Gaming Any way to play the PSX version of Valkyrie Profile in a PSP?

garache

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any way to do it? The game just keeps freezing in the first cutscene. I have tried several versions, but the outcome is always the same.

SCO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wiki says the versions are the same except movies (and slightly buggier):

In 2006, Square-Enix outsourced an enhanced-port of Valkyrie Profile to the Sony PlayStation Portable. Based on the original Japanese Version, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth lacks the improvement made in US version. Rather than re-rendering the textures of the dungeon maps, TOSE cropped and upscaled the pre-rendered images to fit the portable console's screen, resulting in severe blurring in some areas. This version also removes the anime opening movie in favor of a computer-generated, animated movie. Certain key story-sequences were animated in the same style as the opening movie and can be viewed at anytime in the Gallery option in the title screen once unlocked in the story. The animated scenes include:

• Opening Movie
  • Lenneth's Awakening
  • Jelanda's Transformation
  • Alicia witnesses Barbarossa's execution
  • Lenneth's encounter with the Lord of the Undead
  • Lenneth and the Homunculi
  • A chance encounter between "Meril" and Lucian
  • Lenneth in Weeping Lily Meadow
  • Lucian's departure to Valhalla
  • Hrist's Awakening
  • The Sovereign's Rite
  • A Ending
What they should have changed instead is the horrid music (who i've had delusional rock-jrpg fans tell me was one of the best soundtracks on the system). The 'movie style' doesn't look so hot from the images.

'Improvements' (bug fixes) in the USA version apparently not on Lenneth if this wiki is to be trusted:

Nearly identical to the Japan version but with minor fixes in the menu screen. In the Japanese version, Characters not in the party were unable to change or learn skills nor were they able change or remove equipment. The US version allowed out of party members to change and learn skills as well as change or remove equipment without being added to the party. Also in the Japanese version, Lenneth would unequip all her skills and equipment when switching between sword and bow. The US version 'remembers' the previous setting when switching weaponry and is automatically equipped with the skills and equip. Another improvement over the Japanese version is an improved item sorting option.

Last edited by SCO,
Reactions: BasedKiliK

MeteoXavier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The music is awesome - the problem is you. Although it still could stand better mixing, the soundtrack still stands as one hell of an achievement in the medium.

More ontopic, I also chime in that you should just try the PSP version. It would be the best solution for the core of what you're trying to get out of it.

SCO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes the 'great' music of VP such as this:

or this lovely idea for a leitmotiv using electric guitar

I actually find it amazing that a soundtrack with 75 songs (or whatever bloated number it is) can feel so repetitive but no doubt that's because of the dungeon and battle themes, that to be fair aren't the worst songs. I'm actually sure there is a more terrible example because i recall being completely fed up with a horrid electric guitar on a segment of Lezard Tower, but i can't find it now (maybe it's Hard Chain Reaction after 5 hours of dungeon music, not sure).

To be fair there are fine songs too (for individual scenes) but it's pretty uninspired and occasionally bad in general. The english voice acting is consistently entertainingly campy though, no matter how many times you hear it (and you'll hear it many times). Undubbing this game is some sort of crime against camp. Regardless, this game convinced me that rock + ps1 samples + long rpgs dungeons just don't mix. Maybe the music on the ps1 is actually different because of better samples on the psp or something.

Also recommending the PSP version *again* when it's objectively the worst version unless you're so superficial that you find plastic FMVs better than in-game engine cutscenes has no valid justification, especially when you get distorted scaled textures and extra bugs on top. Unless that is, the music is actually different. I hate it when a lazy port happens and not using the most updated code is the epitome of lazy imo.

Last edited by SCO,
  • Haha
Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3