Analogue 3D - an FPGA based reimagining of the N64 announced

Analogue 3D

Analogue - the company behind the revered Analogue Pocket have announced their latest product, the Analogue 3D.

The Analogue 3D is an FPGA based home console capable of playing N64 cartridges but sporting modern technical capabilities such as 4K output, Bluetooth and 2.4ghz wireless controller support and more. As it is an FPGA solution, this means that the emulation is done at a hardware level - not software. The chips are programmed to emulate hardware functions directly instead of relying on software or higher level code to do so which often results in improved accuracy and latency.

The Analogue 3D promises "100% compatibility" across all software and much like the Pocket, will offer different display modes - using "reference quality recreations of specific model CRT’s and PVM’s" these display modes intend to mimic the output of an original N64 producing results that original hardware would have displayed at the time.

Analogue 3D
  • Wireless Bluetooth and 2.4g.
  • 4 original-style controller ports.
  • Completely engineered in FPGA.
  • Analogue OS.
No emulation.
  • A reimagining of the N64.
  • 4K resolution.
  • Original Display Modes.
  • Reference quality recreations of specific model CRT’s and PVM’s.
The first and only aftermarket solution supporting 100% compatibility in every region. USA, EU & JP. Coming in 2024.

Details are scarce right now but we will cover more on the Analogue 3D in the future and will hopefully be reviewing the product some time next year.

:arrow: Source

Attachments

• controller-slide_1.adb20a7ba641e.jpg
    controller-slide_1.adb20a7ba641e.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by shaunj66,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is the one. I haven't bought any Analogue console yet (despite wanting to), but this is the one I've been hoping for for a long time. I need this.
The N64 needs this treatment more than any other console, due to the difficulty of HDMI modding (and only composite out being available on PAL models without complicated mods), as well as the forced blur filter making games look even worse than they need to.
Between crappy video out and emulation, there is no perfect way to play it.
On top of that, the N64 is my favorite console of all time.
I'm sure this thing will have no trouble playing SNES games with their various expansion chips using CFW either, so it could take the place of the Super Nt I never bought. I'd love to have both, but space is at a premium in my living room and the Super Nt is probably unobtainium now.

proconsule54

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am curious of what fpga family is based on, altera or xilinx. Or something else.
But based on price i doubt will be nothing more then a cyclone 5 if altera or a spartan if xilinx

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm waiting for a company to make a clone console that can accept and play all the retro Nintendo cartridges: NES, SNES, N64, and GB(C) and GBA
Did Retron do something like that already? I think the downside with that was that it was all software emulation though, and a bit rough around the edges. It would be great to see Analogue tackle it (though a part of me doubts they will since they can make more money with individual systems).

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good for them but I feel like I've tired of Analogue and I'm disappointed to see openFPGA receive no mention yet again. The real best news is what looks like an N64 version of the 8bitdo Ultimate controller.

Reactions: Kitocco

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did Retron do something like that already? I think the downside with that was that it was all software emulation though, and a bit rough around the edges. It would be great to see Analogue tackle it (though a part of me doubts they will since they can make more money with individual systems).
Yeah but they're was no N64 compatability. And more importantly, was as you said, software-based emulation.

Reactions: Scarlet

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did Retron do something like that already? I think the downside with that was that it was all software emulation, though, and a bit rough around the edges. It would be great to see Analogue tackle it (though a part of me doubts they will since they can make more money with individual systems).
The RetroN 5. I had one, and yes, it's just software emulation. It would rip your game cart's rom and emulate it. It was OK for what it was. it had some problems, hardware and legalwise. Mine randomly died on me and wouldn't turn on.
It could emulate nes,Famicom, snes, super Famicom, genesis, mega drive, master system, gba, gbc and gameboy. It could also run gamegear games, iirc, with an adapter.
The best part about it was you could run japanese only games with translation patches(if you could find one), but people found a way to run roms without any modifications.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
analogue pocket makes sense... it's portable FPGA emulation, you can't find this anywhere.

analogue home consoles do not make sense... they cost more than the said OG console + upscale (or more than OG console + CRT TV), so why? Those are even less available and harder to obtain than the OG consoles, so again, why???

Now 8bitdo N64 controller? That's AMAZING!!!

Reactions: Guacaholey

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That controller tease looks like 8bitdo, that has me interested.
Oh it's absolutely 8BitDo, the buttons here match up with several other 8BitDo controllers.

1697478022694.png

1697478130771.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0F1Qjn0Ac