Apple is being sued for antitrust violations by the Department of Justice of the US

Screenshot from 2024-03-21 08-41-22.png

The 2nd biggest technology company in the world, Apple, is being sued by none other than the Department of Justice of the United States, filed for antitrust violations according to the lawsuit.

The suit will be filed in a federal court in New Jersey, and according to people involved in the matter, the lawsuit could take place as soon as today, but it remains to be seen. This lawsuit comes alongside a surplus of other lawsuits and antitrust violations in the technology space, with other examples being the lawsuit against Google for monopolization and app store policies, and other lawsuits against Meta and Amazon in the same vein, and even Apple itself is also a target in Europe due to plausible anticompetitive behaviour regarding its app store and shutting down apparent rivals from it.

The pivotal point for this lawsuit comes from the claim that Apple is "unlawfully violating antitrust laws by blocking rivals from accessing hardware and software features of its iPhone", as well as other breaches.

As of the time of writing, neither Apple nor the DOJ have given any comments regarding the lawsuit.

:arrow: Source

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still, I know in my head when I bought it I had at least 2027, I actually went for this over Motorola (their preferred brand prior to this, despite the shorter support life over e.g. Nokia) because it wasn't that much more to receive the longer support.

Are you me? I was also on Motorola before going over to the A34 because of the longer support.

I wish Motorola would increase their support length. While their regional variants are a bit weird (nfc often missing from NA models), there is normally a decent phone at most price points and the almost stock Android is nice.

I do have to give them credit for not being an arse about bootloader unlocking. No messing around, will just give you a code at the cost of the warranty.

Reactions: tech3475

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sideloading like Apple will be doing... Alternative app stores they control and monetize. lol
What Apple is doing (and getting away with) is rubbish and not sideloading and not lol.

What is needed here is a zero-tolerance law.

1. Every company is forced to allow sideloading arbitrary code locally starting from [date] on all of their platforms.
2. The following exemptions and legal tricks are allowed:

[nothing]​

3. Failing to fully(!) comply will cost the company 1% of their yearly income a day. Trying to circumvent the law will cost the company 10% of their yearly income per try. Example trick for circumventing the law would be reduced hardware performance for sideloading "for security reasons to not impact console DRM"
=============

Sorry, I'm fed up with the BS coming from big tech. At least in Europe things Apple (and Google, and Microsoft, and Nintendo, and…) do are illegal on many levels. But in practice nothing happens (and such violations get defended with juristic tricks and propaganda and "too big to fail"). I've no idea why European countries don't do the same what the USA did when Volkswagen violated local laws. That is the way to go. Financial penalties that really hurt.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you me? I was also on Motorola before going over to the A34 because of the longer support.

I wish Motorola would increase their support length. While their regional variants are a bit weird (nfc often missing from NA models), there is normally a decent phone at most price points and the almost stock Android is nice.

I do have to give them credit for not being an arse about bootloader unlocking. No messing around, will just give you a code at the cost of the warranty.

Sorry, I should have been clear, I had bought it for someone else as a gift and they previously preferred Moto Gs.

That said, I've had a Moto G in the past and they're a perfectly decent line of budget phones. I'd likely have bought one for them instead if not for the lesser support.

edit:

Also, I like how Samsung has official software to make backups easier. Yes there are alternatives, but sometimes I like just pressing the backup button and not having to worry about files not copying over properly (has happened before, thank you MTP).

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: Armadillo

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
The way the title got clipped at the forum list, I thought it said that "Apple is being sued for antichrist"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could not have happened to a more deserving lout of a company.

Theyre already guilty. Bury them. Drill them hard. Arrest the whole board of directors.

Bury Tim Cook *under* the jail. Anything less is too good for that slime bag.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could not have happened to a more deserving lout of a company.

Theyre already guilty. Bury them. Drill them hard. Arrest the whole board of directors.

Bury Tim Cook *under* the jail. Anything less is too good for that slime bag.
Tim Apple really turned the Apple franchise into the EA of phones/tablets. 😆

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing Will come of this more than likely, they will pay a fine and continue to do scummy practices. on another note i think sd storage or a form of user installed storage should be manditory on all devices too someone should work that into law. then I can upgrade from my note 20 ultra one day.

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn Apple, getting into issues with the US! Thank GOODNESS I now am a Proud Samsung User.
ehh Samsung is shitty too, can't install custom ROMs on their phones or root them without bypasses.

Really interested to see where this case goes since Apple has been skirting their responsibilities with every ruling against them for the past ~3 years, they're literally the definition of malicious compliance. Glad to see the US government actually trustbusting for once

Reactions: Lostbhoy

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn Apple, getting into issues with the US! Thank GOODNESS I now am a Proud Samsung User.
Sir? Samsung literally decided to make exploding batteries a real thing. They're only butthurt they got caught out with it as of the Note 7.

Also, Samsung has its own goddamn standing military. What the fuck are you on about?

Samsung used to be the GOAT, and IMO peaked with the Galaxy S 3. Root and jailbroken in minutes, and community even had tuned ROMs for the thing all the way up to Android 10.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
can't install custom ROMs on their phones or root them without bypasses

Samsung literally decided to make exploding batteries a real thing. They're only butthurt they got caught out with it as of the Note 7.

Also, Samsung has its own goddamn standing military. What the fuck are you on about?

You have to understand that I didn't knew any of this information outside of the exploding batteries of the note 7 and the fact that copied Apple's anti consumer practices with the iPhone 7 and forward.

Although Samsung having their own military is a damn thing. I've said what I've said because of the above and because I didn't have much problems with using Samsung phones. But then again, if Samsung themselves are bad, I want to know other great phones to get so I don't have to stop using them anymore (I might or might not do that because I've already destroyed my Pc trying to remove Linux off of there after getting too many reccomends from everyone)

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Samsung is arguably one of the worst when it comes to custom ROMs, especially in Europe where they relied more on Exynos (although that has declined over the last few years). Let alone things like their root flag and later the E-Fuse introduced with Knox.

Custom ROMs in general I've found a mixed bag in terms of stability and availability, I'd advise buying a device with official support from somewhere like lineage OS first. This also ignores the cat and mouse games with anti-root protections.

This is why I prefer long term official support over a shorter term and relying on custom ROMs.

Samsung actually does have their own OS, Tizen, but it never really took off and was relegated to TVs and older smartwatches.

I just found this site:
https://endoflife.date/samsung-mobile

So apparently the phone will be supported until March 2028, although I can't verify their source.

Still, I know in my head when I bought it I had at least 2027, I actually went for this over Motorola (their preferred brand prior to this, despite the shorter support life over e.g. Nokia) because it wasn't that much more to receive the longer support.

The only thing that concerns me about consoles being forced to open up is that it could potentially increase the cost of hardware/services as they try to make up for the short fall in revenue.

That said, it would be nice to have a decent media player on the Switch.

On a side note, I hope Sony is forced to allow digital sales to be sold by third parties and they're sold in a similar way to physical, that I could see being more likely to benefit consumers over targeting the 30% cut.
Phones these days have specs so good they could have support for several years, but companies don't care about that, they just want people to buy another one in 2-3 years again.

Seems like a waste. I guess it could be used for emulation though if you don't do that then there's not much else.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Speaking of Samsung, does anyone know a good Android phone that will work with the latest version of Android that isn't Samsung? If they are bad, then what other phones can you get? I have an LG Stylo 2V that absolutely sucks, and I used to have a Morotola that ran on Android 4.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, but, but… anybody agreed on the TOS when signing up. And it is all about security with the walled garden app store and the DRM spare parts! Think of the children!
So no problem with their shitty behavior.

D*amn. Somehow any big company becomes evil at some point. Apple is a prime example for being evil.

Yes. Force them to provide sideloading apps on Switch!
No, not a joke. Providing a method for executing own code on a paid computer should be mandatory.
I mean ya dev mode for Xbox One (Series)/S/X has saved them the humiliaton of having those systems hacked (plus they make a little extra cash to boot) i really wished sony/nintendo took notes on that (they didn't obviously) yes part of it's piracy related but those who release hack consoles don't intend it to be, I'd still be happy with a sandboxed environment like dev mode rather than completely locked down

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...