Homebrew Am I to not use Snes9xGx ever again?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
***PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THING BEFORE GETTING MAD AT ME****

This is really starting to piss me off, and I do mean "pissed off". I know I created another similar topic, but I never really got any insight or advice as to what I can do on my end to get this issue resolved. I guess you could say that this is the essentially the same thread, but with more detailed information which may prove useful to those who have had more Wii hacking/homebrew than I've had. I have done more testing with Snes9xGx, I've been able to pinpoint the issue done to a couple of possible triggers. While the lockups themselves seem to occur randomly, it always seems to happen when the menu itself is opened, or just after loading a ROM during the splash screens. To back up a bit, I originally changed the way Snes9xGx loaded/saved the SRAM, so I switched both to "None" and thought that the SRAM loading/saving was causing the lockups.

It seemed to have worked for maybe a total of twelve hours (two hours /day for six days), however, it was a fluke; it crashed just a half hour ago. No matter what combination of loading/saving settings I use, lockups are 100% sure to happen on my end. The DSi exception code is the same as well, it never changes. I told Tantric/dborth and he said it was an issue with libogc itself and not his emulator, which I have no doubt. Oddly enough, FceuGX works just fine, not once did it lockup, which surprised me seeing as both emulators use GX in their code. Again, I know I made a similar post in regards to this issue, but this one has more information.

Can anyone tell me why Snes9xGx is acting so oddly? The fact that I'm running the emulator off a USB HDD is completely irrelevant.
Again, this crashes randomly RIGHT as I press "Home"...the Wiimote is still on, but there is no cursor, no audio, no movement; completely locked up. Sometimes a DSi error appears, sometimes not, but when it does, it's ALWAYS the same error code.

(More info)
Programs that load perfectly:

Genesis Plus GX
FceuGX
CFG USB Loader (forwarder)
VbaGX
WiiMC 1.1.8

Programs that crash

Snes9xGx (any recent version)

cIOS used for HBC: IOS249
HBC Version: 1.0.8
Wii System: 4.3U/NTSC-U

HDD Information -

Model: MyPassport
Brand: Western Digital
Capacity: 500GB
File System: FAT32
No. of Partitions: One
Notes: This particular HDD is one of the most compatible for Wii homebrew as a whole

XML: Deleted the line "no_ios_reload"

Also, I should note that Tantric/dborh has the same HDD as I do, so that shouldn't be contributing to the crash.

Here is the crash report

DSi Exception

802da528-->802e7938-->802db1d8-->8002f01c

CODE DUMP

802da528: 80EFFFC 80C30000 39600000 20E7FFF8

802da538: 7D243A14 7F893040 419C0014 81630004

802da548: 7D695810 39600000 7D6B5914 2F8B0000

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that crash report might actually mean something if you could provide the elf or dol that you used to produce it. the elf would make it much easier.

does the crash happen if you load the emulator from a almost SD card, dont have a USB drive connected to the wii at all, and dont have the thingy in the xml?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
the_randomizer said:
Can anyone tell me why Snes9xGx is acting so oddly? The fact that I'm running the emulator off a USB HDD is completely irrelevant.
Is it? About the only thing I could think of wasn't mentioned in your long description: do you have IOS58 installed?

(From the changenotes of 4.2.4:

USB 2.0 support via IOS 58 added - requires that IOS58 be pre-installed)

But other than that...I hope you're not thinking any of us know snes9xgx better than the author of the thing itself*?

*okay, okay: the author of the wii port. It's still close enough.

c64sd4sd4sd4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the above post- check to see if you have IOS58 installed.

You mentioned the HD is not the issue, since Tantric has the same one, but not because you tried running the program on SD. Have you tried that?

Have you tried reinstalling, or failing that winding back the version to a workable one? the more recent earlier versions of Snesgx are not that different.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
the easiest way to make sure if you have all your IOS's is use a program like "pimp my wii" and after that you should be all set

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sputnix said:
the easiest way to make sure if you have all your IOS's is use a program like "pimp my wii" and after that you should be all set
I strongly reccomend you do not use pimp my wii, or 'brick my wii' as some call it. Instead use modmii, or multi-mod manager, or wiimod

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the .dol file that I'm using (as included with the .zip file); downloaded from the official Google Code page and wasn't compiled from the SVN source code

A side note "USB 2.0 support via IOS 58 added - requires that IOS58 be pre-installed" doesn't explain how the other two GX emulators (FceuGX and VbaGX) work just fine. AFAIK, IOS58 is already installed and is being used by the Homebrew Channel as we speak. I don't want to install IOS58 until I know for sure that it currently is not installed (using the Wii SysCheck app).

boot.dol - http://www.filefactory.com/file/ceaa4f5/n/boot.dol
meta.xml - http://www.filefactory.com/file/ceaa41c/n/meta.xml

It doesn't happen at all when I use my 8GB SDHC card, in fact, I spammed the menu (open/close) multiple times and not once did it crash. With the HDD plugged in, that's when it crashes, whether it's five minutes or fifty minutes into it, it will happen. It should NOT be doing this. If I had a Toshiba HDD, yeah, but Western Digital HDDs are a heck of a lot more reliable than Toshiba. Would it hurt to run the IOS58 installer, or do I go into MMM and change the IOS to 58?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think its not the hard drive itself, but rather the files on the hard drive, the number of files on the hard drive, or something like this.

here is an elf i built from the latest svn source http://www.multiupload.com/SYC99KVAIQ . if you want to run it and let it crash and post the crash dump, it will help in seeing what is making it crash so maybe you dont have to keep guessing about it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
i think its not the hard drive itself, but rather the files on the hard drive, the number of files on the hard drive, or something like this.

here is an elf i built from the latest svn source http://www.multiupload.com/SYC99KVAIQ . if you want to run it and let it crash and post the crash dump, it will help in seeing what is making it crash so maybe you dont have to keep guessing about it.

Thanks. Will give this a shot and see what happens. Weird, I didn't know that the Wii could load .elf files...I thought they exclusively loaded .dol files. I'll be back ASAP.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I were to peg your problem with any origin I would say either A) your hard drive is going into sleep mode and whenever you try to access it after by entering the menu it will crash because it cannot read the directory it needs to access the snapshot or the rom file itself or...

B) It's the homebrew channel. make sure you have a stable internet connection with the wii before going into SNES9xGx again.

if the problem still exists try using a modified version of the emulator that uses ios 202.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J-Machine said:
If I were to peg your problem with any origin I would say either A) your hard drive is going into sleep mode and whenever you try to access it after by entering the menu it will crash because it cannot read the directory it needs to access the snapshot or the rom file itself or...

B) It's the homebrew channel. make sure you have a stable internet connection with the wii before going into SNES9xGx again.

if the problem still exists try using a modified version of the emulator that uses ios 202.

You know, the funny thing is, when I turned off the Internet connection on the Wii, that's about when this issue started to happen. To tell you the truth, I didn't know the HBC had to have a constant internet connection in order to work properly. And about the HDD going to sleep mode, I downloaded the firmware from Western Digital's website (WD SmartWare) and made sure the HDD never goes into sleep mode. To be honest, I don't know why I disabled the wireless internet in the first place, probably due to initial paranoia that Nintendo could remotely update my Wii, but since I have Priiloader and BootMii, that won't happen. This was about a month and a half ago, but now that you mention it, that would actually explain the timing of the crash pretty dang well. Do I have to enable WiiConnect24 as well, or just the internet connection? What about switching to IOS58, do I use MMM for that?

What I will try in order

1 - Turn on the wireless internet connection
2 - Try loading Snes9xGx 4.2.7/4.2.8 via Forwarder
3 - Double check to make sure the HDD sleep mode is disabled
4 - If it locks still up, switch to the modified build giantpune sent in his last post
5 - Get the error/DSi exception code from the modified .elf file and post it here

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just enabling the internet connection is fine. Wii24 is really more for wii channels like the weather channel and the wii shop.

But yes People have complained in the past about the new HBC making applications crash without an internet connection. It actually happened to me using FCEUGX a few months back and that problem disappeared magically once I turned on my router and let my wii connect to the internet.

The only reason I brought up IOS 202 is because it was said to have better compatibility with USB 2.0 hard drives but was later scrapped for 58.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
post a syscheck as well if you can. that may help to troubleshoot further.

try loading with no usb hdd, only from sd. then try only usb, no sd.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would second the the internet connection, all the GX emus crashed on my sister in law's wii because of it. Since they don't have internet there, I just set up a dummy connection in manual settings (ie, 127.0.0.1, etc for the ip addresses) and it hasn't had a crash since.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the report made from SysCheck - Alas, it still crashed with the SDHC card out and USB HDD plugged in with version 4.2.7. However, I put the SDHC card with the HDD unplugged with version 4.2.8....didn't crash at all. I took a look the SysCheck report and noticed that IOS58 has not been patched at all. Now I feel like I experienced an ID10T error. Just turned the Internet connection back on, too.

sysCheck v2.0.1 by Double_A
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 49911157
Boot2 v4

Found 108 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 6 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 14889): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): No Patches
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16687): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 6944): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223 (rev 4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249 (rev 21006): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250 (rev 21006): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

Report generated on 2011/09/11.

Hope this gives some insight as to what could be going on. This is starting to piss me off; it shouldn't be giving me this much trouble.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you syscheck looks good, nothing wrong, maybe ios 202 is out of date, but i think snes9xgx uses 58 now, you could try to update 202 see if that helps. use the latest version of snes9xgx, it should be fine, its something on your machine thats causing the problems.

have you tried deleting everything to do with snes9xgx and doing a fresh install? maybe its a corrupted setting or file on your hdd/sd card that is causing the problem. maybe its a bad rom? idk just throwing ideas out there. this is tough issue to figure out.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
you syscheck looks good, nothing wrong, maybe ios 202 is out of date, but i think snes9xgx uses 58 now, you could try to update 202 see if that helps. use the latest version of snes9xgx, it should be fine, its something on your machine thats causing the problems.

I'm not 100% sure on how I'd go about updated cIOS202, would I need some sort of WAD file to do that or is there an installer somewhere? And if there IS something amiss with the Wii, would I have to restore the NAND using my BootMii backup?

QUOTE(VashTS @ Sep 11 2011, 08:58 PM) have you tried deleting everything to do with snes9xgx and doing a fresh install? maybe its a corrupted setting or file on your hdd/sd card that is causing the problem. maybe its a bad rom? idk just throwing ideas out there. this is tough issue to figure out.

I could try to completely delete the Snes9x directory (including the ROM/Save directories) and start from scratch. *Sigh* I'm on the verge of tearing my hair out at this point. One emulator should not be causing these issues.

How often does Dborth/Tantric stop by here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...