Hacking Are all these patches necessary for the EZ4?

5%

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/bubbz/?syst...p;section=patch

I've made use of the Boktai patches (solar sensor).

I was just wondering if I should go ahead and apply all the GBA fixes to the games listed or does the EZ4 solve itself of these problems? I would check myself but my MiniSD hasn't arrived yet. I'm just preparing for any burdens now so I won't have to deal with them later.

Is there a list which indicates the certain games that needs to be specially patched for the EZ4? i.e. EEPROM. I've read somewhere Advance Wars needs to be patched due to its inability to save without it, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
yay.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All games need a save patch but EZ4 client should sort that regardless. As a rule it helps to leave roms in an unpatched and untouched state until you need them.
There are provisions for the solar sensors and the like in the patching DLL but for whatever reason the main client does not have them (older carts like the EZ1, EZ2 and EZ3 do it all automatically)

Trouble games include
classic nes/famicom mini- patches exist but just use an emulator.
dragon ball z- some patches in that link (similar protection to the nes games above)
Not sure about the English version but the Japanese version of Samurai Deeper Kyo might have had protection (no patch that I am aware of though).
boktai/solar boy django (the third game has a patch with the translation).
pokemon for the games in the series with a real time clock- time will only advance when you are playing which is fine as game days are 4 odd hours but berries grow in real time which can make things troublesome if you need that. One of the entries does not have a patch as far as I know.
warioware twisted will need a patch and there was a yoshi game with a similar setup.

Most of the patches on that link are for older flash carts.

If you are heading down this path though wander over to http://www.romhacking.net/?genre=&plat...le=&author= and see what goes- some nice little hacks there. Also in a shocking turn of events for anyone around for the 16 bit and earlier eras the European releases (especially in RPG world) are often the superior release.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
FAST6191 said:
All games need a save patch but EZ4 client should sort that regardless. As a rule it helps to leave roms in an unpatched and untouched state until you need them.
There are provisions for the solar sensors and the like in the patching DLL but for whatever reason the main client does not have them (older carts like the EZ1, EZ2 and EZ3 do it all automatically)

Trouble games include
classic nes/famicom mini- patches exist but just use an emulator.
dragon ball z- some patches in that link (similar protection to the nes games above)
Not sure about the English version but the Japanese version of Samurai Deeper Kyo might have had protection (no patch that I am aware of though).
boktai/solar boy django (the third game has a patch with the translation).
pokemon for the games in the series with a real time clock- time will only advance when you are playing which is fine as game days are 4 odd hours but berries grow in real time which can make things troublesome if you need that. One of the entries does not have a patch as far as I know.
warioware twisted will need a patch and there was a yoshi game with a similar setup.

If you are heading down this path though wander over to http://www.romhacking.net/?genre=&plat...le=&author= and see what goes- some nice little hacks there. Also in a shocking turn of events for anyone around for the 16 bit and earlier eras the European releases (especially in RPG world) are often the superior release.

144702_OBJECTION.gif

Boktai 3 won't run properly on the EZ-Flash IV. You can't double-patch games and then send them through the game manager. I tried many things to get Boktai 3 WITH translation and solar sensor to run on my EZ IV, but failed numerously. Use an emulator for it otherwise it just wont work.

5%

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
^ Hmm..I quadruple patched FF4 with the patches at romhacking.net ... so it wont work with the EZ4 then..?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I shall offer a counter objection- upon such claims I thought I would try it out myself and it appears to be running fine on my EZ4 here. No special measures (unlike fire emblem).

Multiple patches on games is an odd one- for the GBA it is easier than most of the DS stuff as GBA patches are usually IPS/UPS and just deal with their little thing and do not shift data around unlike many DS patches. The only trouble will come if the patches use the same memory or rom space (or hack the same thing). For the most part though this does not happen and patch makers will look to see what else exists in the realms and build their new patch around it or incorporate such things into a new patch.

5%

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Trouble games include

As suspected. Thanks for the heads up I'll go ahead and patch a couple

FAST6191 said:
If you are heading down this path though wander over to http://www.romhacking.net/?genre=&plat...le=&author= and see what goes- some nice little hacks there.

I grabbed a bunch from there, especially thankful for the improvement patches i.e. font enhancement. It makes you wonder why such improvements weren't implemented with the original release
ph34r.gif

FAST6191 said:
Also in a shocking turn of events for anyone around for the 16 bit and earlier eras the European releases (especially in RPG world) are often the superior release.

I wasn't aware of this I'll keep it in mind. On instinct, I would usually go for (U) but the FF patches required (E)

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Jul 28 2010, 09:10 AM)
No special measures (unlike fire emblem).

What kind of special measures need to be taken with FE? I have almost a dozen of custom FE's
wacko.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i kinda left without giving the quote, but here it is