• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Amidst the Covid-19 outbreak, Trump fires Inspector General

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...85cb0a-781f-11ea-b6ff-597f170df8f8_story.html

WHEN MICHAEL ATKINSON, the intelligence community’s inspector general, received a whistleblower’s complaint on Aug. 12 about President Trump’s attempt to extort political favors from Ukraine, he judged that it was “credible” and of “urgent concern.” As sworn congressional testimony later conclusively confirmed, he was right. Federal law required that in those circumstances, the whistleblower report be delivered to Congress; in a Aug. 26 letter to the acting director of national intelligence, Mr. Atkinson said the legal standard had been met.

For that, Mr. Atkinson, a respected, nonpartisan public servant with a 17-year record, was fired late Friday night by Mr. Trump, who used the cover of night and the novel coronavirus pandemic to extend his purge of officials who cooperated with the exposure or investigation of his wrongdoing. It was the most blatant and shameful act of retribution yet by a president who has sought to shut down all independent checks on his behavior.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    JakobAir @ JakobAir: Damn, I haven't been on here in while. My wife and I went on a mushroom trip like 10 years ago...