Homebrew Discussion Are console bans really that easy, or am I just lucky?

bananapi761

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I modded my switch right around the time the first atmosphere release came, and while I did accept the high risk of a ban, I done everything to prevent it. I kept NSP installed games and save data on a separate profile (unlinked) and SD card, and kept automatic network connection/error reporting off. And still, months later, no ban. I just rebooted my console and ejected the SD when I wanted to play online games (not backups) and I still do. I'm not ruling out the chance of a ban, maybe I'm just delaying it, maybe I'll slip up or it's just blind luck. I'd like to know if anyone has taken similar precautions, and had the same success?

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had 0 precautions and was not banned so I cannot say it is easy or hard... all I know is that I have had no problems.
(Until I purposely banned myself but before then I took no precautions and was not banned at all. The only precautions was no online play... LOL.)

EaterComputer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a crazy improbable theory that if your age on your Nintendo account is under 18 they won't ban you but I have no evidence for this other than the fact that I signed up with the birthdate of 2003 and that I never get banned when I boot on stock firmware to download game updates. (I do this often and no ban :o )

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a crazy improbable theory that if your age on your Nintendo account is under 18 they won't ban you but I have no evidence for this other than the fact that I signed up with the birthdate of 2003 and that I never get banned when I boot on stock firmware to download game updates. (I do this often and no ban :o )

Now I doubt Nintendo would be that discriminate to enforce such laws or go through that effort.... But you know. LOL IF it is..... What the hell...

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo likes to ban in waves, rather than automatically. But it sounds like it's been a while. You should check out the pinned post about bans if you want to see how other people were banned and when :P

Reactions: Pipistrele

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modded my switch right around the time the first atmosphere release came, and while I did accept the high risk of a ban, I done everything to prevent it. I kept NSP installed games and save data on a separate profile (unlinked) and SD card, and kept automatic network connection/error reporting off. And still, months later, no ban. I just rebooted my console and ejected the SD when I wanted to play online games (not backups) and I still do. I'm not ruling out the chance of a ban, maybe I'm just delaying it, maybe I'll slip up or it's just blind luck. I'd like to know if anyone has taken similar precautions, and had the same success?

Nothing to do with lucky.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've accidentally disabled airplane mode on my emunand putting it online and I'm still not banned. Although I was quick to turn it back on and didn't play any games or have anything running while it briefly did connect. I have played xci's and installed a few nsp's offline while on sysnand before switching to emunand and removing them. I'm sure my time is coming though.

D

Deleted User

as long as you only installing NSP without Certs for example Updates (DLC AND GAMES ARE BANNING) you wont get banned.
btw this thing with SD Card Ejecting...
1. the some people are saying that it can break when ejecting often
2. it doesnt help because these Certificats are saved on Consoles Hard Disk
EmuNAND is the only thing preventing EVERY ban to 100%!

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the same boat. I did a lot of questionable stuff.

I did the following:
  • Clear logs (the very first version of log clearing)
  • Play XCI offline
  • Play NSP offline
  • Use Homebrew offline
  • Boot CFW online (accidentally)
  • Install updates in OFW for the XCI and NSPs I used
  • Update firmware the official route whilst on a fusecount that shouldn't allow me to be on the FW I was on
  • Develop cheats codes(doing the stuff that would involve, I can't really remember to be honest) offline
I'm still not banned to this day and now that I use EmuNAND, soon to be EmuMMC, I'll probably never be banned unless I really fuck up.

I think one of the keys to not being banned(without an EmuNAND solution) is to do everything in airplane mode with error reporting disabled in your settings. It's obviously not a guarantee that you won't be banned but it increases your safety MASSIVELY. If I remember right, most of the bans were from playing NSP/XCI online and using LayeredFS to pirate games.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy.

I've been dealing with homebrew pretty much days after the Fusee exploit was launched and CFW was nothing more than an HBMenu replacement for the Album.
During my early testing of RetroArch on Switch, back when it was barely working, I had some logs getting dumped and submitted before that was patched with creport and such.
I used homebrew a lot, but never save editors or cheating software. And being vocal about TX, I never dipped into that can of worms (and for the better).
All of this, while having owned plenty of games on both cartridge and digitally (and I still buy through the eShop) and never once using airplane mode or alternative DNSes after Atmosphere properly launched, though at one point I do recall disabling error reporting.
And it's been this way for over a year-ish now.

Just today I got some updates downloaded in the background, I just accessed the eShop without problems and recently reinstalled my old copy of Skyrim without a fuss, all of this while using title takeover for homebrew (using N++ as the guinea pig) and sporadically re-subscribing to Online every so often (I've been encumbered with work as of late). When I do resub, I can still play Smash Ultimate online as if nothing happened, and regardless of that I'm watching YouTube almost every day. All while using Atmosphere.

I think it's safe to say, so long as you don't do anything stupid such as installing .NSPs, editing saves, piracy, or cheating online, you really shouldn't worry. Though it always helps to be active and buy/play new games every so often.

And, if it matters, I have owned a Switch since launch.

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There have been very few ban reports the past few months so it seems likely that Nintendo are simply flagging people without taking action.
So no, you're not lucky, this is happening all over.

Who knows if Nintendo will ever start mass banning everyone like M$ has been doing with the 360. Their goal seems to be not to necessarily prevent pirates from using online but rather to scare people away from pirating in the first place. Kinda makes sense when you think about it, by not banning people they have more potential customers of both eShop and NSO, and it's not like banning people who are already pirating is gonna make them stop pirating. Incidentally, the last mass bans IIRC were right before NSO launched.
People who pirate still need to pay for NSO if they want to use online, so they're still making Nintendo money even if they don't buy a single game.

But there will no doubt be more ban waves. Nintendo can't let everyone think they're safe.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What's funny is that my 3DS is banned because of one stupid mistake that I made, whereas my Switch which I've done pretty much unsafe thing on is still not banned. I don't really care about bans as I have a second, legitimate switch for playing online, it's just funny.

D

Deleted User

There is another thread on here made in the last 2 days where emunand got the whole console banned. So unless that due is trolling / lying, you are wrong on this part.
i said you are not able to get banned when you dont have WiFi Settings deleted!

a7mag3ddon

Trophies
XP
Country
Who cares really if you get banned at this point, so you cant update or play your pirate games you didnt buy ?

Fuck it...

I only ever go online now to update official firmware then back to cfw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OvD30K-KN3k