Anime - Help me out!

mariendg

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't believe no one has suggested death note yet
But I can highly recommend it, a must watch in my opinion.
You can look it up on animenewsnetwork (google it), there you can find a short summary and details
On that site you can find similar anime based on genres and titles, so you could look up SAO and find similar anime

Reactions: gamefan5

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
most of my reccomendations have already been posted by others here whim I liked thier post if you wish to find out. I'm mainly a big an of the "profession" based animes like great teacher onizuka, legendary grappler baki, legendary gambler tetsuya(sp?) and there was a legendary salary man (dunno name of guy).

my 6 recommended above all others would be:
1.Great teacher onizuka
2. monster
3. welcome to the NHK
4. fate stay night
5. Elfen Leid
6. Code Geass

some I liked include pumpkin scissors but the anime ended before the story did and chobits I found better as a manga. To be honest I would have flooded my post with anime but thats no good if you've only gotten your feet wet so I think I'll stop here.

Wait! azumanga Daio if you want a break from the serious stuff :)

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
EDIT: I saw that people recommend Steins;Gate. Watch it. It's AMAZING!!

I was going to suggest this one, it was interesting (but I do suggest these two below more)!

My other two favourite anime are:
Saikano (also known as: She the ultimate weapon), it's a short 13 episode series that touched me so much. I love it so much I even bought the DVD box and everything.
Spiral ~suiri no kizuna~, a 25 episode mystery series... It's a bit funny, quirky, has nice music, and a nice story. This is my second favourite of all time.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The original Dragon Ball is a fun adventure series. It's 5 seasons long.

Hetalia is a funny anime, if you're looking for something a little more comedic.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Saikano (also known as: She the ultimate weapon), it's a short 13 episode series that touched me so much. I love it so much I even bought the DVD box and everything.

Really? I read a few good things about this and thought it was worth a go.....but it wasn't very good at all, ranking with ef a tale of memories as the poorest anime i've seen (that i remember anyway...)

As for recommendations....PLANETES! Series about space debris collectors....only it's sooo much more than that.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Really? I read a few good things about this and thought it was worth a go.....but it wasn't very good at all, ranking with ef a tale of memories as the poorest anime i've seen (that i remember anyway...)

Yeah. I do get that it isn't for everyone though. Did you watch every episode or did you stop when you realised you didn't like it? I think the story is a masterpiece, even if it's nothing special. And it does start out very slow.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
get ready for a big post

My Bride is a Mermaid:
The story of Seto no Hanayome revolves around a young teenage boy named Nagasumi Michishio. One day during his summer vacation at Seto Bay, Nagasumi is saved from drowning by a mermaid, Sun Seto. Under mermaid law, however, either the mermaid whose identity was revealed, or the human who saw the mermaid, must be executed. In an attempt to save both Nagasumi and Sun's lives, Sun's family, which is the head of a mermaid mafia group, reluctantly decides that the two are to be married. Sun's father Gōzaburō is enraged about his daughter's sudden marriage. Between Gōzaburō's constant attempts on his life and the madcap antics of a slew of antagonists, Nagasumi has a hard time transitioning into his new married lifestyle..

Moyashimon:
Moyasimon follows the life of Tadayasu Sawaki, a first-year college student at an agricultural university, who has the unique ability to see and communicate with micro-organisms and bacteria. Additionally, these organisms look much different to him, and much larger, than what can be seen under a microscope by normal people. This ability has brought him a bit of fame as when he entered the university, Tadayasu discovered that one of the professors there, Keizō Itsuki, already knew about his gift via Tadayasu's grandfather. Professor Itsuki's coworker Haruka Hasegawa has trouble believing what Tadayasu claims at first, but later comes to accept it. Tadayasu enters the university with his good friend Kei Yūki whose family runs a sake brewery.

Moyashimon Returns:In the second season the story continues exactly where it left off previously. Professor Itsuki's Fermentation Cellar and laboratory is ready for operation and with Sawaki Tadayasu's unique gift to see and communicate with microbes to help, Itsuki's motley group of students begin to process different fermented products like soy sauce and sake.

Ladies versus Butlers:
Akiharu Hino lost his parents when he was young and was adopted into his uncle's family. He decides to enter a boarding school, Hakureiryō Academy, because he no longer wants to burden his relatives. He decides to take the exam for that school and succeeds in entering the House Management Department, where the school trains servants for high society. He wants to become a butler, but his delinquent appearance frightens the girls, who make up the majority of the students. Being unable to get along with his classmates, Akiharu meets his childhood girlfriend Tomomi Saikyō, a girl with a two-faced character who traumatized him many times when they were kids. Another girl named Selnia Iori Flameheart chases after him because of his looks and calls him suspicious. Still, Akiharu starts finding his feet at the school and his relationships with the girls also get better.

Toradora:
It's a new school year and Ryuuji Takasu discovers that not only is he in the same class as his best friend, Yuusaku Kitamura, but also Minori Kushieda whom he's had an undisclosed crush on for quite some time. Along with the two of them comes the "Palmtop Tiger", tiny Taiga Aisaka and Minori's best friend. Despite her small stature, Taiga takes nothing from anybody and is secretly in love with Kitamura. Ryuuji and Taiga, despite their oil and water relationship, agree to mutually support each other in their quests for their hearts' desire.

Space Brothers:
When they were young, the brothers Mutta and Hibito promised each other they would become astronauts. Now, in 2025, Hibito has followed his dream to become the first Japanese on the moon, but Mutta has just been fired from his job. His brother reminds him of their childhood promise, and Mutta decides once again to aim for space.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo:
The school romantic comedy revolves around a second-year high school student named Sorata Kanda who lives in Sakurasou, the dormitory for problem children at Sorata's school. One day, Mashiro Shiina—a cute girl who happens to be also a cosmopolitan, brilliant artist—moves into Sakurasou.

Sorata thinks to himself that he should protect Mashiro from the weirdos at Sakurasou, but Mashiro has a surprising secret: she has no idea how to take care of herself. She gets lost if she goes out, and her room is a complete mess. Sorata's dorm mates designate him as the "master" of Mashiro, and thus, an ordinary boy and a brilliant girl must live like "a master and his pet."

Mysterious Girlfriend X:
The series follows the relationship of Akira Tsubaki and Mikoto Urabe. Urabe is a transfer student who recently came to Tsubaki's school. After a series of strange events, Tsubaki finds himself addicted to Urabe's drool. Once she claims the addiction as love sickness, the relationship slowly progresses, focusing on the odd bond that comes out of the drool attachment.

Nyan Koi!:
Junpei Kōsaka is a second-year high school student who despises cats and has an allergy to them. It just so happens that his high school crush is Kaede Mizuno, a girl who adores cats. One day, while walking home from school, Junpei kicks an empty can and unfortunately beans the local neko-jizō-sama (guardian deity of cats). Soon, he finds he can now understand what cats are saying, including his family's own ill-tempered cat, Nyamusasu. However, if he does not grant 100 wishes from cats, he will turn into a cat himself.

Mayo Chiki:
When you've got acute gynophobia, even a pretty girl can be a malady, and as the sparring partner for his family of female wrestlers, Sakamachi Kinjiro has the worst case EVER! Just one touch makes his nose bleed, so school's a bloody nightmare even before Kanade, the Principal's twisted daughter, deduces both Kinjiro's "feminine issue" AND that his name contains the sounds "Chi" and "Kin" back to back. But Chi-Kin's female troubles don't totally redline until a wrong turn in the men's room exposes the secret Subaru, Kanade's manservant, has been hiding in the water closet. (Well, to be fair, we should say WOmanservant.) And if Subaru's cross reactions concerning her cross-dressing aren't enough of a drag, Kinjiro's girl problems also include a haunted martial artist (with ghosts); a cat-eared fetishist (meow!); AND his own sister, whose interest in "wrestling" a certain incorrectly packaged butler may result in an unexpected ending! And that's JUST the set up!

Kimi ni Todoke Season 1 and 2:
Kuronuma Sawako is completely misunderstood by her classmates. Her timid and sweet demeanor is often mistaken for malicious behavior. This is due to her resemblance to the ghost girl from "The Ring", which has led her peers to give her the nickname Sadako. Longing to make friends and live a normal life, she is naturally drawn to Kazehaya Shouta, the most popular guy in class, whose "100% refreshing" personality earns him great admiration from Sawako. So when Kazehaya starts talking to her, maybe there is hope for the friendships Sawako has always longed for. Maybe...there is even a little hope for some romance in her future.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!:
Training, studying and even becoming the first female student council president of the school, Misaki has gained a reputation among the male students body as an uptight boy-hating dictator and as a shining hope for the teachers and fellow female students. However, despite her tough-as-nails appearance, she secretly works part-time at a maid cafe in order to support her family. Unfortunately, her hard-earned reputation is threatened when the popular, attractive, and somewhat impassive Usui Takumi takes an interest in her after discovering her in a maid uniform after school.

Eureka Seven;
Renton Thurston is a 14-year-old boy who lived with his mechanic grandfather in a backwater town. Every day he dreamed of being with the mercenary "Light Finding Operation (LFO)" aircraft pilot group "Gekkostate" and riding "Trapar" particle waves —a sport called "reffing"— with their charismatic leader Holland, especially when faced with his father's acclaimed past or his grandfather's desire to protect him. When a young girl named Eureka riding the original LFO, the "Nirvash typeZERO", asks his grandfather for a tune-up, she inadvertently brings the attention of the military to the garage; as a result, the garage is destroyed and Renton is forced to deliver a new type of interface —the "Amita Drive"— to the Nirvash. After a heated fight in which the Nirvash destroys the military LFOs by unleashing an immense amount of power, Renton is invited into Gekkostate. However, he quickly realizes that behind the facade of a traveling group of mercenaries is a very bitter reality.

Eyeshield 21:
Welcome To the Gridiron of the Damned! Huge hulking bodies throw themselves at each other, while a tiny lithe body runs between them for the goal! No, it’s not a game of football, it’s Sena Kobayakawa trying to evade the monstrous Ha-Ha brothers down the halls of Deimon High School! But wait! Sena’s incredible skills at not getting caught have been spotted by the devilish (possibly actually demonic) captain of the school’s embryonic American style football team, and when Sena asks to be the teams manager, he gets thrust onto the field as a running back instead! But there are two BIG catches: first, to keep the identity of their new “star” player an absolute secret, Yoichi makes Sena wear an opaque visor on his helmet and gives him the alias of “Eyeshield 21.” And the second catch? Well, in order to hit his fastest “speed of light” running mode, Sena usually has to be absolutely terrified. Not that THAT will be a problem with the monstrous players that he’ll soon find himself running from! The insanity hits the streets when the feet meet the cleats in EYESHIELD 21!

DearS:
Ikuhara Takeya is a high school student living a normal life. He is not interested in the commotion around a UFO filled with beautiful alien females that crashed on earth a year ago. The aliens, known as DearS, are deciding to take permanent residence on earth. What no one knows is that these aliens are a slave species whose sole purpose is to serve and please their masters. One day, Takeya spots a person shivering behind some bushes. This person, Ren, is one of the DearS, and after being saved by Takeya she chooses him as her master. Takeya, who doesn't know about the master-slave relationship of DearS, tries to teach Ren the normal lifestyle of the people on earth, though he constantly fears that Ren is an evil alien who's trying to brainwash him. Ren, however, isn't like other DearS. She is in fact malfunctioning and is being tracked down by their leader. Meanwhile, Takeya begins to learn more about DearS, and a mythical DearS relationship called “Gift” begins to develop between them.

Code Geass:
On August 10th of the year 2010 the Holy Empire of Britannia began a campaign of conquest, its sights set on Japan. Operations were completed in one month thanks to Britannia's deployment of new mobile humanoid armor vehicles dubbed Knightmare Frames. Japan's rights and identity were stripped away, the once proud nation now referred to as Area 11. Its citizens, Elevens, are forced to scratch out a living while the Britannian aristocracy lives comfortably within their settlements. Pockets of resistance appear throughout Area 11, working towards independence for Japan.

Lelouch, an exiled Imperial Prince of Britannia posing as a student, finds himself in the heart of the ongoing conflict for the island nation. Through a chance meeting with a mysterious girl named C.C., Lelouch gains his Geass, the power of the king. Now endowed with absolute dominance over any person, Lelouch may finally realize his goal of bringing down Britannia from within!

Hajime no Ippo:
Makunouchi Ippo has been bullied his entire life. Constantly running errands and being beaten up by his classmates, Ippo has always dreamed of changing himself, but never has the passion to act upon it. One day, in the midst of yet another bullying, Ippo is saved by Takamura Mamoru, who happens to be a boxer. Ippo faints from his injuries and is brought to the Kamogawa boxing gym to recover. As he regains consciousness, he is awed and amazed at his new surroundings in the gym, though lacks confidence to attempt anything. Takamura places a photo of Ippo's classmate on a punching bag and forces him to punch it. It is only then that Ippo feels something stir inside him and eventually asks Takamura to train him in boxing. Thinking that Ippo does not have what it takes, Takamura gives him a task deemed impossible and gives him a one week time limit. With a sudden desire to get stronger, for himself and his hard working mother, Ippo trains relentlessly to accomplish the task within the time limit. Thus Ippo's journey to the top of the boxing world begins.

Binbougami ga!:
At the expense of the people and things around her, Sakura has absorbed so much "happiness energy" that she has caused an energy imbalance in the world. In order to return balance to the world, the Poverty God, Momiji, sets out to take away Sakura's ability to absorb this energy. Will Momiji be able to put a stop to Sakura's absorbing abilities, or will the God succumb to her happiness?

Beelzebub:
The story follows the "strongest juvenile delinquent", Tatsumi Oga, a first year in "Ishiyama High" the school for delinquents. One day while sleeping next to a river he sees a man floating down it, he pulls him to shore and the man splits in half revealing a baby boy. This boy is the son of the demon king and he has been chosen as the one to raise it with the baby's demon maid Hilda. The story follows his life with the child and at the delinquent school.

Bamboo Blade:
Kojirou is the kendo instructor for Muroe High School and he's totally broke. But then an unexpected chance is given to him: his team must win against his senpai's team and the prize is: free meals for a whole year! Now, the only problem left... where to find girls skilled enough and willing to join the kendo team?

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu:
The story centers around Akihisa Yoshii, the "baka" of the title. His academy rigidly divides up the student body into classes based on the results of tests. The prodigies are in the A class with reclining seats complete with air conditioning, but Akihisa is in F class, the lowest rung of the school ladder which is furnished only with low, decrepit tables and worn-out straw tatami mats. A girl named Mizuki Himeji is actually one of the smartest girls in Akihisa's sophomore year, but she had a fever on test day and was pigeonholed into the F class. Besides Mizuki (who Akihisa secretly adores), the F class also has Yuuji Sakamoto, the class president who has been Akihisa's friend and partner-in-crime since the freshman year.

The school happens to have developed experiments to summon fantasy creatures, and Akihisa decides to rally F class to take on the higher-tiered classes and seize their perks. The F class uses the summoned creatures in an all-out battle for school supremacy.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu ni:
Continuing from where Season 1 left, the story continues with a more in depth into the characters but with the same humor narrative as before.

Asu no Yoichi:
His skill with a sword is magnificent but his social skills still need a lot of work!

After many long years perfecting the art of fighting, 17-year-old Yoichi Karasuma is sent down from the remote mountains where he has been raised thinking that he's going to study some new martial arts techniques... but what he's really going to learn about are some slightly more practical things, like electrical appliances, modern clothing and, most especially, how NOT to make girls want to kill you!

Unfortunately, that last lesson is one Yoichi may not survive, as his new dojo is infested with the infernal creatures in the form of the Ikaruga sisters, and they don't really seem to understand how "proper" girls are "supposed" to behave! Will Yoichi's bushido blade be struck down by the fearsome charms of Ibuki, Ayame, Chihaya, and Kagome? Or will the equally lethal girls from the rival Tsubame school be his undoing?

Ai Yori Aoshi:
Kaoru Hanabishi, a college student who lives alone, met a beautiful but bewildered girl dressed in a kimono at a train station. He volunteered to guide her way to the address she was looking for, which happened to be in his neighborhood, but turned out to be an empty lot. Not knowing what to do next, Kaoru invited the devastated girl to his apartment and asked for any additional clues to her destination. She supplied him with a photo of two children whom Kauru immediately identified as himself and Aoi Sakuraba, his childhood friend. It turned out that the girl in front of him is Aoi Sakuraba herself, his betrothed fiancee who came all the way to Tokyo to marry him. Her revelation was not only surprising but also reminded the deepest part of Kaoru's memory for why he left the Hanabishi family in the first place.

Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi:
Two years after meeting Aoi, Kaoru and gang are still up to their normal habits. Kaoru now in grad school and the tenants being as rowdy as ever what will become of Aoi and Kaoru's love.

Ah! My Goddess:
Keiichi Morisato is looking forward to university life. But in reality, he has no luck in anything, and he has trouble with clubs, love, etc. The truth is that he has an unlucky star above his head. One day, Keiichi is stuck watching the dorm while his sempai are away, and has a mountain of chores to do to boot. But Keiichi is a good-natured person, and is set about doing his duties. As he is about to finish his final chore, he makes a phone call to his sempai. But the words that came through the receiver are, 'Goddess Help Line.' Shortly afterwards, a beautiful goddess named Belldandy appears in front of him from the mirror of his room.

Acchi Kocchi:
Everyone has a circle of friends they hang out with. But even within a small group there are smaller groups of friends, best friends and, here's where it gets complicated, boyfriends and girlfriends. Sometimes relationships just develop in a way where you're not exactly sure what you are to the other person. Which is the problem Tsumiki has when it comes to Io. Io's as tall and easygoing as Tsumiki is short in both temper and stature, but he also seems to be totally clueless about how she's starting to feel. Yet, at times, he's almost too affectionate. It's just confusing and irritating. And their prankster friends Mayoi and Sakaki aren't much help. Especially Mayoi, as it gives her one more thing to tease Tsumiki over. Hime, the fifth member of their usual gang of five isn't much better, because she's not really well connected to reality anyway. Which leaves Tsumiki stuck in a quandary. Are she and Io just best friends? And is it worth risking that for what Tsumiki wants?

are some anime that you might like

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. I do get that it isn't for everyone though. Did you watch every episode or did you stop when you realised you didn't like it? I think the story is a masterpiece, even if it's nothing special. And it does start out very slow.

I watched all of it (i've never dropped an anime yet!) I just thought that the story wasn't that good, nor the character development. It really suffered from being a bit nonsensical.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I watched all of it (i've never dropped an anime yet!) I just thought that the story wasn't that good, nor the character development. It really suffered from being a bit nonsensical.
Alright! I agree that there isn't much character development more than really subtle things. I don't agree that it's nonsensical though, not that I remember at least. :P (But I'm not saying you're wrong!)
It's the subtle and mellow that I like. The sadness, hopelessness.. love... aww now I have to watch it all again :wub:

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright! I agree that there isn't much character development more than really subtle things. I don't agree that it's nonsensical though, not that I remember at least. :P (But I'm not saying you're wrong!)
It's the subtle and mellow that I like. The sadness, hopelessness.. love... aww now I have to watch it all again :wub:

Have you seen Koi Kaze? I haven't but when i was looking around for info about Saikano i saw that one come up as comparable in some ways...which may save you from rewatching Saikano again! :P

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Have you seen Koi Kaze? I haven't but when i was looking around for info about Saikano i saw that one come up as comparable in some ways...which may save you from rewatching Saikano again! :P
No I haven't seen it, but I'll check it out, Thanks! :) I don't really like the theme of it though (Incest).. but I'll watch it before I judge it :P

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreeing with BloodWolfJW, Clannad is my favorite anime. Kanon is also pretty good and it by the same animation company as Clannad. I've been meaning to watch Air but I can't find anywhere to pirate buy it.

As other have suggested, Code Geass and Death Note are great animes as well.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Mecha anime, my favorite anime so far
2. Gundam Seed/ Gundam Seed Destiny - Another pretty good mecha anime
3. RahXephon - Another Mecha Anime, im still watching it but so far its pretty good, some say its pretty similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion, havent really seen the resemblance so far
4. Saint Seiya - its pretty much fighting anime but love the fight scenes and the story telling, how they connect with greek mythology
5. Dragon Ball Z - One of the best fighting anime out
6. Death Note - Anime with lots of psychology involved, interesting to see how the story goes forth
7. Blood+

i like mecha anime alot, thats why my first 3 choices were mecha animes :P

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Chobits is another romance anime which is good. It was the first anime I watched that wasn't Pokemon or Digimon and it found to be really enjoyable. REC and Kids on the Slope are other ones which I thought were really good.

It was insanely good. It was the first anime that I watched that wasn't ... I don't know the word, Mainstreamed? (dbz, pokemon, fma). But I prefer the japanese dubs sooo much more. I'm more of an english dub guy myself, but dammit, I was just a fan of how the characters sounded in the Jap dub.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/W-k8itKhZzE?si=x1FjAoq74Jv0TAUx +1