Homebrew Any *simple* ideas for my tech class?

Monado_III

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This repo is done in C, it looks like a better place to start :)
https://github.com/devshane/zork
lol -> "This version of dungeon has been modified from FORTRAN to C. The original was written in DEC FORTRAN, translated from MDL. It was then translated to f77 for UN*X systems, from which it was translated to C. The C translation was done with the help of f2c, the FORTRAN to C translator written by David Gay (AT&T Bell Labs), Stu Feldman (Bellcore), Mark Maimone (Carnegie-Mellon University), and Norm Schryer (AT&T Bell Labs)."

davidlc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
or this, port an rpg that started as a gba homebrew, powder RPG, source is here http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=release
In that case, it better be Pixel Dungeon (https://github.com/watabou/pixel-dungeon), it's an amazing game, lovely style and the best rougelike game for beginers. But this misses the point of OP, it looks like he's learning the basics so a graphic project would be more complex. My opinion is to start with something like the zork port :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

lol -> "This version of dungeon has been modified from FORTRAN to C. The original was written in DEC FORTRAN, translated from MDL. It was then translated to f77 for UN*X systems, from which it was translated to C. The C translation was done with the help of f2c, the FORTRAN to C translator written by David Gay (AT&T Bell Labs), Stu Feldman (Bellcore), Mark Maimone (Carnegie-Mellon University), and Norm Schryer (AT&T Bell Labs)."
What's wrong with that statement?

Monado_III

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In that case, it better be Pixel Dungeon (https://github.com/watabou/pixel-dungeon), it's an amazing game, lovely style and the best rougelike game for beginers. But this misses the point of OP, it looks like he's learning the basics so a graphic project would be more complex. My opinion is to start with something like the zork port :)

What's wrong with that statement?
if you look at the code it's full of bad practice/old practices, there's a switch statement that uses like 10+ goto's, which, as far as I can tell, is entirely unessecary, and
Code:
void main(argc, argv)
.(Not that that repo won't be useful, it's just the first time I've seen code from before the 80's 90's)

Last edited by Monado_III,

Afonso Mralha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
:( the only thing i have to make at programming class in college is a lame console version of picross in python (by myself).

This is off-topic, sorry, but I start my IST classes next year and was thinking about what if my teacher asked us to do this? :) Lol
what do you mean by IST exactly?

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. You really think you could just write some awesome homebrew for the 3Ds with just a little bit of programming knowledge ? maybe you should start with DS ?
2. How would a 3DS Homebrew benefit anyone in your school except the 2 or 3 people with hacked 3dses ?
3. well I know 3ds is a technical device and all but I assume your Teacher might preffer something "normal" like setting up a Server that can give out a bootable windows Image so you could just use PSX boot to install a lot of new Computer all at one ... or maybe setting up a good and working domain for your school if this is not done already ... or setting up a Mailserver, looking for the prices for VPN connections so that the teacher could login to the domain from home if there is one ...

justinjustin7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or this, port an rpg that started as a gba homebrew, powder RPG, source is here http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=release

In that case, it better be Pixel Dungeon (https://github.com/watabou/pixel-dungeon), it's an amazing game, lovely style and the best rougelike game for beginers.

I believe in both of these cases, the libraries for the games would need to be ported first. SDL for powder and the "unnamed game library" for Pixel Dungeon.

Mr. Elementle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3ds could really use an epub reader, it would only need a filer lister, so no gui needed, plus ikureader (the one for the ds) is open source so you wouldn't have to start from scratch you could work off its source code

Monado_III

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. You really think you could just write some awesome homebrew for the 3Ds with just a little bit of programming knowledge ? maybe you should start with DS ?
2. How would a 3DS Homebrew benefit anyone in your school except the 2 or 3 people with hacked 3dses ?
3. well I know 3ds is a technical device and all but I assume your Teacher might preffer something "normal" like setting up a Server that can give out a bootable windows Image so you could just use PSX boot to install a lot of new Computer all at one ... or maybe setting up a good and working domain for your school if this is not done already ... or setting up a Mailserver, looking for the prices for VPN connections so that the teacher could login to the domain from home if there is one ...
1. I have a fair bit of knowledge (of the C standard at least), and I've actively looked at resources, ctrulib examples etc. for the 3ds
2. It doesn't have to, I could just either release the source and boom, I've "benefited the (homebrew) community".
3. He doesn't care, again, this course is extremely loose on what you can do

Last edited by Monado_III,

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would you rather do, a game or an app? Do something that interests you, if you start something just because it sounds easy you might get bored halfway into that project and give up.

If you want to do an app, what application do you use on your day to day life that you think would be cool to recreate.
If you want to do a game, what are you're favorite games, take some ideas from them and use it as a starting point for you own.

Reactions: Monado_III

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1