Any ideas on this glitch with 32kb Gameboy games on a cheap handheld?

smallmedicap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking into cheap handhelds that have a micro sd slot. I am testing one that you can find on Amazon by searching CredevZone x350. As far as I know, no one updates firmware for this one.

It plays Gameboy decently but there is a pretty significant problem: It refuses to open the 32kb Gameboy games. (Gameboy games were either 32kb, 64kb, 128kb, 256kb, or 512kb, with a handful that were 1024kb.) Only on the 32kb games does it say "Invalid File Format".

It seems like this should be a glitch that might be circumvented simply by editing the file instead of the problem actually being fixed.

I have tried appending 32768 bytes to the end of the game using a hex editor. Both with 00s and FFs. I have tried appending a duplicate of the entire 32kb bank to the end of the file. I still have the same glitch. I have also tried formatting the micro sd in various ways.

Perhaps it will require editing the header which I am only barely familiar with.

I have done some research on why this glitch might be occurring. (Some related information is in this nesdev thread.)

Oddly enough this thing comes with a "loaded" 8gb card, and of the 100 GBC/GB games, 4 of them are 32kb games. (Tetris, Dr. Mario, and a couple others.) Which don't work.

smallmedicap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much hippy dave. You are awesome.

I changed 0147 (Cartridge Type) from 00 (ROM only) to 01 (MBC1) and that did it. I tested on a few of the 40 or so 32kb US Gameboy games and they all went from not working to working on this handheld.

• Love
Reactions: hippy dave

smallmedicap

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a simple .ips patch to make it easier to change that value (which makes the 32kb Gameboy games actually work on this handheld). I used it to patch the rest of them and they all work fine now.

Attachments

• x350gameboy32kbFIX.zip
    192 bytes · Views: 42
Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew