Apple is being sued for antitrust violations by the Department of Justice of the US

Screenshot from 2024-03-21 08-41-22.png

The 2nd biggest technology company in the world, Apple, is being sued by none other than the Department of Justice of the United States, filed for antitrust violations according to the lawsuit.

The suit will be filed in a federal court in New Jersey, and according to people involved in the matter, the lawsuit could take place as soon as today, but it remains to be seen. This lawsuit comes alongside a surplus of other lawsuits and antitrust violations in the technology space, with other examples being the lawsuit against Google for monopolization and app store policies, and other lawsuits against Meta and Amazon in the same vein, and even Apple itself is also a target in Europe due to plausible anticompetitive behaviour regarding its app store and shutting down apparent rivals from it.

The pivotal point for this lawsuit comes from the claim that Apple is "unlawfully violating antitrust laws by blocking rivals from accessing hardware and software features of its iPhone", as well as other breaches.

As of the time of writing, neither Apple nor the DOJ have given any comments regarding the lawsuit.

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of Samsung, does anyone know a good Android phone that will work with the latest version of Android that isn't Samsung? If they are bad, then what other phones can you get? I have an LG Stylo 2V that absolutely sucks, and I used to have a Morotola that ran on Android 4.
Depends on the budget.

Pixel looks like what I'll get next time.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of Samsung, does anyone know a good Android phone that will work with the latest version of Android that isn't Samsung? If they are bad, then what other phones can you get? I have an LG Stylo 2V that absolutely sucks, and I used to have a Morotola that ran on Android 4.
I love my Nothing Phone 1 (just got Android 14) but they just released the 2 which looks good. They're mid range with a bit of oomph but I'm playing Yuzu on mine no probs! Even totk runs! Aesthetically their gorgeous tho!
Post automatically merged:

Depends on the budget.

Pixel looks like what I'll get next time.
Funnily enough, my phone is like a Pixel clone... Very similar to the 6a I think!

Reactions: Marc_LFD

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As a former MSFT employee from the early to mid 90s, I find this hilarious.
Apple was scum from day 1, just like Microsoft they stole their technology from xerox
Your history is WAY off. In fact Xerox execs in New York ordered their Palo Alto employees to show the Apple employees everything. And saying "their technology" is incredibly misleading as it implies that Xerox invented everything, which they clearly didn't. Apple in day 1 (1975) was making a single board computer that had nothing to do with Xerox. Then they made the Apple II series, which also had nothing to do with Xerox. It wasn't until the early 80s that they came up with their own graphical user interface similar to, but also superior to, what Xerox had showed them. So clearly Apple wasn't "scum from day 1." Xerox did sue Apple in the late 80s after Apple sued MSFT (MSFT had actually licensed some Apple technology/patents in order to make Windows, but Apple didn't like the fact that MSFT had the audacity to keep making Windows better, so they sued). But both lawsuits were unsuccessful. Xerox NEVER sued Microsoft, so they themselves tell you that you are 100% wrong about Microsoft "stole" their technology from Xerox. And if Xerox PARC had never existed, we still would have had graphical user interfaces in the 80s. That was inevitable and Xerox wasn't the only company working on them in the 70s.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Future of antitrust lawsuits are depending on presidential elections.

If Trump wins the election so most of antitrust lawsuits are very likely to thrown out or settlement in tech companies' favors.

As for reason, I just yawn at news coverage on antitrust lawsuits.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Future of antitrust lawsuits are depending on presidential elections.

If Trump wins the election so most of antitrust lawsuits are very likely to thrown out or settlement in tech companies' favors.

As for reason, I just yawn at news coverage on antitrust lawsuits.
Trump help Tim Apple?

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trump help Tim Apple?
Apple is twisted corporation and corporations tend to side with Trump.

If Apple violated antitrust laws, so Trump's reaction would be nothing or silent, basically condone about what corporations are doing but... there is a catch, Apple would have to be friendly or nice to Trump to earn a respect.

I'm not fan of horrible politics in the US and I want someone who is moderate, not far left or far right.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apple is twisted corporation and corporations tend to side with Trump.

If Apple violated antitrust laws, so Trump's reaction would be nothing or silent, basically condone about what corporations are doing but... there is a catch, Apple would have to be friendly or nice to Trump to earn a respect.

I'm not fan of horrible politics in the US and I want someone who is moderate, not far left or far right.
Would be nice if a third party win. JFK seems wonky though, no more vaccine for Americans if he wins.

Apple get sued all the time. This is for show. Apple is well connected with both parties. Don't let the refusal to help them with Apple watch fool you.

Locking NFC is ridiculous and they should pay customer some money to compensate.

Buy once and use everywhere and share with family is great though.

Last edited by TomSwitch,
Reactions: JeepX87

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JFK seems wonky though, no more vaccine for Americans if he wins.
Good luck to JFK Jr. and best scenario for him would be order NIH to cease any research related to vaccine and he cannot stop anyone who make decision to get vaccinated or not, however herd immunity may go down as more parents opt out of vaccines due to peer pressure or if become contentious, they may have to be silent and not discuss about vaccination.

It is near impossible for third party to win the presidential election, tho.

Apple get sued all the time. This is for show. Apple is well connected with both parties. Don't let the refusal to help them with Apple watch fool you.
Yeah, it has been around for years and patent trolls go after Apple all time, especially court in eastern part of Texas. Apple had to close Apple stores in their district to escape from patent trolls but not stop completely because patent trolls still get Apple in Delaware.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In this case does "antitrust == no industrial secrecy"?

So Apple is being sued for not sharing their results from research regarding software and hardware?

This doesn't make sense in a country where IP is being guarded by a Cerberus horde.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Ew, don't bring that Reddit trash here.

/s isn't exclusive to reddit, in fact I learned of it elsewhere.

Besides, this is one of only two common ways of expressing sarcasm through text online I'm aware of, with the other being the up down case such as:
ApPlE iS NeVeR wRoNg

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this case does "antitrust == no industrial secrecy"?

So Apple is being sued for not sharing their results from research regarding software and hardware?

This doesn't make sense in a country where IP is being guarded by a Cerberus horde.
No, it's about the bully that don't let other kids play in the playground.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of Samsung, does anyone know a good Android phone that will work with the latest version of Android that isn't Samsung? If they are bad, then what other phones can you get?

Unless you want to use custom roms (which come with their own headaches anyway, like fighting with safetynet), I'm not sure what's suppose to be "bad" with them.

I switched from a moto g6+ on stock android (custom rom, lineageos, so 100% stock android) to a Samsung A34 & haven't had any issues with it. Good screen, decent enough hardware for the price (often has some sort of sale here) and 5 years of support so I don't have to mess with custom roms.

Could probably get better hardware from less popular brands, but then you might not get timely updates and long support.

Coming from stock Android, OneUi isn't horrible, there's a small thing here or there I don't like, but nothing major.

I've not had any reason to regret it or write off the brand.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Unless you want to use custom roms (which come with their own headaches anyway, like fighting with safetynet), I'm not sure what's suppose to be "bad" with them.

I switched from a moto g6+ on stock android (custom rom, lineageos, so 100% stock android) to a Samsung A34 & haven't had any issues with it. Good screen, decent enough hardware for the price (often has some sort of sale here) and 5 years of support so I don't have to mess with custom roms.

Could probably get better hardware from less popular brands, but then you might not get timely updates and long support.

Coming from stock Android, OneUi isn't horrible, there's a small thing here or there I don't like, but nothing major.

I've not had any reason to regret it or write off the brand.
Lineage OS is one that i would love to use, yet I don't have any devices that support it. And they won't do anything about it either because you have to DIY.

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at things worldwide and not just from how people tend to align in the US, we have never had anyone far left. There are a ton of far right politicians right now, but the furthest left we seem to have elected in the US is a centrist in any other country pushing for policies that every other developed country has yet none of those countries are ever viewed as "far left". The idea that we have a "far left" here is propaganda pushed by the far right to make themselves seem less extreme. I mean, our far right is calling for a "Civil War" that isn't so much a war as them threatening to go shooting everyone in their neighborhood they deem to be "liberal", and the "far left" think we should all be able to go to the doctor without going bankrupt. Somehow "moderates" are out there saying "yeah these ideas are both too extreme to me".

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at things worldwide and not just from how people tend to align in the US, we have never had anyone far left. There are a ton of far right politicians right now, but the furthest left we seem to have elected in the US is a centrist in any other country pushing for policies that every other developed country has yet none of those countries are ever viewed as "far left". The idea that we have a "far left" here is propaganda pushed by the far right to make themselves seem less extreme. I mean, our far right is calling for a "Civil War" that isn't so much a war as them threatening to go shooting everyone in their neighborhood they deem to be "liberal", and the "far left" think we should all be able to go to the doctor without going bankrupt. Somehow "moderates" are out there saying "yeah these ideas are both too extreme to me".
Far right is just as ferocious and maybe even more so as you can see them on TV tearing people up for being not woke enough. Woke is a very bad word today because of the far left. When DEI gone from normal to far woke it also became scary as people get persecuted by the name of DEI. Tell the professors who dare to talk about science concerning gender differences there isn't a problem. Tell the women who suspect a man just walked into a women's changing room and dare to speak up there isn't a problem.

Tell me if anyone from Biden administration isn't living in fear of not being woke enough. Even if they are actually quite woke you sure they are not going to shit their pants when the far left DEI police seems to be looking their way. Anyone can complain you have DEI problem and you will be assumed guilty and become an outcast.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Hey hey!