Homebrew Question Any risk if I play homebrew/emulators on my Switch?

KnifeCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,
So as I'm posting this (10th October 2019), my Switch firmware is the latest, 9.0.1
I was wondering: if I only play homebrew/emulators on my Switch, are there any potential risks? How do I do it, also?
Important to know:
I DO NOT WANT and AM NOT LOOKING to install any CFW or permanent firmware/exploit, just something like that Wii U web exploit, or the henKAKU exploit on the Vita. Just some homebrew launcher that I can easily cancel off by a reboot.
Important to know too: I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY ANY PIRATED SWITCH GAMES. Not yet.

So yeah, are there any user or console ban/console brick/warranty void risks if I do so?
Thanks!

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Risk of ban? Yes. There is and you probably would get banned.

Risk of brick? Not so much, unless you run some shady stuff, but if you use the regular stuff, i would say you are good.

Also, how can you launch homebrew apps/emulators without installing CFW? Im pretty sure you have to on 9.0.1 but yeah, after a reboot it would be "off".

Reactions: dxxshore

CKkio23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
So as I'm posting this (10th October 2019), my Switch firmware is the latest, 9.0.1
I was wondering: if I only play homebrew/emulators on my Switch, are there any potential risks? How do I do it, also?
Important to know:
I DO NOT WANT and AM NOT LOOKING to install any CFW or permanent firmware/exploit, just something like that Wii U web exploit, or the henKAKU exploit on the Vita. Just some homebrew launcher that I can easily cancel off by a reboot.
Important to know too: I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY ANY PIRATED SWITCH GAMES. Not yet.

So yeah, are there any user or console ban/console brick/warranty void risks if I do so?
Thanks!

You can create an EMUMMC and play homebrew. Just make sure you have no wifi connection enabled or clear this as making one is an exact copy of your system.
Then just play offline and DO NOT CONNECT INTERNET.

When play legit power off and remove sd card with emummc.

KnifeCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can create an EMUMMC and play homebrew. Just make sure you have no wifi connection enabled or clear this as making one is an exact copy of your system.
Then just play offline and DO NOT CONNECT INTERNET.

When play legit power off and remove sd card with emummc.
I need a separate SD card?
achoo...

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There have been no confirmed bans of people who only use homebrew. Pretty much everybody who only uses homebrew and does nothing naughty is still unbanned.

Nintendo seem to ban for the following:

1) installing NSPs - this includes both piracy and homebrew NSPs
2) cheating online

Nobody can second guess Nintendo and say you will never, ever get banned. However, all qualified and verified evidence suggests that if you use a telemetry-disabling CFW like Atmosphere/Kosmos and load homebrew by holding R on any title, you will not get banned.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to be a little more paranoid, you can also run Android or Linux, and have access to all the same emulators plus several more, as well as their own library of games. These run entirely off their own SD card and don't interact with Nintendo servers at all, so there's no risk of ban. They do have drawbacks and some other finicky behavior, but it also opens up many apps that aren't available for Switch's native OS.

KnifeCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to be a little more paranoid, you can also run Android or Linux, and have access to all the same emulators plus several more, as well as their own library of games. These run entirely off their own SD card and don't interact with Nintendo servers at all, so there's no risk of ban. They do have drawbacks and some other finicky behavior, but it also opens up many apps that aren't available for Switch's native OS.
Yes.... but no. I'm picky: I just want them on the Switch homebrew, no passthrough to an OS, just on the plain switch.

KnifeCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There have been no confirmed bans of people who only use homebrew. Pretty much everybody who only uses homebrew and does nothing naughty is still unbanned.

Nintendo seem to ban for the following:

1) installing NSPs - this includes both piracy and homebrew NSPs
2) cheating online

Nobody can second guess Nintendo and say you will never, ever get banned. However, all qualified and verified evidence suggests that if you use a telemetry-disabling CFW like Atmosphere/Kosmos and load homebrew by holding R on any title, you will not get banned.
So, that's a no-no in my book.
Well then. Time to bring my Vita with me if I want to play emulators or Doom

Envoyé de mon SM-G925W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: happy pride month guys