).

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks. I don't disagree at all .....
Simply thought that newer USB storage sticks may do the job a little better. None of those are listed/mentioned on compatible thread/s.
Just trying to satisfy my own eager curiosity & learn the hard way. Stays with you longer & it replaces BOLD text meaning ;)
I haven't given up yet. Still a few more tests to do.

Never my intension to undermine anybody's wisdom :)
Post automatically merged:

Crap !!
Wanted to try testing with a single WBFS partition/s with 256gb USB sticks. Yeah, I know I wasted my time, but I used WBM to format USB stick to WBFS. Said it did it, & win10 didn't detect it, but I found out later that it couldn't (possible through WBM). RAW is raw & kept asking to be formatted.
Wanted to use another app (forgot the name), but that needed .net framework. Don't have much room on my HDD to play with :(

Sorted why my USB sticks were so darn slow. Took me ages to find the answers, & it was looking me directly in the eye.
After totally removing all drivers to start afresh, which also failed to resolve it, but it did aid the re-recognition (when inserted).
All-in-all, these larger capacity 3.x USB stick seem to have issues with fat32. Slows them by 70%. Maybe not at first, but it will later.
Re-did it to NTFS & speed was back to normal. Sadly I only have USB2 ports on my laptop & couldn't test the newer USB3.x standards :(
Still need to test the 320gb USB HDD & see if it's really dead or was corrupt from all the USB drives installed. So many drivers installed by win10, but I did test with many USB sticks (12, i think). For each FS it kept installing new drivers, & tried with fat32, NTFS & ExFat. So, that just tripled the amount of drivers. It kept getting worse as I tried using 2 partitions for testing.
Gotta learn the hard way (for me). Always grateful to hear other methods that can assist me through my journey :)

morning_glory

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This topic is not covered much, anywhere.
The obvious problems with latest/large (some old ones too) USB sticks are disappointing.

I've been using a 256gb evo+ micro sdxc with the wii's sd card slot without any hassle.
The best thing about is that it's formatted to fat32 & when I add stuff to it from the laptop, it doesn't slow down (like usb sticks with fat32). Speeds & compatibility is great.

Some ppl experience problems with micro sd to usb adapters. The older adapters tend to fail when using micro sd cards over 32gb. This is mostly from the pc perspective.
There is usb adapters that can handle larger micro sd cards that are over 32gb. Try ebay or amazon. A 3-pack is around Au$ 8.
The ones I got were guaranteed to work with 64gb & "possibly" 128gb micro sdxc cards, but I've been using it with my 256gb evo+ without any hassle.
So, I will need to test my 512gb evo+ (when it gets here) to see how it fares compared to failures of usb sticks.
Architectures of usb sticks & sdxc cards aren't the same, & that's where I'm positive that sdxc+usb adapter will perform better than usb sticks.
Using micro sdxc cards as both sd-wii &/or usb (with adapter) looks more promising.

I did use my 256gb evo+ in the very beginning (with usb adapter) with wii/gc games. The very beginning was all about total fails. Not much worked at all. The wii I purchased wasn't hacked/setup correctly, bla bla bla.
I have too much stuff on the 256gb evo+ & don't want to unload to my hdd to test with some better knowledge I gathered. My hdd is almost full, too.

Why am I doing this ? Well, there's floods all around us, it's boring & I need to amuse myself. Playing wii/gc games is not for me. I just may stumble on something of use.

Happy & safe Christmas :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Shhhhhh. Don't say Bananas. JM will get horny again :mellow:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Oh God no :ohnoes:
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pineapple is the safe word?
    But you said pine apple...
    Ughh gonna be bored today, class for new job has a lot of networking material and I'm certified in that already...
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Peen apple.
    +1
    "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol
    Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I didn't know... Lol
    +1
    Anymore males there? :blush:
    All of us lol
    I got free every channel so that's awesome lol
    +1
    Give me ALL the gay pron channels, since you won't be watching them :blush::D
    +1
    Lol they exist?
    +1
    Hmmm so Mario Does Luigi's plumbing is a bad movie? Lol
    These videos are soooo dry
    Please click all suspicious links sent your email
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What to do today? Cut grass for 3-4 hours, or just get drunk and play video games... Hmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I need a remote controlled mower, so I can sit on the couch and do both.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds good to me, video games and booze it is then.
    +1
  • denpafan @ denpafan:
    Good choice
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough decisions.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Now what to play, Starfield or Fallout4. And what to drink, beer or Whiskey and Coke. Such tough...