Apple is being sued for antitrust violations by the Department of Justice of the US

Screenshot from 2024-03-21 08-41-22.png

The 2nd biggest technology company in the world, Apple, is being sued by none other than the Department of Justice of the United States, filed for antitrust violations according to the lawsuit.

The suit will be filed in a federal court in New Jersey, and according to people involved in the matter, the lawsuit could take place as soon as today, but it remains to be seen. This lawsuit comes alongside a surplus of other lawsuits and antitrust violations in the technology space, with other examples being the lawsuit against Google for monopolization and app store policies, and other lawsuits against Meta and Amazon in the same vein, and even Apple itself is also a target in Europe due to plausible anticompetitive behaviour regarding its app store and shutting down apparent rivals from it.

The pivotal point for this lawsuit comes from the claim that Apple is "unlawfully violating antitrust laws by blocking rivals from accessing hardware and software features of its iPhone", as well as other breaches.

As of the time of writing, neither Apple nor the DOJ have given any comments regarding the lawsuit.

:arrow: Source

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
I was referring to software updates:
https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

Note: I double checked and the A34 is only guaranteed for 4 years of updates when I looked elsewhere.

Ahh, Is see. I don't know how newer the A34 is to the A50, but the minute I gotten my phone is when it stopped giving it software updates.
ust like Microsoft they stole their technology from xerox
What are you talking about with this? I'd love to know more about it

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true, Samsung has been known for deliberately copying Apple's hardware changes after mocking them for it. I remember when they've done it to the Headphone jack and then to removing the charger when you get a new phone.
The phone I have (A52s) has the headphone jack and SD card slot so it's really good in terms of specs, and I've kept it in excellent condition so it annoys me that Samsung themselves released a software update that was buggy.

I really don't want to format factory it and install it all again because it's just a pain in the ass. I'll just wait.
Thank god I don't have an iPhone, only an Amazon Fire Tablet. (I sometimes use the black iPhone that is rarely used by my parents and me only if I get permission from my parents)
I used the Fire Toolbox on XDA to debloat the shit out of my Amazon Fire tablet and I love it. No Amazon crap on it, well, except the UI stuff that can't be removed (For You tab, Library tab, Register Device bubble, and the Search tab) I mean, I could just use a launcher, but I kind of dig the Fire launcher for its simplicity.

Amazon can go f* themselves for shipping tablets with bloatware and ads (people who don't know about this either pay Amazon to remove the ads or see the ads as it is and some say "it's not that big of a deal").

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
The phone I have (A52s) has the headphone jack and SD card slot so it's really good in terms of specs, and I've kept it in excellent condition so it annoys me that Samsung themselves released a software update that was buggy.
My phone has also been functional, but my phone sometimes takes the SD Card and the Sim Card out of my phone despite being inside of the phone.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh, Is see. I don't know how newer the A34 is to the A50, but the minute I gotten my phone is when it stopped giving it software updates.

The A50 was launched in 2019, so it would have lost support by now anyway if it was subject to the new phone update policy.

But out of curiosity, when did you buy your phone?

Reactions: DragonMals

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sideloading like Apple will be doing... Alternative app stores they control and monetize. lol

Don't jinx it. Samsung makes good phones/tablets, but in my case their buggy software update has made the near top of the phone unusable so I'm still waiting for an update to fix that.

This'll be my final Samsung phone I ever own.

Good luck I'm waiting, far from the first time they've done this.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
I never jailbroken an iPhone before; compared to a stock android phone and a jailbroken iPhone, what can you do with the latter?

auntnadia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This has nothing to do with Apple refusing to unlock a phone for the FBI 3 years ago and making them look stupid. Nope, it’s because the department of justice are all about fairness for consumers.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ironically Samsung is one of the better companies when it comes to updates, even the lower/mid end A34 is getting 5 years of security updates (from when it launched).

Support length was one of the reasons I bought from Apple in the past over Android.

Not saying issues don't happen though, one update for my old Siii made me downgrade because it was so bad (I had just started a new job so phone access was important). These days I usually wait at least a week before updating anything if I can because by then I'd expect to hear reports of any issues.

Edit: Double checked and my initial source seems to be wrong, the A34 gets 4 years minimum of support whilst certain other models get 5:

Could vary by region, but when it launched here (UK) Samsung said 4 years for os, 5 years for Security.

https://news.samsung.com/uk/the-samsung-galaxy-a54-5g-and-galaxy-a34-5g-awesome-experiences-for-all

"Galaxy A54 5G and Galaxy A34 5G also guarantee up to four generations of OS upgrades and five years of security updates. These features allow users to access the latest software and security to maximise the smartphone lifecycle."

Here https://security.samsungmobile.com/securityPost.smsb

Does say 5 years for select A series devices, but then does say at the bottom "Availability of security update support may vary by device and market" so they could be shafting some markets.

4 years is still a lot better than a lot of other brands.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ironically Samsung is one of the better companies when it comes to updates, even the lower/mid end A34 is getting 5 years of security updates (from when it launched).

Support length was one of the reasons I bought from Apple in the past over Android.

Not saying issues don't happen though, one update for my old Siii made me downgrade because it was so bad (I had just started a new job so phone access was important). These days I usually wait at least a week before updating anything if I can because by then I'd expect to hear reports of any issues.

Edit: Double checked and my initial source seems to be wrong, the A34 gets 4 years minimum of support whilst certain other models get 5:
So just gonna say that they weren’t always the best but most people installed custom ROMs for future updates. What I do praise them for is actually listening to their customers and actually providing better update and better future support, even for their low to mid range phones. Honestly, the biggest thing holding Samsung back (in my opinion,) is Android. I would love for them to fully commit to an Android-fork or custom Linux-based OS to compete with Android. Then maybe they might get software that actually makes their camera hardware worth a shit

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ha.. Ha.. Ha..

Just like they'll allow sideloading.
A Catboy can only hope that Apple finally gets enough of beating from all fronts that they finally drop the Job’s narcissistic business model

LunarPurin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no, how unexpected.
This was a long time coming and I really hope it goes somewhere. Apple might find a loophole like they did with their Type-C adapters, but I'm hoping this is finally a means to an end for what they've been pulling

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
So just gonna say that they weren’t always the best but most people installed custom ROMs for future updates. What I do praise them for is actually listening to their customers and actually providing better update and better future support, even for their low to mid range phones. Honestly, the biggest thing holding Samsung back (in my opinion,) is Android. I would love for them to fully commit to an Android-fork or custom Linux-based OS to compete with Android. Then maybe they might get software that actually makes their camera hardware worth a shit

Samsung is arguably one of the worst when it comes to custom ROMs, especially in Europe where they relied more on Exynos (although that has declined over the last few years). Let alone things like their root flag and later the E-Fuse introduced with Knox.

Custom ROMs in general I've found a mixed bag in terms of stability and availability, I'd advise buying a device with official support from somewhere like lineage OS first. This also ignores the cat and mouse games with anti-root protections.

This is why I prefer long term official support over a shorter term and relying on custom ROMs.

Samsung actually does have their own OS, Tizen, but it never really took off and was relegated to TVs and older smartwatches.

Could vary by region, but when it launched here (UK) Samsung said 4 years for os, 5 years for Security.

https://news.samsung.com/uk/the-samsung-galaxy-a54-5g-and-galaxy-a34-5g-awesome-experiences-for-all

"Galaxy A54 5G and Galaxy A34 5G also guarantee up to four generations of OS upgrades and five years of security updates. These features allow users to access the latest software and security to maximise the smartphone lifecycle."

Here https://security.samsungmobile.com/securityPost.smsb

Does say 5 years for select A series devices, but then does say at the bottom "Availability of security update support may vary by device and market" so they could be shafting some markets.

4 years is still a lot better than a lot of other brands.

I just found this site:
https://endoflife.date/samsung-mobile

So apparently the phone will be supported until March 2028, although I can't verify their source.

Still, I know in my head when I bought it I had at least 2027, I actually went for this over Motorola (their preferred brand prior to this, despite the shorter support life over e.g. Nokia) because it wasn't that much more to receive the longer support.

Tell that to Nintendo.

The only thing that concerns me about consoles being forced to open up is that it could potentially increase the cost of hardware/services as they try to make up for the short fall in revenue.

That said, it would be nice to have a decent media player on the Switch.

On a side note, I hope Sony is forced to allow digital sales to be sold by third parties and they're sold in a similar way to physical, that I could see being more likely to benefit consumers over targeting the 30% cut.

jeremy2020

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always feel conflicted. Apple certainly is doing stuff they should be sued for, but then I always wonder who's really behind these suits and if the user is going to actually benefit or it's another giant corporation is going to benefit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye